April 1st Draft but no April Fools

Sandyf

Reaction score
Been trying to gleam as much information from various draft sites along with who Dallas has been visiting with via facetime or zoom or phone calls as well as the other teams. Just trying to get a feel some 22 days before it happens (or hope it happens) on the 23rd.

Will say I do believe at least 3 QBs will go in top 6 and good chance 4 in the top fifteen after trades. Not sure Washington will trade out but do believe Detroit and NY Giants will for the right price especially if a team wants to jump Miami and LA Chargers for Herbert or Tua. Some team will jump up to get Love or force Miami or Chargers to take him earlier than they want. Also see a quick run on OL guys early on, as well as the CB position.

I do think Dallas is going to stay away this year from injury guys and only because they can't their own doctors to evaluate those guys like Chaisson, Kinlaw, Fulton, and other top 50 guys. I think they could take one of two of those guys but only if they fall a number of picks.

So here goes.

17. Derrick Brown DT Auburn - sure the majority believe there is now way he falls to 17 but I look at a variety of thing like trades, needs and past drafts. Brown is a great run stuffer and great measurables but what he isn't, is a great QB sacker and most teams want their DT to have good if not great pass rush ability. The two most likely teams that could take Brown would be Las Vegas and Denver. And depending on the WR run that happens, could see both of them opting instead of a guy that scores points and not one just stopping the run. As to Dallas, he fits the McCarthy/Nolan plan to a tee.

31. Yetur Gross-Matos DE Penn St - going with a trade with SF 49ers here. Since the 49ers have the 13th pick also, believe they will be willing to give up a trade that helps them in the draft next year. The 2021 pick by the trade chart is worth 1000 points and although I think that is high, believe Dallas would give up next year's 1st for the 31st pick plus 49ers 3rd in 2021. Gross-Matos fits a position of being able to play the LDE position behind Gregory but also ability to play OLB in a 3-4 alignment which believe will be an important factor for Dallas.

51. Kyle Dugger S Lenoir-Rhyne - normally we don't see Dallas drafting small school guys but here is a guy I believe McCarthy and Nolan fight to get. Sure he might not be a guy that starts right away but huge talent and upside and the ability to play FS and SS puts him as one to take the gamble on plus it is the 2nd round and we know Dallas loves to gamble in the 2nd. Wouldn't surprise me to see him be the starter by the 4th game of the season.

82. Tyler Biadasz OC Wisconsin - really had trouble with this at first but taking him may also allow Dallas to make an trade later involving Connor Williams because believe McGovern is going to the guy at LG. Biadasz is a clone of Frederick (who I remind everyone that most thought he was a 3rd talent we took in the 1st). He is really good at line calls and excellent in run blocking and pass blocking. Looney could start at OC but Biadasz will take over soon if not in the beginning.

123. Chase Claypool WR Notre Dame - here is a big guy who actually could play WR or TE, he is pro ready and a great 3rd down and red zone target. He is also an exceptional special team player. Sure he isn't slot guy some expect although I could see Devin Smith take that spot over for Dallas. Claypool's size gives Dak a great target and reliable target.

167. Leki Fotu NT Utah - another big body that could form a great duo with Brown at not only stopping the run but also with good coaching develop some good pass rush moves, like Brown very disruptive and blows up plays, although medical flags raised at Senior Bowl, he appears to be just fine, probably a 4th or 5th round pick so getting him the 5th would be great.

179. Stanford Samuels CB Florida St - good size, big hands, has improved from year to year so some good upside, does need good coaching to develop more but much like an Everson Walls and going to surprise most, a good pick in the 5th with a good chance to be a starter sooner than later.

231. Reggie Robinson II CB Tulsa - great special team player, returner, and not a bad CB at all. Good size, great speed, not really a project but a guy that could end up being a very smart choice in the 7th for Dallas.

Two guys that could be targets if they are there late i.e. late 5th comp area or 6th round with good upside and Dallas has shown interest in both.
*Trey Adams OT Washington - one time considered 1st round talent but injuries didn't help last 2 years
*Troy Pride, Jr. CB Notre Dame - a good CB that could be a 4th or 5th guy on a team or become that special guy.

As we get closer to the draft, may be able to identify guys that Dallas wants to sign as undrafted free agents and would bet that if they follow McCarthy some of those guys will be from small colleges as that he where McCarthy finds some hidden gems.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Lots of good players and thought going into them.

