Apple iPad 2

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Anyone following the update? I'm following the live blog.

Nothing ground breaking here, the usual thinner (thinner than the iPhone), faster (dual core A5 chip), and a few obvious hardware upgrades (front/rear cameras).

I held out on the first round of iPads because I knew the 2nd generation would have obvious updates that should have been in from the getgo, so considering this one.

They also announced that the next version of iOS will let you use your iPhone 4 as a personal hotspot, but I'm still unsure on if AT&T will charge for it.

I'd like to get a WIFI only iPad and use my phone as a hotspot for it, especially since I'm grandfathered into unlimited data and I always have my phone on me anyway.

However, my main gripe right now is that I absolutely hate the look of the new design. I much prefer the industrial rectangular look of the iPhone which they mimiced in the iPad 1, the new version looks more like a cheap iPad knockoff than an evolution of the old design.

Also, thus far no word on "retina" display for the iPad 2.

chicago JK

Reaction score
I think the biggest news was Steve Jobs was the presenter and from the pictures looked like his normal self.

I have the original Ipad and don't see me getting the Ipad 2. I have an IPod touch with facetime but I have never used it. I will probably wait for the third version before I consider updating.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
TheCount;3863618 said:
Anyone following the update? I'm following the live blog.

Nothing ground breaking here, the usual thinner (thinner than the iPhone), faster (dual core A5 chip), and a few obvious hardware upgrades (front/rear cameras).

I held out on the first round of iPads because I knew the 2nd generation would have obvious updates that should have been in from the getgo, so considering this one.

They also announced that the next version of iOS will let you use your iPhone 4 as a personal hotspot, but I'm still unsure on if AT&T will charge for it.

I'd like to get a WIFI only iPad and use my phone as a hotspot for it, especially since I'm grandfathered into unlimited data and I always have my phone on me anyway.

However, my main gripe right now is that I absolutely hate the look of the new design. I much prefer the industrial rectangular look of the iPhone which they mimiced in the iPad 1, the new version looks more like a cheap iPad knockoff than an evolution of the old design.

I wouldn't expect that to matter. If you want hotspot usage, you'll likely have to give up the unlimited data.

The great thing about the iPad 3G service is you can very easily turn it on and off (by just paying for a month at a time). You can also set it up to recur monthly if you prefer. I wonder if they'll make the iPhone hotspot so flexible.

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
chicago JK;3863686 said:
I have the original Ipad and don't see me getting the Ipad 2.

Same here. Cool new features, nothing earth shattering enough to dump the 1st gen for.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
TheCount;3863618 said:

That is because there is no change to the retina display. It's the same old 1024x768 that was in the original iPad1.

You also might have noticed that there was no mention of memory being upgraded in the new iPad.

The pricing structure didn't change a single penny either. That may be good or bad depending on your view.

But cool its dual core now huh and 1/3 slimmer. Surely that just screams run out and buy this new iPad.

It has front and rear cameras. :starspin

Still not interested in upgrading?

Hrmmm.....

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Does it have the same battery life being thinner and having two cores?

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Still looks like the Motorola Xoom is better than the Ipad 2.

ipad2-vs-xoom-gslate-galaxy-tab.png

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
ajk23az;3863831 said:

I think I read that the iPad's screen has more vibrant color.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
ajk23az;3863831 said:

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh2:

Geebus the Zoom is better in every category except price

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;3863857 said:

Apple sales very few (relatively speaking) of the highest level iPad, which is the only thing comparable to the Xoom. In other words, that market is exceedingly small, which makes sense because it's hard for most people to wrap their head around spending over $1000 (after taxes, fees, etc.) on a tablet. Motorola will similarly sell very few at that price point and thus it'll never take off.

Apple's greatest achievement with the iPad was getting a version of it down to $500 and having scale versions up to the high end.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Another issue I have.

How does it make sense on the iPad, to treat the cameras the same as on the iPhone.

Which is to say, VGA (crap) camera in front and high def camera on back. Does it not make sense, to have a higher res camera on front as well in this format?

With the phone it makes sense because you'll be using it as a camera a decent amount and using the screen as a viewfinder.

Also, they once again screwed over those that want the option to put a card in. I'd love to be able to put a memory card from my camera to an iPad while on the road to do some quick photo editing.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
TheCount;3863942 said:
Another issue I have.

How does it make sense on the iPad, to treat the cameras the same as on the iPhone.

Which is to say, VGA (crap) camera in front and high def camera on back. Does it not make sense, to have a higher res camera on front as well in this format?

With the phone it makes sense because you'll be using it as a camera a decent amount and using the screen as a viewfinder.

Also, they once again screwed over those that want the option to put a card in. I'd love to be able to put a memory card from my camera to an iPad while on the road to do some quick photo editing.

Instead of me giving the obligatory phrase "there's an app for that", I will raise you one and just say........

"there is an ADAPTER for that." :bow:

BTW: You have a new white option of iPad to choose from. Be thankful !!!

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Even if I was a fan of apple, I think I'd buy any of those other 3 hands down before I'd buy the Ipad2.

ajk23az

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;3863857 said:

theogt;3863892 said:
Apple sales very few (relatively speaking) of the highest level iPad, which is the only thing comparable to the Xoom. In other words, that market is exceedingly small, which makes sense because it's hard for most people to wrap their head around spending over $1000 (after taxes, fees, etc.) on a tablet. Motorola will similarly sell very few at that price point and thus it'll never take off.

Apple's greatest achievement with the iPad was getting a version of it down to $500 and having scale versions up to the high end.

Wi-fi only Xoom to cost $539 at Sam's Club. Now, the Xoom is better in every category.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/129760-wi-fi-only-motorola-xoom-cost-539-sam-s-club.html

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
theogt;3865088 said:
That's a much better price, if correct. Assuming the UI is worthwhile, it could be the first actual competitor to the iPad.

Edit: Never mind. I just noticed that's the Wi-Fi only version.

Your hanging your hat on a 40$ difference? You do realize the retina display difference between the 2 is far more than a $40 upgrade, right?

Add in the sdcard expansion slot that the Apple doesn't have.

The $499 iPad2 is also only Wi-Fi and only 16GB of storage.

$539 for the Xoom is a fantastic deal even if it's just wi-fi.

ajk23az

Reaction score
Dallas;3865157 said:
Your hanging your hat on a 40$ difference? You do realize the retina display difference between the 2 is far more than a $40 upgrade, right?

Add in the sdcard expansion slot that the Apple doesn't have.

The $499 iPad2 is also only Wi-Fi and only 16GB of storage.

$539 for the Xoom is a fantastic deal even if it's just wi-fi.

Exactly.

Anybody that would buy the Ipad over the Xoom because of $40 doesn't have their head on straight.

The Xoom has better specs in EVERY category (display, resolution, ram, expandable memory, hdmi & usb ports, and the list goes on...). All of those upgrades over the Ipad is well worth $40.

You would think Apple would try to make the Ipad2 better in ONE SINGLE category vs. the Xoom which is already released.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
ajk23az;3865188 said:
Exactly.

Anybody that would buy the Ipad over the Xoom because of $40 doesn't have their head on straight.

The Xoom has better specs in EVERY category (display, resolution, ram, expandable memory, hdmi & usb ports, and the list goes on...). All of those upgrades over the Ipad is well worth $40.

You would think Apple would try to make the Ipad2 better in ONE SINGLE category vs. the Xoom which is already released.

Why should they? They have sheeple.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Dallas;3865157 said:
Your hanging your hat on a 40$ difference?
Hanging my hat? What on earth are you talking about?

I thought it was 3G version priced at $539, which would have been a steal. It wasn't. Where I previously thought it was a great move on Motorola's part, now it's simply priced where it should be to be even remotely competitive.

There's no doubt it's slightly ahead of the iPad 2 in specs. The difference isn't nearly as drastic as the folks in this thread like to believe, however. With better (more efficient) coding/programming you can get a whole lot more out of less firepower. So people that prefer a better user interface and app market would obviously choose an iPad. I'm somewhat surprised Apple didn't just go and blow the competition out of the water with the iPad 2, preventing a race from ever starting. But based on hearing Apple talk about other tablet sales, they realize they don't have to at this point.

It probably won't be long in the future before they do, though. And they'll almost certainly be able to do so when necessary. The reason is their supply chain mastery and their retail network, which gives them a huge advantage over competitors. But it's definitely a good thing that competition is developing. We all get better products because of it.