Apple to no longer supply Flash or Java on OSX

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
As everyone already knows, Apple will not allow you to install Flash on iOS devices. Now, they will no longer supply Flash on OSX devices either. Not only that, but they have now deprecated Java too!

Now, you can still download Flash for OSX from Adobe, but Apple will no longer supply it. The problem with Java is Apple actually supplied the JVM for OSX. That will no longer be the case. Now, websites that use Java applets, Java Web-Start, or any other Java application will no longer function on OSX.

The only possibility of having Java in OSX in the future is if OpenJDK produces one.

I gotta say, Mr Jobs has the biggest nads on the planet. The man truly believes he is some kind of God. Of course, he is only cutting those very nads off in the process...

EDIT: **** I hacked up that title! :laugh2:

Should have been: Apple to no longer supply Flash or Java on OSX

kmp77

Reaction score
He sure is pulling some big stunts for someone with such small market share (5%). Flash is a huge part of the internet and way to not embrace it. I could understand it if he were in microsoft's shoes.

So what about designers who use flash on the mac? Will they have to jump through hoops in the future to use it?

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
And I'm glad he's doing so. It's about nothing more than what Jobs constantly reiterates: user experience. Right now any number of websites, long before the relevant content loads, ridiculous Flash banner ads are screwing everything up.

Make the mistake of hovering over some lame ad and on even a news site like CNN, you have some ridiculous Lexus banner shoved in your face over the content.

Right now the internet is completely unbridled excess and unrestrained opportunistic junk. Far too many websites have an inordinate amount of obnoxious ads of dancing crap and ugly faces riddled around what you came to see. It's garbage and so is the glitz of Flash. Cartoon, overdone nonsense that can't go away fast enough.

Jobs is a smart man and he'll do well to tap into the market of people that are sick of the nonsense and want to get what they came for and nothing more.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
vta;3684508 said:
And I'm glad he's doing so. It's about nothing more than what Jobs constantly reiterates: user experience. Right now any number of websites, long before the relevant content loads, ridiculous Flash banner ads are screwing everything up.

Make the mistake of hovering over some lame ad and on even a news site like CNN, you have some ridiculous Lexus banner shoved in your face over the content.

Right now the internet is completely unbridled excess and unrestrained opportunistic junk. Far too many websites have an inordinate amount of obnoxious ads of dancing crap and ugly faces riddled around what you came to see. It's garbage and so is the glitz of Flash. Cartoon, overdone nonsense that can't go away fast enough.

Jobs is a smart man and he'll do well to tap into the market of people that are sick of the nonsense and want to get what they came for and nothing more.

Flash is one thing, Java is a whole other beast. There is a lot of things that use Java that people don't even realize. Java is a core technology, Flash is not.

kapolani

Reaction score
If it's crap... It's crap...

I've developed with Java for the last 5 years. There is a definite move away from Java - especially in my line of work.

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
kapolani;3684978 said:
If it's crap... It's crap...

I've developed with Java for the last 5 years. There is a definite move away from Java - especially in my line of work.

Sorry, but all I've seen is a ton of schools moving to Java for their schools, i.e. using Java for course catalogs, enrollment, registrations, etc.

it is going to suck, especially for schools that have embraced Mac to find out their a lot of their programs will no longer be usable on those computers.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
lol @ kapolani

I can't even see your post except the fact that it was quoted. A move away from Java? Are your freaking kidding me? What do you develop, Java Applets? Maybe, just MAYBE, I can believe that. :lmao2: I'm not sure anyone writes applets anymore since most people use Flash instead.

What you said is an utterly and absolutely uninformed and ignorant post. From someone who claims to be a Java developer on top of that. That is absolutely unreal that you would post such garbage / blatant lie.

kapolani.Credit--;

Some people should SERIOUSLY not open their mouthes.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Lets add insult to injury.

Tiobe is a popular site for ranking programming languages. Tiobe bases its rankings on world-wide availability of skilled engineers, courses and third party vendors. Rankings are not about the best programming language or the language in which most lines of code have been written. Tiobe uses Google, MSN and Yahoo! search engines to measure the Web “chatter” and hence the popularity of each programming language.

Tiobe.com Programming Language Rankings

LangPop.com is another site that ranks a programming language popularity.

LangPop.com

Finally, lets look at Indeed.com job trends by programming languages. (What language is orange? Java maybe?) :lmao2:

indeedTraditionalJobGraph-20100801.png

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
nyc;3684972 said:
Flash is one thing, Java is a whole other beast. There is a lot of things that use Java that people don't even realize. Java is a core technology, Flash is not.

You'd have the upper hand in understanding this, so I can only ask, is Java worse or just another way to create these things?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
vta;3685306 said:
You'd have the upper hand in understanding this, so I can only ask, is Java worse or just another way to create these things?

You mean applets vs using Flash to embed stuff into webpages?

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
nyc;3685382 said:
You mean applets vs using Flash to embed stuff into webpages?

What I mean is, are you bringing up Java because it has a hand in some of the things I'd complained about? Am I wrong in blaming Flash for such things?

Generally, I right click to see if it's Flash that's annoying me and often it is.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
vta;3686111 said:
What I mean is, are you bringing up Java because it has a hand in some of the things I'd complained about? Am I wrong in blaming Flash for such things?

