Signed by Cowboys Archer: Cowboys deal keeps VP McClay in fold

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
While owner and general manager Jerry Jones has final say, McClay has been the Cowboys' chief personnel man since 2014, heading up the team's draft and free-agent processes, working closely with executive vice president Stephen Jones.

That's the key part of the whole article, right there..
I have to think that if JJ overrules or undermines WM with any consistency, he would have bolted by now. I think as disgruntled fans, we like to believe that JJ is throwing his weight around and telling everyone what to do but it may not be as bad as we imagined.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Lets play this the so many in here play this in regards to some others in the organization.

20 years this guy has had his job and we have done NOTHING. How does this guy still have a job? Wouldnt other teams have fired this guy a long time ago with this man years of ineptness?
Waaaaiit a minute.

Personnel hasn't been a problem in Dallas for a while.

Plenty of very good players have come through here, including some gold jacket types.

It's not McClays fault it took Jerry a decade to realize Garrett was crap.

Motorola

Reaction score
20 years? McClay came on in 2009 as a scouting coordinator but didn’t get to VP of Player Personnel (a position with real ability to make changes) until 2014.

Since 2014 I would argue we’ve been one of the better talent acquisition teams. You have down years here and there (when the QB is injured like ‘15 and ‘20) but for the most part McClay’s time in the front office has coincided with continuous high quality roster development.

Not sure where you got 20 years from but there’s a reason other teams are trying to get him and it’s not because of ineptness lol. Coaching and in-game performance from the talent acquired is one thing, but in terms of getting the necessary players to field a quality team he’s done a good job for sure.

Night and day difference from the early/mid 2000’s to now.
Preach '817Gill' - preach.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Waaaaiit a minute.

Personnel hasn't been a problem in Dallas for a while.

Plenty of very good players have come through here, including some gold jacket types.

It's not McClays fault it took Jerry a decade to realize Garrett was crap.

It was a pathetic attempt at trying to lecture people, that succeeded only in making the poster look like a completely uninformed ***.

:facepalm:

fivetwos

Reaction score
I can't imagine what it would have been like trying to break in an outsider to be able to deal with and work with Jerry and son.

And at the same time have zero ego because there's no more space in the room for yours.

I appreciate Will McClay big time.

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
Funny how a certain poster isn't in here offering up another smarmy comment about the talent on this team… oh that's right, it's because the Cowboys have been very good at talent acquisition in recent years.

McClay has been the man in charge and the team is better because of it. Heck, if he could stack another very strong draft on top of the 2020 & 2021 drafts, the sky's the limit, IMO.

conner01

Reaction score
Lets play this the so many in here play this in regards to some others in the organization.

20 years this guy has had his job and we have done NOTHING. How does this guy still have a job? Wouldnt other teams have fired this guy a long time ago with this man years of ineptness?
You are factually wrong
He hasn’t been the guy for near 20 years

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
THE GUY
Dallas Cowboys reach new deal with VP Will McClay, sources say

i

Will McClay, the vice president of player personnel who is in his 20th season with the Cowboys, has reached a new contract to stay with the franchise, sources told ESPN.

FRISCO, Texas -- With a number of general manager jobs open across the NFL, the Dallas Cowboys have made sure nobody will be able to lure away Will McClay, agreeing to a new contract with their Vice President of Player Personnel, sources told ESPN on Thursday.

While owner and general manager Jerry Jones has final say, McClay has been the Cowboys' chief personnel man since 2014, heading up the team's draft and free-agent processes, working closely with executive vice president Stephen Jones.

"Excellent personnel man and an even better person," coach Mike McCarthy said earlier this week. "I really enjoy working with Will. I can't say enough about him. He's very astute at his approach and how the inner workings of the personnel department and the collaboration between Will, Stephen and Jerry. We spend a tremendous amount of time together and I enjoy working with him.

"He's obviously someone that I know as an organization we would not want to lose. But he's definitely worthy of any opportunity that pursues him. Will does a tremendous job."

Read Full Story[/QUOTE

HE WAS INSPIRATIONAL IN US NOT GETTING MANZIEL!!!!!!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It also say he has been in the current role of VP of player personnel since 2017 that is over the last 5 years. He has been with the organization for 20 but not in the role he currently serves

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: