News: Archer: 5 Wonders: Rookie class looks good

Reaction score
Beasly doesnt play ST and he wont have more than 25-30 catches a year,we can defintely do better .
The coaches are trying him out returning punts, but it sounds like he is struggling with it. Doubtful he can beat out Harris for the job.
I like Beasley and reports say that he produces when he is on he field. Romo likes him and has been using him quite a bit. But special teams is a real problem. He's too small to contribute in punt or kickoff coverages and has been shaky in punt returns.

I'd like to see him make the team but it would be understandable if he didn't.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
STs coach wants more starters so he likely won't be using wrs in coverage anyway. Rogers is playing for a 6th spot and would most likely not be active on gamedays.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MichaelWinicki, post: 5125078, member: 190"]That's a fair point.

But he (Archer) could be talking about the first 10 yards or in & out of breaks as opposed to 40 speed.

He could also be talking about on a football field in pads and not in a t-shirt and shorts.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
With all this promising youth at the WR spot, don't be surprised if this is Miles Austin's final season in Dallas. Much too soon for anything definitive, but if these guys continue to develop, if may be a good opportinity to dump some salary as early as next year.

Promising? Please. They're going to have to show me A LOT more before I tag them with the "promising" label and even more before we start thinking we can replace Austin with one of these guys. We hear it all the time with how certain guys look so good and they just flat out disappear. What about Phillip Tanner, the unstoppable force? Or Ogletree? Nah, loading up a roster with a bunch of JAGs doesn't replace a real player.

perrykemp

Reaction score
In just about every town across the NFL, message forums are being filled to the brim of fans fawning over their draft classes.

That's the beautiful thing about training camp -- nobody has failed to perform on the field yet. Statistics tell us that roughly only 50% of these guys will become average or better NFL players.

Reaction score
Promising? Please. They're going to have to show me A LOT more before I tag them with the "promising" label and even more before we start thinking we can replace Austin with one of these guys. We hear it all the time with how certain guys look so good and they just flat out disappear. What about Phillip Tanner, the unstoppable force? Or Ogletree? Nah, loading up a roster with a bunch of JAGs doesn't replace a real player.
That's why I said it's much too soon for anything definitive.
Phillip Tanner an unstoppable force? Somebody may have said it, but I've never seen it. And people have been calling Ogletree a bum for years. Including me.
All the young players have to show what they can do before any moves are made. But make no mistake: the Cowboys drafted Terrance Williams to replace Miles Austin as a starter...and soon.
Doesn't mean he will, but thats Jerry's/Jason's plan. We'll see if it works out.

CooterBrown

Reaction score
four tight ends doesn't factor into the equation because there will be no FB. To keep both Rogers and Beasley they will have to go 6 at WR. with Costa and Kowalski both being able to play guard or center they could just go with 8 OL. But, I don't think they will. I like Beasley, but I don't think he makes the 53. Speculation and pet cats is the only thing that keeps preseason interesting.

CowboyGil

Reaction score
Phillip Tanner an unstoppable force? Somebody may have said it, but I've never seen it. And people have been calling Ogletree a bum for years. Including me.
All the young players have to show what they can do before any moves are made. But make no mistake: the Cowboys drafted Terrance Williams to replace Miles Austin as a starter...and soon.
Doesn't mean he will, but thats Jerry's/Jason's plan. We'll see if it works out.

Last night on channel 5 sports they showed Williams making a couple of nice catches filling in for Dez (held out with a sore hip).

cowboys2233

Reaction score

Oh, they draft all kinds of players to replace other players. More often times than not, it doesn't work out. A LOT more often than not. Same as most teams. A couple of good catches in TC and we're already talking about him replacing Austin. Not trying to be a pessimist -- I've been burned on this so often in the past myself. We focus so much on every little thing these guys do in TC and preseason and we wind up believing they're the next coming of so and so. And then you never hear about them again. I personally feel that Terrance Williams doesn't have the stuff to be a legit starter in this league, but I sincerely hope I'm wrong. But he, along with all the other young players, have got to show stuff when it really matters. I've learned my lesson, not only do I not believe in the outcome of preseason games, I put very little stock in individual performances anymore either. Just so misleading. That's why I brought up the Phillip Tanner example, guy looked like an absolute beast in TC and preseason and ultimately, he's just not good enough.

erod

Reaction score
Exactly! This is why all comers have to excel at Special Teams because none of them can outperform Beasley at the receiver position at this point.
But if he's only a fourth receiver, what value is he of he doesn't play ST?

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
But if he's only a fourth receiver, what value is he of he doesn't play ST?

Right now it appears his only value is as a slot receiver. Considering the Cowboys are looking for more vets to play Special Teams, playing a designated role well just might buy him one more season without having to play STs. I may be wrong but none of the receivers not named Austin, Bryant, Williams, or Harris will beat him out unless they are superior STs players as well as good WR prospects.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Would Rogers even make it to the practice squad? I can't imagine he would if he's looking as good as reported. There's plenty of teams who don't have very good WRs and would take a shot on the kid.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
If he keeps it up they will stash him like they did Miles. On the 53 but inactive.

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
Those are crazy and very similar numbers. a 6 foot 4 guy that has a 37 inch vertical is sick.

Here are the numbers that I see for Rogers. I listed Terrance Williams for comparison.

Eric Rogers
Height: 6030
Weight: 206
40 Yrd Dash: 4.50
20 Yrd Dash: 2.58
10 Yrd Dash: 1.58
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 09
Vertical Jump: 37
Broad Jump: 10'01"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.20
3-Cone Drill: 7.08

Terrance Williams
Height: 6020
Weight: 208
40 Yrd Dash: 4.48
20 Yrd Dash: 2.53
10 Yrd Dash: 1.57
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 11
Vertical Jump: 32 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'11"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.32
3-Cone Drill: 7.01

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here are the numbers that I see for Rogers. I listed Terrance Williams for comparison.

Eric Rogers
Height: 6030
Weight: 206
40 Yrd Dash: 4.50
20 Yrd Dash: 2.58
10 Yrd Dash: 1.58
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 09
Vertical Jump: 37
Broad Jump: 10'01"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.20
3-Cone Drill: 7.08

Terrance Williams
Height: 6020
Weight: 208
40 Yrd Dash: 4.48
20 Yrd Dash: 2.53
10 Yrd Dash: 1.57
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 11
Vertical Jump: 32 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'11"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.32
3-Cone Drill: 7.01

Thanks for posting that.

Similar numbers. I guess Williams isn't known as a burner either.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that.

Similar numbers. I guess Williams isn't known as a burner either.

Everyone that seen him says he isn't a burner, and doesn't run away from anyone. You can even see that on his college tape against low level competition. But he does run well enough and is one of those guys that can just get the football without too much separation. Jesse Holley was a guy that didn't have enough speed and just could not beat man coverage because of it. Just don't expect Rogers to outrun people but he can still make some big plays on jump balls.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everyone that seen him says he isn't a burner, and doesn't run away from anyone. You can even see that on his college tape against low level competition. But he does run well enough and is one of those guys that can just get the football without too much separation. Jesse Holley was a guy that didn't have enough speed and just could not beat man coverage because of it. Just don't expect Rogers to outrun people but he can still make some big plays on jump balls.

And that's probably what Archer was getting at.