Generally, I right click to see if it's Flash that's annoying me and often it is.

No, I brought up Java because Jobs is not going to support Java on OSX anymore.

You are right though, people do annoying things with Flash (and even at times Java)

If you ask me, Android has the right idea about Flash though. Not removing it altogether, but making it were it doesn't run by default. When I load a page that has Flash on it, I get a box around where the Flash would run. It does not run unless I physically allow it to run. This is good for a few reasons. First off, if it is annoying Flash, I never see it. Second, if a website requires Flash and there is something I need to see, I have the option to run it. (even if it is something annoying)

Options. Thats what it's about and why I hate Steve Jobs so much. He makes the choices and then forces them on his users. I prefer to decide for myself what I want and don't want. This isn't 13th century Europe.

...but Flash is Flash. As I noted, Java is a different Beast. Applications like Open Office a free alternative to Microsoft Office is built on Java. There are many other apps too, but this curiously occurs the same time Apple pulls out of the Server market too. Of course, Java is pretty much King in the data center and lets face it. Apple's kernel blew goats when it came to powering servers. It just couldn't cut it in the server market. The only thing it was really used for was file sharing for other Macs.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
VietCowboy;3685070 said:
Sorry, but all I've seen is a ton of schools moving to Java for their schools, i.e. using Java for course catalogs, enrollment, registrations, etc.

it is going to suck, especially for schools that have embraced Mac to find out their a lot of their programs will no longer be usable on those computers.

Schools are using Java to program course catalogs? Why?

As far as OSX not coming with Flash, who cares. Microsoft has never shipped Windows with Flash installed either.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
TheCount;3686245 said:
Schools are using Java to program course catalogs? Why?

As far as OSX not coming with Flash, who cares. Microsoft has never shipped Windows with Flash installed either.

Yeah, but the JVM existed for Windows. It won't for Apple OSX. Big...no HUGE difference.

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
Oracle/Sun supply Java for every other OS including Linux, it will not be a huge deal for them to create a Mac OS specific port.

Flash is constantly being updated, os it makes sense to have users download the latest version if they want it.

Much ado about nothing in both cases. Apple is not killing either one on the Mac OS platform, just shifting some of the impetus off of themselves onto the creators.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Meat-O-Rama;3686271 said:
Oracle/Sun supply Java for every other OS including Linux, it will not be a huge deal for them to create a Mac OS specific port.

Flash is constantly being updated, os it makes sense to have users download the latest version if they want it.

Much ado about nothing in both cases. Apple is not killing either one on the Mac OS platform, just shifting some of the impetus off of themselves onto the creators.

Oracle will? :laugh2: I seriously doubt it. They never did before, what in hell makes you think they will now? Not going to happen. If Sun refused to do it, there is no way in hell Oracle will. Oracle is about money, and there is no money in providing a JVM for OSX. The only company that would help is Apple and they just refused! :lmao2:

superfan99

Reaction score
If we removed flash and java from existence, the people running sites that do annoying things with flash and java would simply find new ways to keep doing what they're doing. Flash and java are just tools. They aren't the problem.

Java doesn't kill people. People kill people. :)

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
nyc;3686318 said:
They never did before, what in hell makes you think they will now? Not going to happen.

Oracle did not own Sun/Java up til now, why would they have had any cause to?

kapolani

Reaction score
nyc;3685197 said:
lol @ kapolani

I can't even see your post except the fact that it was quoted. A move away from Java? Are your freaking kidding me? What do you develop, Java Applets? Maybe, just MAYBE, I can believe that. :lmao2: I'm not sure anyone writes applets anymore since most people use Flash instead.

What you said is an utterly and absolutely uninformed and ignorant post. From someone who claims to be a Java developer on top of that. That is absolutely unreal that you would post such garbage / blatant lie.

kapolani.Credit--;

Some people should SERIOUSLY not open their mouthes.

That's right.

I forgot you were a Java administrator or something useless like that.

Yes, we are moving our entire scenario creating application from Java to QT. My field of work is in modeling and simulation. Java isn't up to the task. But, I inherited this crap from the Air Force. Currently designing a new application from the ground up.

Java has horrible resource management - pretty much non-existent. Sure, garbage collecting takes care of unused memory. But, getting rid of other resources??

The way exceptions are handled is horrible.

But, since you're a Java guru and all you should know this stuff, right?

Face it. You're an idiot with a hard-on for Jobs.

I get it...

Anytime you want to talk programming - step up to the plate. I would like to see if you are as smart as you think you are? Or, you're just another idiot on forums who spout nonsense...

kapolani

Reaction score
nyc;3685253 said:
Lets add insult to injury.

Tiobe is a popular site for ranking programming languages. Tiobe bases its rankings on world-wide availability of skilled engineers, courses and third party vendors. Rankings are not about the best programming language or the language in which most lines of code have been written. Tiobe uses Google, MSN and Yahoo! search engines to measure the Web “chatter” and hence the popularity of each programming language.

Tiobe.com Programming Language Rankings

LangPop.com is another site that ranks a programming language popularity.

LangPop.com

Finally, lets look at Indeed.com job trends by programming languages. (What language is orange? Java maybe?) :lmao2:

indeedTraditionalJobGraph-20100801.png

Within the DoD almost all modeling and simulation projects are coded in C/C++ and run on linux boxes.

I wonder why that is?

:)