Signed by Cowboys Archer: Cowboys deal keeps VP McClay in fold

Reid1boys

Reaction score
damn you guys just miss right over my point. Will, since 2014 had done a FANTASTIC job of player acquisition.

Jerry on the other hand since 2014 ?? Its al luck. Remember, we only have Micah because who we really wanted was gone.

Will, .... we got Micah because Will was all over him and rated him as the best player in the draft.

So many of you miss the obvious sarcasm in my post.

years in the job was so IRRELEVANT to what I was saying...lol

But thanks for playing, you absolutely proved my point.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I think many of us here can do a better job....:muttley:
You don't believe that.....

Really don't like the guy?

Take a closer look at other teams drafts since 2014.

I'm surprised you're not a supporter.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
You are factually wrong
He hasn’t been the guy for near 20 years

his years in his position is irrelevant to what I was saying... IRRELEVANT!
I wasnt even trying to be factually correct, but the facts , once again, are irrelevant to what I was saying.

fivetwos

Reaction score
damn you guys just miss right over my point. Will, since 2014 had done a FANTASTIC job of player acquisition.

Jerry on the other hand since 2014 ?? Its al luck. Remember, we only have Micah because who we really wanted was gone.

Will, .... we got Micah because Will was all over him and rated him as the best player in the draft.

Well we need a sarcasm font around here!

fivetwos

Reaction score

Oh wait....Reids post made me pick up on the sarcasm.

I feel like Sheldon right now.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

If everyone misses your sarcasm...it might be you not them lol.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It was sarcasm....I figured the chuckling dog would have been enough to clue you off.....

Reid1boys

Reaction score
If everyone misses your sarcasm...it might be you not them lol.
obviously it is me. I need to make words in big bold and then put the disclaimer at the end.

The reason is also simple, any sarcasm that goes against what people want to believe is easily missed.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
For the millionth time, it wasn't his call.

For some unknown reason, Jerry let Marinelli have the call that year, as McClay and his scouts clearly thought Watt was the better player.

can you point me to the article or the audio tape that verifies your claim?

CCBoy

Reaction score
He hasn't been in the role 20 years. Look at his talent acquisition record since 2014. This team is more stable than it's been in years in that area. The roster is fine. All teams have holes. You guys probably would like Gettlemen since he is a "GM". LOL....How about Ryan Pace, he is a "GM". Just because a team has a GM doesn't mean success. The most successful team has a GM in name only. Belichick runs that team. The organization is set up the best it can be based on the family dynamics and Jerry dynamics, you can complain about it for the next 20 years, it's not changing so save yourself some unneeded angst. Either adjust to what it is and keep your sanity or move on for sanity sake but posting every day about how bad Jerry as GM is only gets old and whiny.
Bellichick can make a good QB look bad...

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Will has an extremely tough job having to balance what Jerry, Stephen, HC, OC, DC, and all his staff in the scouting and personnel depts. I've liked this guy since he was head coach of the desperado's and I'm glad he found a role here and worked his way up.

fredp22

Reaction score
McClay has built this team-to bad he wasnt also in charge of picking the coaches. Most important person on Cowboy staff but I think Jerry knows that.
Keep up the great work Will

MajesticRey

Reaction score
While owner and general manager Jerry Jones has final say, McClay has been the Cowboys' chief personnel man since 2014, heading up the team's draft and free-agent processes, working closely with executive vice president Stephen Jones.

That's the key part of the whole article, right there..

It’s the equivalent of a salesman offering a car buyer the option of going with a new Mercedes or new BMW. Yeah, the car buyer has the final say but the salesman presents him with quality options.

You’re delusional if you think Jerry has any hand in scouting and major draft strategies.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a great move because Booger stopped listening to his buddies like Larry Lacewell and listened to a man with a horse in the race, a job on the line.

It is a good sign of confidence and faith in Will McClay's judgement and knowledge and McC mentioned Booger, the son, himself and McClay spending time in the huddle together and I think I know which one of them we want calling the plays.

The perception that Booger has changed is not a correct one, imo. He just changed out the voices that he listens to and he gave us a glimpse of that during the draft when most of them wanted Booger to make the trade and held to McClay's board. So far, that player, McGovern, has not worked out but it looked like a good pick at the time.

And then there's that tale of two stories about how they came by Parsons. Booger was adamant that they had Parsons as the highest D player on their board and I believe him. I also believe his son that they would have taken either CB had they been there and passed by Parsons. McClay assembles the board but we all know Booger will get off the rails easily. But I do think he is improving.

The other thing about this is that they increased his salary and Booger is not the type to pay and man a lot of money and not listen to him. A great move for the fans.

Last edited: