U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jul 29
8:00
AM CT
By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

OXNARD, Calif. – Sunday’s Blue-White scrimmage was about the younger players and the defense was ahead of the offense.

Of the five drives, the offense had to punt four times. The best drive was the last drive that ended with a Joseph Randle touchdown run to the right. The score was set up by a pass interference penalty on Devin Smith after he got beat by wide receiver Tim Benford.

Defensive linemen Landon Cohen, Monte Taylor and Jerome Long came up with sacks of quarterbacks Alex Tanney and Nick Stephens.

** The prettiest play of the day would not have counted in a real game. WR Eric Rogers came down with a Hail Mary pass from Tanney in situational work, but before Tanney could get the throw off he would have been sacked by George Selvie.

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb...camp-observations-young-d-shines-in-scrimmage

hairic

Reaction score
** Rookie S J.J. Wilcox loves to hit. His aggressiveness got him in trouble when he hit Benford too late. Five years ago it might not have been a penalty but it is now. On the next play Wilcox brought it on TE Andre Smith to slow down a screen.

ogg5jwO.gif

Zordon

Reaction score
this defense has me excited.

no more sensy, no more bradie, no more jenkins.

these are going to fly to the ball and HIT.

just imagine if we had Brent and Crawford to add to the mix.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I wonder if TE Andre Smith has a chance to make the roster. He made a few catches in the scrimmage and Broaddus/Mickey said that he is definitely the best blocker of the TEs. He ran the exact same forty as Rosario while outweighing him by 26 lbs.

I'm a big fan of Wilcox, but he's going to have to learn to hit lower on a 270 lb TE that is running at full speed.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score

Don't think people really realize how bad Sensy was towards the end of his time here. Anyone who is really a fan of the Cowboys should be jumping up and down with joy that he isn't back there anymore.

Now is that saying what we are replacing him with is any better.....I have hope for the young guys, but I'm still not buying Will 'haven't had an INT since 2005' Allen is the answer.

FiveRings

Reaction score
I really think that was a case of it just being a scrimmage.

So what? For guys like Wilcox a scrimmage like this is as big as a game situation. I like Wilcox too, hopefully he can contribute on ST, but I see our starting safetys as Church and Johnson

texbumthelife

Reaction score
So what? For guys like Wilcox a scrimmage like this is as big as a game situation. I like Wilcox too, hopefully he can contribute on ST, but I see our starting safetys as Church and Johnson

It was a non-tackling scrimmage. That's what. Wilcox is on the team. He isn't fighting for a roster spot. He doesn't need to go out and lower the boom, possibly ending someones season in a non-tackling scrimmage.

FiveRings

Reaction score
It was a non-tackling scrimmage. That's what. Wilcox is on the team. He isn't fighting for a roster spot. He doesn't need to go out and lower the boom, possibly ending someones season in a non-tackling scrimmage.

Okay my bad I didn't know it was a non-tackling scrimmage, but I didn't mean it in a sense that he was a bubble guy. But there's a huge amount of middle ground between a bubble guy and a guy who's spot on this team is solidified, like Sean Lee. Wilcox still has to show up and play hard because nothing has been handed to him yet.

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
I wonder if TE Andre Smith has a chance to make the roster. He made a few catches in the scrimmage and Broaddus/Mickey said that he is definitely the best blocker of the TEs. He ran the exact same forty as Rosario while outweighing him by 26 lbs.

I'm a big fan of Wilcox, but he's going to have to learn to hit lower on a 270 lb TE that is running at full speed.

Can't hit lower in practice

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Okay my bad I didn't know it was a non-tackling scrimmage, but I didn't mean it in a sense that he was a bubble guy. But there's a huge amount of middle ground between a bubble guy and a guy who's spot on this team is solidified, like Sean Lee. Wilcox still has to show up and play hard because nothing has been handed to him yet.

I think at this point for Wilcox, it's about showing he understands his position and alignment and that he can cover. I don't think anyone will question his hitting or tackling at this point. With that said, if we get to the preseason games and he still isn't wrapping up, I will be in 100% agreement with you. I don't think that is going to happen though. I fully expect him to be one of the starting safeties at some point this season.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That is incorrect. They allowed tackling with the 2nd and 3rd team lineups in the final portion of the scrimmage.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/multim...crimmage/1df91729-032c-421c-b36b-8a15ea29a2f4

Go to somewhere around 2:17 in the video. You will see tackling.

Zordon

Reaction score
Don't think people really realize how bad Sensy was towards the end of his time here. Anyone who is really a fan of the Cowboys should be jumping up and down with joy that he isn't back there anymore.

Now is that saying what we are replacing him with is any better.....I have hope for the young guys, but I'm still not buying Will 'haven't had an INT since 2005' Allen is the answer.

I said it January. I considered it a successful offseason simply b/c we let Sensy go. People will see this year how much that guy was hurting us in the back end.

Frozen700

Reaction score
this defense has me excited.

these are going to fly to the ball and HIT.

just imagine if we had Brent and Crawford to add to the mix.

seriously

Frozen700

Reaction score

Agreed bro.....Just have Allen as back up. I can't deal or stand to watch him. We don't need another Elam or Hamlin. A guy who doesn't get beat often, but does not make plays to change a game.

I can deal with a safety that will make a mistake or 2 during the game, but is also a highlight reel machine. That steady BS hasn't done much for us, and those same steady players, get abused when we go against an elite team.

Frozen700

Reaction score
I said it January. I considered it a successful offseason simply b/c we let Sensy go. People will see this year how much that guy was hurting us in the back end.

He did not hurt us.

But he sure as hell did not help much either