Signed by Cowboys Archer: Cowboys deal keeps VP McClay in fold

bigE79

Reaction score
Lets play this the so many in here play this in regards to some others in the organization.

20 years this guy has had his job and we have done NOTHING. How does this guy still have a job? Wouldnt other teams have fired this guy a long time ago with this man years of ineptness?
This is a dumb post...mcclay has nothing to do with coaching or play calling,which is where the real problem lies...you can get the best players but still stink because of coaching..mcclay has done an outstanding job at adding talent,this hasn't been a problem for years... Coaching has, until recently,we hope.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
This is a dumb post...mcclay has nothing to do with coaching or play calling,which is where the real problem lies...you can get the best players but still stink because of coaching..mcclay has done an outstanding job at adding talent,this hasn't been a problem for years... Coaching has, until recently,we hope.

SARCASM was thick with this. My point had little to do with McClay and everything to do with the hypocrisy of the board when it comes to patting people on the back. people are ready to give Mike and Quinn a lifetime contract when they havent done anything we havent already seen.

Get uis to AT LEAST the NFCG and then Ill give some pats on the back to certain people.

Ken

Reaction score
He helps find players(and he has found many), he doesn’t coach them or call plays. Think of him as the head head head scout. He’s done fantastic in his role.
He also doesn't have the flawed philosophy of not signing big free agents.

conner01

Reaction score
his years in his position is irrelevant to what I was saying... IRRELEVANT!
I wasnt even trying to be factually correct, but the facts , once again, are irrelevant to what I was saying.
You said in 20 years
That is a specific time period that has nothing to do with him since he wasn’t in the job most of that time
Facts do matter, even in an I’ll informed rant

Reid1boys

Reaction score
You said in 20 years
That is a specific time period that has nothing to do with him since he wasn’t in the job most of that time
Facts do matter, even in an I’ll informed rant

I could have said 50 years... the post was not about McClay... Ill say it again, the facts in regards to the position he has held have zero to do with the point of the post. So no, FACTS in regards to time at his position dont mean jack squat.

BEARCATSKLZ

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys reach new deal with VP Will McClay, sources say

i

Will McClay, the vice president of player personnel who is in his 20th season with the Cowboys, has reached a new contract to stay with the franchise, sources told ESPN.

FRISCO, Texas -- With a number of general manager jobs open across the NFL, the Dallas Cowboys have made sure nobody will be able to lure away Will McClay, agreeing to a new contract with their Vice President of Player Personnel, sources told ESPN on Thursday.

While owner and general manager Jerry Jones has final say, McClay has been the Cowboys' chief personnel man since 2014, heading up the team's draft and free-agent processes, working closely with executive vice president Stephen Jones.

"Excellent personnel man and an even better person," coach Mike McCarthy said earlier this week. "I really enjoy working with Will. I can't say enough about him. He's very astute at his approach and how the inner workings of the personnel department and the collaboration between Will, Stephen and Jerry. We spend a tremendous amount of time together and I enjoy working with him.

"He's obviously someone that I know as an organization we would not want to lose. But he's definitely worthy of any opportunity that pursues him. Will does a tremendous job."

Read Full Story
He looks fat! :thumbup:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

i

Will McClay, the vice president of player personnel who is in his 20th season with the Cowboys, has reached a new contract to stay with the franchise, sources told ESPN.

FRISCO, Texas -- With a number of general manager jobs open across the NFL, the Dallas Cowboys have made sure nobody will be able to lure away Will McClay, agreeing to a new contract with their Vice President of Player Personnel, sources told ESPN on Thursday.

While owner and general manager Jerry Jones has final say, McClay has been the Cowboys' chief personnel man since 2014, heading up the team's draft and free-agent processes, working closely with executive vice president Stephen Jones.

"Excellent personnel man and an even better person," coach Mike McCarthy said earlier this week. "I really enjoy working with Will. I can't say enough about him. He's very astute at his approach and how the inner workings of the personnel department and the collaboration between Will, Stephen and Jerry. We spend a tremendous amount of time together and I enjoy working with him.

"He's obviously someone that I know as an organization we would not want to lose. But he's definitely worthy of any opportunity that pursues him. Will does a tremendous job."

Read Full Story
What a relief!
Key cog is our organizations success!!!
Glad Jerry recognized this and paid the man!!!

eromeopolk

Reaction score
20 years? McClay came on in 2009 as a scouting coordinator but didn’t get to VP of Player Personnel (a position with real ability to make changes) until 2014.

Since 2014 I would argue we’ve been one of the better talent acquisition teams. You have down years here and there (when the QB is injured like ‘15 and ‘20) but for the most part McClay’s time in the front office has coincided with continuous high quality roster development.

Not sure where you got 20 years from but there’s a reason other teams are trying to get him and it’s not because of ineptness lol. Coaching and in-game performance from the talent acquired is one thing, but in terms of getting the necessary players to field a quality team he’s done a good job for sure.

Night and day difference from the early/mid 2000’s to now.
McClay was in Jerry's World before 2009. He was on Jerry's Dallas Desperados staff as DC then HC beginning 2002.

McClay led the Desperadoes to more Championship games than any Dallas Cowboys HC not named Tom Landry and Jimmy Johnson.

Last edited:

Aven8

Reaction score
We’ve been killing the draft thanks to him. Not perfect but damn good. Broaddus said that FA is his gig too. It needs some work but I can’t blame him wihen Stephen gives him 900k per player for FA……

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
McClay must be swimming in a pile of cash :)
He is probably getting paid good GM money.

I don't blame him a bit for taking it. Who wants the headache of actual accountability?

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Maybe a silly question but does the vice president of player personnel outrank GM at least in terms of interviewing for other GM jobs? Teams cannot interview a person unless it is for a higher position or they get permission. Does McClay’s position mean other teams really can’t interview him as a GM?

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score

i

Read Full Story
It feels like McClay gets a raise every season.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
McClay > Quinn & Moore?

In some ways, but it isn't like all the defensive players McClay has acquired over the years accounted for much of anything before Quinn arrived. Having a great personnel men and having great coaches go hand in hand.

conner01

Reaction score
I could have said 50 years... the post was not about McClay... Ill say it again, the facts in regards to the position he has held have zero to do with the point of the post. So no, FACTS in regards to time at his position dont mean jack squat.
The OP was about McClay
Maybe if you want to post ablout something unrelated, you create a new post
Just a thought