Apple to no longer supply Flash or Java on OSX

kapolani

Reaction score
Furthermore, we run into problems - especially with our classified systems - updating to the latest and greatest JVM. Find a bug? Have to wait for THEM to fix the show stoppers.

Conversely, with QT we just have to compile our latest build with the updates and distribute.

If this is over your head I understand. I didn't think your two brain cells would be able to comprehend this.

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
nyc;3686257 said:
Yeah, but the JVM existed for Windows. It won't for Apple OSX. Big...no HUGE difference.

Oh, SNAP!!!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/12/apple_oracle_openjdk_project/

Apple and Oracle signed a significant open-source deal today which welcomed the Mac OS X maker into the OpenJDK club, which IBM joined last month.
Under the agreement, Apple said it would divvy up most of the key components, tools and tech needed for a Java SE 7 implementation on the firm's Mac OS X platform.

In October, Apple appeared to have gone decidedly cold on Java on Mac OS X, in a move that suggested upkeep of the platform was on the wane.

Now it turns out Java developers are invited to the Mac Apps Store party, after all.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Meat-O-Rama;3692424 said:
Oh, SNAP!!!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/12/apple_oracle_openjdk_project/

Apple and Oracle signed a significant open-source deal today which welcomed the Mac OS X maker into the OpenJDK club, which IBM joined last month.
Under the agreement, Apple said it would divvy up most of the key components, tools and tech needed for a Java SE 7 implementation on the firm's Mac OS X platform.

In October, Apple appeared to have gone decidedly cold on Java on Mac OS X, in a move that suggested upkeep of the platform was on the wane.

Now it turns out Java developers are invited to the Mac Apps Store party, after all.

I read this. Jobs just got busted in a lie. He said two things that are contradictory here. First he said Java is dead and there was no need to have it, then he goes and puts OpenJDK on OSX. (read HE did it, on to the second)

Second, he said Apple would no longer develop a JVM for OSX, yet he is now officially contributing to OpenJDK for OSX which is almost the exact same thing.

I guess Jobs was just putting his noggin in the news. We should have known. We all know he is such a media *****.

btw, OpenJDK != Official Java JDK that exist on Windows / Linux. Apple is not getting the official Java JDK as I noted above.

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
nyc;3692463 said:
I guess Jobs was just putting his noggin in the news. We should have known. We all know he is such a media *****.

:rolleyes:

nyc;3692463 said:
btw, OpenJDK != Official Java JDK that exist on Windows / Linux. Apple is not getting the official Java JDK as I noted above.

Why would they contribute to someone else's proprietary code instead of the open source version? And how is this different than when Apple provided *their* own proprietary version?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Meat-O-Rama;3692634 said:
Why would they contribute to someone else's proprietary code instead of the open source version? And how is this different than when Apple provided *their* own proprietary version?

It was an official Java release, not a proprietary one. It was tested against Sun/Oracle's tests that certify it. Which something they (Sun/Oracle) don't release to the public. Which is why Apache's Harmony doesn't work with some many Java apps. (including some of Apache's own Java apps!)

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
There is a big difference between a site developed in Java and a site that uses Java applets. Your pc doesnt need to have a Java Virtual Machine (JVM) installed in order to view a web site that is coded in Java.

The problem with not supporting Java or Flash is it severely limits some of the options available to certain web sites. For example I have build an IDX solution that allows users to upload a large number of photos for a property at one time. We use a java applet to process the images on the client's pc before uploading the files. If this was not possible when they tried to upload 50 photos at once it would take HOURS. Instead of uploading 50 five meg files it uploads 50 100k files. You cant do that without Flash, Java or an ActiveX component (which only runs on Windows PCs) because javascript cant access the local hard drive.

Also the flash banners are a pain in the butt, however most of the ads these days can be created just as easily using javascript as flash so eliminating flash isnt going to stop pop-up banners etc.