Signed by Cowboys Archer: Cowboys deal keeps VP McClay in fold

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
He is probably getting paid good GM money.

I don't blame him a bit for taking it. Who wants the headache of actual accountability?

I'd be shocked if he wasn't. Jerry has had to give him more money a couple of time to keep him from leaving.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Even though we haven’t done much in the Playoffs, Definitely feels like a better run team with McClay and Stephen Jones calling the shots now. Starting with their first year together in 2014. If Jerry was still running the show, that first round draft pick would have been Johnny Manziel, not Zack Martin.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
giphy.webp

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Will McClay is the MVP of the front office. If you wonder what our drafts would look like without his expertise, just go back to the Chan Gailey-Dave Campo years. Jerry is a terrible judge of NFL talent. Will McClay is one of the best.

The article says McClay has been in this job 20 years. That’s inaccurate. He’s been with the team 20 years but he has been in his current role 7 years.

At least Jerry and Stephen know they are lost without McClay.

Last edited:

RonWashington

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys reach new deal with VP Will McClay, sources say

i

Will McClay, the vice president of player personnel who is in his 20th season with the Cowboys, has reached a new contract to stay with the franchise, sources told ESPN.

FRISCO, Texas -- With a number of general manager jobs open across the NFL, the Dallas Cowboys have made sure nobody will be able to lure away Will McClay, agreeing to a new contract with their Vice President of Player Personnel, sources told ESPN on Thursday.

While owner and general manager Jerry Jones has final say, McClay has been the Cowboys' chief personnel man since 2014, heading up the team's draft and free-agent processes, working closely with executive vice president Stephen Jones.

"Excellent personnel man and an even better person," coach Mike McCarthy said earlier this week. "I really enjoy working with Will. I can't say enough about him. He's very astute at his approach and how the inner workings of the personnel department and the collaboration between Will, Stephen and Jerry. We spend a tremendous amount of time together and I enjoy working with him.

"He's obviously someone that I know as an organization we would not want to lose. But he's definitely worthy of any opportunity that pursues him. Will does a tremendous job."

Read Full Story

Wil McClay has strong drafts and scouting now once players are signed sealed and delivered it’s on the coaches to get them up to NFL standards. So glad McClay is staying I thought he would have been a natural to turn the Giants around .

J-man

Reaction score
Awesome news, he's the best! He'd be a GM in any other city. Effectively he is in big D also, just not in title or on paper. But make no mistake, he's the man making the decision about personal and IMHO he's doing a fantastic job.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
First off let me state that I have been a fan of Will’s for like forever, even started a few threads several years ago. With that said, it is not a given that Will would make a great or even good GM. That position has more responsibilities and would remove his major asset of being a great scout. Yes he would supposedly make the final calls and the draft, but he wouldn’t have the opportunities to put the work in on scouting as he does now.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Awesome news, he's the best! He'd be a GM in any other city. Effectively he is in big D also, just not in title or on paper. But make no mistake, he's the man making the decision about personal and IMHO he's doing a fantastic job.

I mean, the title he's got is kinda close to GM anyway, so yeah, he's pretty much the GM.

817Gill

Reaction score
First off let me state that I have been a fan of Will’s for like forever, even started a few threads several years ago. With that said, it is not a given that Will would make a great or even good GM. That position has more responsibilities and would remove his major asset of being a great scout. Yes he would supposedly make the final calls and the draft, but he wouldn’t have the opportunities to put the work in on scouting as he does now.
Good point

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Will McClay is the MVP of the front office. If you wonder what our drafts would look like without his expertise, just go back to the Chan Gailey-Dave Campo years. Jerry is a terrible judge of NFL talent. Will McClay is one of the best.

The article says McClay has been in this job 20 years. That’s inaccurate. He’s been with the team 20 years but he has been in his current role 7 years.

At least Jerry and Stephen know they are lost without McClay.
True. They could be drafting wastes like Taco Charlton. Wait.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
McClay was an accomplice on that one. Marinelli was the perpetrator.
This is what you will ALWAYS get when Jerry is the final decision maker. Not to say Will McClay would bat 100%...but because Jerry has final say....McClay will always run the risk of Jerry overruling him...mainly due to someone being in his ear...because Jerry clearly does not break down film and go on scouting trips.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is what you will ALWAYS get when Jerry is the final decision maker. Not to say Will McClay would bat 100%...but because Jerry has final say....McClay will always run the risk of Jerry overruling him...mainly due to someone being in his ear...because Jerry clearly does not break down film and go on scouting trips.

McClay played the ‘company man’ and went along on that disastrous decision and I do assess some blame on him for that. He should have stood by his scouts more and just not said anything publicly about it after the fact. His attempted damage control only made it look worse.