AP: Manning Wins MVP Again

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
Manning Wins Second Straight MVP
Jan 10, 10:47 AM
By BARRY WILNER

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - Peyton Manning's phenomenal season earned him his second straight Associated Press NFL Most Valuable Player Award. He was nearly a unanimous choice.

The Indianapolis Colts' star quarterback, who surpassed Dan Marino and Steve Young with his passing prowess in 2004, earned all but one of 48 votes from a national panel of sports writers and broadcasters who cover pro football. Manning tied with Steve McNair for the award last season, but this time only Atlanta quarterback Michael Vick drew a vote.

Manning joined the likes of Joe Montana, John Unitas, Steve Young and Kurt Warner as quarterbacks with two MVP awards. Brett Favre is the only player to win it three times.

"Individually, I accomplished a lot in a short period of time," Manning said. "But no question, we did not win a Super Bowl in the time I've been here as a quarterback."

Ever the team man, and ever championship-oriented, Manning refuses to concentrate on his statistics. He might have thrown for 49 touchdowns, surpassing Dan Marino's 20-year-old NFL record. And he may have shattered Young's passer rating record with a 121.1 mark. And he might have established other league marks and a bunch more team records.

But to Manning, unless it all culminates in a championship, it's not what he's after.

"Just because you played well in Week 2 or Week 10 doesn't mean anything for the playoffs," Manning said. "Except that you're capable of doing it."

Manning was capable of doing almost anything in leading the Colts to a 12-4 record and the AFC South title. They routed Denver 49-24 in the first round of the playoffs - the MVP voting was held before the postseason - and play at New England on Sunday.

He also turned two of his previously unaccomplished receivers, Reggie Wayne and Brandon Stokley, into threats almost on a par with Manning's favorite target, perennial Pro Bowler Marvin Harrison. All caught at least 10 touchdown passes and went over 1,000 yards in receiving - an unprecedented combination for three teammates.

"Peyton is such a competitor, he has such high expectations to go out and win," Wayne said. "You want to make a play for him and bail him out of tough situations."

Tough situations? Manning tends to make everything look easy.

Sort of like Young and Montana and Unitas and Warner and Favre did. But all of them have that championship along with their MVPs. Manning doesn't.

And it drives him to do even more.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I don't think anyone could argue with this.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
Well deserved...not sure anyone can stop the Colts at this point. I think they will pull if off.

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
Avery said:
I don't think anyone could argue with this.

Apperantly the idiot that voted for Michael Vick could . . .

*** was he thinking?

BrownSugar

One Classy Lady
Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
Well deserved...not sure anyone can stop the Colts at this point. I think they will pull if off.
And I hope they do, no one deserves it more than Manning, as hard as he has worked this year, and as perfect as he has been...

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Portland Fanatic said:
The only thing that can beat them is their own D. It's decent, but can they count on their offense to outscore people all the time? That's the question.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Midswat said:

*** was he thinking?

probably some blooming idiot from the Atlanta market...

Vick has no business getting any MVP votes...he had no business beign in the probowl this yr either

David

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Midswat said:

*** was he thinking?

"Michael Vick should be MVP".

That's my guess. :D

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
The only thing that can beat them is their own D. It's decent, but can they count on their offense to outscore people all the time? That's the question.
I agree...their D has been stepping it up some lately...just need a good game against the Pats.

I think the main game plan for the Pats will be ball control and keeping Payton OFF the field...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Manning winning the award was a no brainer the guy had an excellent season as well as a record breaking season with the 49 TD on the season.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
Vick has no business getting any MVP votes

I'm not sure about that. I'll agree that Vick has a lot of developing to do and is not close being a great QB. The one thing I think we have to give him, however, is that he helps that team win (which makes him a great player, even if he isn't a great QB). What we've seen over the past three years is that, with him, Atlanta is a threat to win every game (and does, in fact, win the vast majority). Without him, they're nowhere near the playoffs. Sounds to me pretty much like the definition of "most valuable player". Saying that, I think it's fair to say that Peyton deserved 48 times as many votes as Vick, given the season he had.