Just an fyi, it would take a minimum of next years 1st and 2nd to get this years 31st pick.
Usually, devalue by about one round each year in the future.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Would love to get this draft and Brown has Pro Bowl potential. He would be a steal but I don't think he even sniff to our pick. I think that there are other teams that could easily pick him before us. I can see the two that you mentioned , Niners, Falcons, Panthers, Jags, Detroit are teams that come to mind

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
This is too many tackles who all do the same thing, and that thing is largely irrelevant in today's NFL.

Reaction score
Been trying to gleam as much information from various draft sites along with who Dallas has been visiting with via facetime or zoom or phone calls as well as the other teams. Just trying to get a feel some 22 days before it happens (or hope it happens) on the 23rd.

Will say I do believe at least 3 QBs will go in top 6 and good chance 4 in the top fifteen after trades. Not sure Washington will trade out but do believe Detroit and NY Giants will for the right price especially if a team wants to jump Miami and LA Chargers for Herbert or Tua. Some team will jump up to get Love or force Miami or Chargers to take him earlier than they want. Also see a quick run on OL guys early on, as well as the CB position.

I do think Dallas is going to stay away this year from injury guys and only because they can't their own doctors to evaluate those guys like Chaisson, Kinlaw, Fulton, and other top 50 guys. I think they could take one of two of those guys but only if they fall a number of picks.

So here goes.

17. Derrick Brown DT Auburn - sure the majority believe there is now way he falls to 17 but I look at a variety of thing like trades, needs and past drafts. Brown is a great run stuffer and great measurables but what he isn't, is a great QB sacker and most teams want their DT to have good if not great pass rush ability. The two most likely teams that could take Brown would be Las Vegas and Denver. And depending on the WR run that happens, could see both of them opting instead of a guy that scores points and not one just stopping the run. As to Dallas, he fits the McCarthy/Nolan plan to a tee.

31. Yetur Gross-Matos DE Penn St - going with a trade with SF 49ers here. Since the 49ers have the 13th pick also, believe they will be willing to give up a trade that helps them in the draft next year. The 2021 pick by the trade chart is worth 1000 points and although I think that is high, believe Dallas would give up next year's 1st for the 31st pick plus 49ers 3rd in 2021. Gross-Matos fits a position of being able to play the LDE position behind Gregory but also ability to play OLB in a 3-4 alignment which believe will be an important factor for Dallas.

51. Kyle Dugger S Lenoir-Rhyne - normally we don't see Dallas drafting small school guys but here is a guy I believe McCarthy and Nolan fight to get. Sure he might not be a guy that starts right away but huge talent and upside and the ability to play FS and SS puts him as one to take the gamble on plus it is the 2nd round and we know Dallas loves to gamble in the 2nd. Wouldn't surprise me to see him be the starter by the 4th game of the season.

82. Tyler Biadasz OC Wisconsin - really had trouble with this at first but taking him may also allow Dallas to make an trade later involving Connor Williams because believe McGovern is going to the guy at LG. Biadasz is a clone of Frederick (who I remind everyone that most thought he was a 3rd talent we took in the 1st). He is really good at line calls and excellent in run blocking and pass blocking. Looney could start at OC but Biadasz will take over soon if not in the beginning.

123. Chase Claypool WR Notre Dame - here is a big guy who actually could play WR or TE, he is pro ready and a great 3rd down and red zone target. He is also an exceptional special team player. Sure he isn't slot guy some expect although I could see Devin Smith take that spot over for Dallas. Claypool's size gives Dak a great target and reliable target.

167. Leki Fotu NT Utah - another big body that could form a great duo with Brown at not only stopping the run but also with good coaching develop some good pass rush moves, like Brown very disruptive and blows up plays, although medical flags raised at Senior Bowl, he appears to be just fine, probably a 4th or 5th round pick so getting him the 5th would be great.

179. Stanford Samuels CB Florida St - good size, big hands, has improved from year to year so some good upside, does need good coaching to develop more but much like an Everson Walls and going to surprise most, a good pick in the 5th with a good chance to be a starter sooner than later.

231. Reggie Robinson II CB Tulsa - great special team player, returner, and not a bad CB at all. Good size, great speed, not really a project but a guy that could end up being a very smart choice in the 7th for Dallas.

Two guys that could be targets if they are there late i.e. late 5th comp area or 6th round with good upside and Dallas has shown interest in both.
*Trey Adams OT Washington - one time considered 1st round talent but injuries didn't help last 2 years
*Troy Pride, Jr. CB Notre Dame - a good CB that could be a 4th or 5th guy on a team or become that special guy.

As we get closer to the draft, may be able to identify guys that Dallas wants to sign as undrafted free agents and would bet that if they follow McCarthy some of those guys will be from small colleges as that he where McCarthy finds some hidden gems.
Brown has been going to the Panthers or jaguars in most mock draft's