Apple, when the walls fell.

SweCowboy

Reaction score
TheCount;4840007 said:
Apple's price scheme has never worked that way. They don't do sales and they don't hike prices. They charge enough of a premium already on their products to cover fluctuations like this.

As far as Samaung charging more, I doubt they are raising prices just for Apple. Pretty sure that's illegal.

I used to work within sourcing in the telecom industry and I know for a fact that different prices for different customers are common practice. The bigger you are the more bargaining power you have etc. I very much doubt that it is illegal. I would however imagine that Apple would have at least two suppliers of their LCD in order to not be trapped in an agreement etc.

I also very much doubt that Apple will start making their own components since that is a completely different industry. You have to remember that Apple and most of the companies in the telecom industry are almost entirely relying on outsourced production, I don't even think they have any production on their own and are relaying on Foxconn for that.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
SweCowboy;4840620 said:
I used to work within sourcing in the telecom industry and I know for a fact that different prices for different customers are common practice.
Every where I've worked this has been the case. The only place I don't see this is in the US retail market. In many other countries, you can walk into a store and negotiate prices for items you want. That doesn't happen in US retail though very often.

ROUSH8692

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4839224 said:
This statement doesn't make any sense. Explain what you mean? Make an iPhone?

Try to follow along, I know it may be hard for you...

You said Apple buys screens and processors from Samsung, right?

I assume they use these in their products?? :confused: :confused:

They make better products than Samsung.... Not opinion, fact.

iPhone is 100% the phone that changed the industry. Still is.

I know you hate Apple, but man this is getting old. Ignorance is bliss....

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
ROUSH8692;4911081 said:

What are you blathering about here? This statement doesn't even make sense. You are confused that Apple uses Samsung parts in their phones?

ROUSH8692;4911081 said:

:facepalm: Someone needs a dictionary as they don't know the definition of fact or opinion and their differences.

ROUSH8692;4911081 said:
Ignorance is bliss....

Judging by your last sentence, you would know.

btw, nice bumping a month old thread to blather inconsequential ignorance.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Future;4839435 said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Apple simply uses this to justify a price increase. It shouldn't be a major increase, andApple customers probably won't even notice the difference if it happen.s

Give people ANOTHER reason to try another phone.

Go ahead Apple, raise prices.

I know some people who have iphone 5 and they feel cheated. One friend returned it for S3.

ROUSH8692

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4911090 said:
What are you blathering about here? This statement doesn't even make sense. You are confused that Apple uses Samsung parts in their phones?

:facepalm: Someone needs a dictionary as they don't know the definition of fact or opinion and their differences.

Judging by your last sentence, you would know.

btw, nice bumping a month old thread to blather inconsequential ignorance.

Oh no I bumped an old thread??!! Sorry I have a life and Im not on here everyday talking smack about apple? Did Steve Jobs date your mother or something? Why do you hate Apple so much?

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
ROUSH8692;4911478 said:
Oh no I bumped an old thread??!! Sorry I have a life and Im not on here everyday talking smack about apple? Did Steve Jobs date your mother or something? Why do you hate Apple so much?

I beg to differ about both of those. You are on here just about every single day. Sometimes you aren't, but I expect that to be because you have been banned and are on hiatus, just not of your own choosing.

You always get nasty personal when someone calls you on something. You do know you can have an honest debate w/o doing that, right?

Why are you so mad at SIA? One would think he dated YOUR mother? ;)

ROUSH8692

Reaction score
Dallas;4911531 said:
I beg to differ about both of those. You are on here just about every single day. Sometimes you aren't, but I expect that to be because you have been banned and are on hiatus, just not of your own choosing.

You always get nasty personal when someone calls you on something. You do know you can have an honest debate w/o doing that, right?

Why are you so mad at SIA? One would think he dated YOUR mother? ;)

You contradict yourself, im on here everyday or im not.....

Are you sam i am's mother? Or just his bodyguard......

Either way glad to know i have a fan....

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
Future;4839435 said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Apple simply uses this to justify a price increase. It shouldn't be a major increase, andApple customers probably won't even notice the difference if it happen.s

Meanwhile, the Galaxy would cost significantly less driving down Apple's sales.

RastaRocket

Reaction score
ROUSH8692;4911081 said:

iPhone is 100% the phone that changed the industry. Still is.

I know you hate Apple, but man this is getting old. Ignorance is bliss....

Just because the iPhone revolutionized the smartphone doesn't mean it will stay on top forever. There is always a changing of the guard and Apple is at it's peak. Would you invest a large sum of money in Apple right now?

Lets reverse back in time 3 months. You have Apple, and you have Samsung. Where are you going to invest? If you are so high on Apple suit yourself, go ahead and throw a bunch of money into their company.

ROUSH8692

Reaction score
RastaRocket;4911773 said:
Just because the iPhone revolutionized the smartphone doesn't mean it will stay on top forever. There is always a changing of the guard and Apple is at it's peak. Would you invest a large sum of money in Apple right now?

Lets reverse back in time 3 months. You have Apple, and you have Samsung. Where are you going to invest? If you are so high on Apple suit yourself, go ahead and throw a bunch of money into their company.

