AP: Voters Warned To Leave Cowboys Jerseys Home

Monte51Coleman

Respected Opponent
Reaction score
HoustonChronicle.com -- http://www.HoustonChronicle.com | Section: Local & State

Oct. 19, 2004, 9:01AM

Voters warned to leave Cowboys jerseys at home
Associated Press

ARLINGTON - A warning to Dallas Cowboys fans who plan to vote in this North Texas city: Leave your team colors at home.

Polling places are no place for fan gear, election officials say.

Elections Administrator Robert Parten said Monday that anyone sporting a Cowboys logo at an Arlington voting site will be told to cover up their allegiance to the team if they want to cast a ballot.

He said he ordered the prohibition because of a provision on the Arlington ballot that asks whether taxpayers should help pay for a $650 million Cowboys stadium in their city.

"Anytime you go into a polling place and what you're wearing shows something that's on the ballot, that's electioneering," Gayle Hamilton, assistant elections administrator for Tarrant County, said.

State law prohibits voters at the polls with clothing, jewelry or badges that promote or denounce a candidate or proposition on a ballot.

Parten said in an election year, the big blue star that's a fixture at Texas Stadium may also be considered a political statement in favor of the proposition.

For those who don't obey the prohibition, election officials have ordered smocks like those worn in hospital exam rooms that Arlington residents can wear to cover their Cowboys paraphernalia in the voting booth.

"We'll let them wear them to vote so they can be on their way," said Hamilton. "Hopefully, we won't have to use many of them, but we want to be prepared."

Gowns will be distributed to early voting locations by Wednesday, she said.

Parten said the smocks will also be distributed throughout the rest of Tarrant County for voters whose attire bears other types of political messages or symbols, such as donkeys or elephants.

But some Arlington residents who voted early said they believed it was un-American to restrict clothing that represents America's Team.

"Nobody said a thing to me," said Judy Layton after voting at the Bob Duncan Community Center in central Arlington, while wearing a Cowboys T-shirt. "I'm sorry. I didn't know."

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The same post was on the main board earlier today.

It is because of electioneering laws.

Just as someone could not walk into the voting hall (for local, state or federal) voting wearing a Hat, Shirt, Pin, Banner, Sign with the person they want to vote on it.

Silly...yes...but it is the way it is.

Reaction score
It's called "electioneering," it's hardly just a "state law".

I truly suggest that you ppl that quickly roll your eyes at voting rules and regulations like this, yet at the same time quickly tout your right TO vote, familiarize yourself with the basics before you go cast your ballot.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Silly...yes...but it is the way it is.

I realize it is... but just because I wear a Cowboys jersey to the polls does not mean I am in favor of the stadium proposal...

I may love the Cowboys but hate the deal...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I just think this is the dumbest thing ever. Electioneering my foot. Freedom of Speech. ;)