Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Aug 6
9:00
AM CT
By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

So on it is to our third training camp installment of Five Wonders:

** On the grand schemes of things Tony Romo not playing a series against Miami is not that big of a deal. With issues on the offensive line and Romo’s lack of offseason work because of the back surgery, the team thought it was wiser to sit the quarterback against the Dolphins. Well, I wonder what they were thinking about in 2010 and ’11 when they didn’t sit Romo with offensive line issues when he had to play more. In 2010 at San Diego, Robert Brewster had to play right tackle with Marc Colombo and Alex Barron hurt, but Romo played four series. In 2011, the Cowboys made the decision to part ways with center Andre Gurode before they played at Minnesota and had undrafted rookie Kevin Kowalski start with Phil Costa out. It was the first time Romo took a snap from Kowalski all summer. And Kowalski was the third rookie to start that night with Bill Nagy and Tyron Smith. There was no worry that night either. Again, it’s not a huge deal that Romo didn’t play against Miami, but it’s just notable given what happened in recent history.

** Forever, it seems, the Cowboys have found success stories in undrafted free agents: Romo, Miles Austin, Stephen Bowen and Dan Bailey are among the more recent vintage. But I wonder if there will be one undrafted free agent to make the team this year. Really. The leader would appear to be linebacker Brandon Magee, who could become a big part of the special teams’ units. Even those who haven’t seen Eric Rogers play a snap seem to think he can be Keyshawn Johnson, but the Cal Lutheran product has a lot of work to do in earning a spot. Safety Jeff Heath has been an under-the-radar guy and Jakar Hamilton, who received $10,000 to sign, has yet to make a mark in camp. There is a lot of time to make a push but right now there isn’t a lock yet.

** It’s hard to gauge just how interested the Cowboys are in Brian Waters. They know he is available, but they haven’t really put the full-court press on him just yet. Maybe they wanted to see Ronald Leary in a game before going ahead with it.

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4711835/5-wonders-more-on-tony-romo-sitting

conner01

Reaction score
it would sure be better if leary can earn the spot instead of going out and buying a vet

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
it would sure be better if leary can earn the spot instead of going out and buying a vet

Reading between the lines with Jerry, Leary's going to be the starting LG. If we sign Waters or a player like him, it's because Livings is not on the active roster and we want an option with experience to push the RG candidates and as an long term backup to Leary if we get in a pinch during the season.

Vertigo_17

Reaction score
I could live with that, Leary at LG and bring in Waters to compete with Bernie and Arkin for the RG. I think Livings is gone.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Reading between the lines with Jerry, Leary's going to be the starting LG. If we sign Waters or a player like him, it's because Livings is not on the active roster and we want an option with experience to push the RG candidates and as an long term backup to Leary if we get in a pinch during the season.

Or, Jerry was bragging on Leary for negotiating purposes.

But no matter what, this team with a solid offensive line that can form walls or move defenders will make Romo even better.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Did we play 5 preseason games in 2010 or 2011?
That's a good point, although we did actually play 5 in 2010. Another thing is, Romo played four series in last year's preseason opener when Garrett had clearly stated that the starters would go no longer than three series. I really think Witten's lacerated spleen in that game was a wake-up call for these players and coaches. Witten was only supposed to play three series, and he suffered the injury on the fourth series.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That's a good point. Another thing is, Romo played four series in last year's preseason opener when Garrett had clearly stated that the starters would go no longer than three series. I really think Witten's lacerated spleen in that game was a wake-up call for these players and coaches. Witten was only supposed to play three series, and he suffered the injury on the fourth series.

I was happy not to see guys like Romo, Ware, Dez, Miles, Carr Claiborn, Carter and Lee not play in this game. With 4 pre season games to go they will get their playing time in. Likely no more than a series or 2 this week vs Oak. Rght now it is very important to get these young guys in here and let them fight it out for a roster spot.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
I was happy not to see guys like Romo, Ware, Dez, Miles, Carr Claiborn, Carter and Lee not play in this game. With 4 pre season games to go they will get their playing time in. Likely no more than a series or 2 this week vs Oak. Rght now it is very important to get these young guys in here and let them fight it out for a roster spot.

I would be perfectly happy if most of the starters sit out right on through until the third preseason game, especially Romo. Romo is going to get, what? A series or two? How much is that really going to help? We know what we're getting with the guy, he's been in the game long enough. It's all about the risk-reward and the value of getting Romo a series or two just isn't worth the risk. Although I'm sure he's been instructed that he is to take no chances under any circumstances, freak things happen, especially when your standing there and 300-pound linemen are falling all around you. If I were coach, he gets 2 to 3 series in the third game, one half in the fourth game and he sits for the fifth game and that's it. All the rest is just an accident waiting to happen.

jzcowboy

Reaction score
I would be perfectly happy if most of the starters sit out right on through until the third preseason game, especially Romo. Romo is going to get, what? A series or two? How much is that really going to help? We know what we're getting with the guy, he's been in the game long enough. It's all about the risk-reward and the value of getting Romo a series or two just isn't worth the risk. Although I'm sure he's been instructed that he is to take no chances under any circumstances, freak things happen, especially when your standing there and 300-pound linemen are falling all around you. If I were coach, he gets 2 to 3 series in the third game, one half in the fourth game and he sits for the fifth game and that's it. All the rest is just an accident waiting to happen.

Appropriately stated for post #9