$519.33 a share right now... Its pretty hard to see it getting higher than that fast enough to see decent profits.

I saw a phone (iPhone) save a company from reporting losses for the year in one quarter. AT&T was at a loss through three quarters before they launched the iPhone in quarter 4 then reported profit for the year....

http://blog.datajack.com/how-apple-single-handedly-saved-att-and-sprint/

When the first iPhone was sold back in 2007, Apple’s market cap was at $104 billion, and today, four and a half years down the line, it stands at a staggering $480 billion.
Nearly 200 million iPhones have been sold in the last four and a half years, 37 million of them in the last three months of 2011 alone. This shows how the Apple iPhone have been one of the most successful product in the mobile industry history as we’ve seen.

Sprint is still around because of that phone....

You cant argue with it. The iPhone is the best thing that ever happened to mobile phones. I worked in the industry and saw it first hand.

Samsung had been in the mobile phone game for 10 years prior and failed to put out a decent smartphone. Apple came in and set the pace. The galaxy and other awesome Samsung phones you see today are here only because of the bar that the iPhone set. Competition is good sir. We all benefit. Go buy a Samsung or an iPhone, but dont be blind.

RastaRocket

Reaction score
revenue_time_curve.gif

Product-Life-Cycle-Curve-small-for-web.jpg

Apple is at the end of that graph with all of their major products. If they are going to sustain they need another revolutionary new product. Right now they are just extending the life cycles of the phones and their iPads.

RastaRocket

Reaction score
ROUSH8692;4911828 said:
I think i saw somewhere WalMart has the iPhone 5 for $127 lol

http://www.businessinsider.com/walmarts-127-iphone-5-2012-12

Apple should keep a competitive price, they are just going to see less profits. I think jacking up the price to make up for the 20% increase on the processor would be stupid. On the other hand, people shouldn't shop at Walmart that is why their workers are compensated so poorly.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Apple's stock is down around 30% from it's high and it's losing market share at a break neck pace to Android. It's sales are increasing, but it's because smartphone sales overall are increasing. Sales of smartphones are up 47% year-over-year. More than 427 million phones were sold in total during the third quarter.

There was a period when Apple sold more phones than ALL Android makers combine. Now, Samsung alone sales more than 4 times as many smartphones as Apple. That doesn't include any sales from HTC, ZTE, LG, Nokia, or Motorola.

gartner-1.png

When Android entered the market, it started taking market share, but Apple was able to release the iPad to keep the income up. Now that Android is now stealing that market share too, Apple needs a new product. The problem is, they don't have one. That is why their stock has dropped 30%. They are getting beat at their own game by superior, yet cheaper products.

When you put two products together and they are on equal ground. People tend to by the cheaper product unless they want to be seen with the more expensive product. (show off, stroke ego) When you put two products together and one is not only superior, but it's cheaper too. Only fanboys are left buying the more expensive and inferior product. (think Apple PCs in the 80s and 90s)

As soon as Android entered the market, there was no way Apple could compete in the long run and Jobs knew this. That is why he promised to do everything in his power to destroy Android. He failed and now Android is destroying Apple. Apple is 5.5% of the smartphone market. They are a *niche* market in smartphone world now just like they are and always have been a niche market in the PC world.

RastaRocket

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4911919 said:
Apple's stock is down around 30% from it's high and it's losing market share at a break neck pace to Android. It's sales are increasing, but it's because smartphone sales overall are increasing. Sales of smartphones are up 47% year-over-year. More than 427 million phones were sold in total during the third quarter.

There was a period when Apple sold more phones than ALL Android makers combine. Now, Samsung alone sales more than 4 times as many smartphones as Apple. That doesn't include any sales from HTC, ZTE, LG, Nokia, or Motorola.

gartner-1.png

When Android entered the market, it started taking market share, but Apple was able to release the iPad to keep the income up. Now that Android is now stealing that market share too, Apple needs a new product. The problem is, they don't have one. That is why their stock has dropped 30%. They are getting beat at their own game by superior, yet cheaper products.

When you put two products together and they are on equal ground. People tend to by the cheaper product unless they want to be seen with the more expensive product. (show off, stroke ego) When you put two products together and one is not only superior, but it's cheaper too. Only fanboys are left buying the more expensive and inferior product. (think Apple PCs in the 80s and 90s)

As soon as Android entered the market, there was no way Apple could compete in the long run and Jobs knew this. That is why he promised to do everything in his power to destroy Android. He failed and now Android is destroying Apple. Apple is 5.5% of the smartphone market. They are a *niche* market in smartphone world now just like they are and always have been a niche market in the PC world.

You basically summed up what my marketing professor has been preaching to us all year. I had to do a case study presentation on Apple Inc. this year for his class (except from a 2010 perspective). However, we did talk about Apple in their current situation as well and you nailed it. When you have to resort to launching iPad minis and things of that nature, you know you are starving for a new product.

ROUSH8692

Reaction score
Yeah, but you failed to factor in that SamIAm has been saying that same thing since 2008...... Before they ran out of products....

Ignorance is Bliss.