News: Archer: What to make of DeMarco Murray?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys don't have to worry about DeMarco Murray's future until 2015. A third-round pick in 2011, Murray is coming off his best season. He finished 10th in the NFL with 1,124 yards. Of the backs with 200 carries in 2013, Murray had the highest yard-per-carry average (5.2).

After getting over a knee injury that cost him two games, Murray became a difference maker for the Cowboys down the stretch. He upset the coaches some by not gaining the extra yards, but they did not use him enough at times.

The Cowboys are 5-6 when he does not play in his first three years. They are 11-0 when he gets at least 20 carries in a game.

Murray's play late in the season started to alter what I thought he could be. I viewed him as just another back, one whom you could find every year in the draft. But he developed a feel for the zone scheme as the year went on, is solid as a pass catcher and can block.

Is he the heir apparent to Tony Dorsett and Emmitt Smith? No. But he looks as if he could be what Julius Jones never developed into after a strong start to his career.

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4722668/what-to-make-of-demarco-murray

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
"They are 11-0 when he gets at least 20 carries in a game."

OMG. This stat makes me furious. Just keep throwing the ball, shall we?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"They are 11-0 when he gets at least 20 carries in a game."

OMG. This stat makes me furious. Just keep throwing the ball, shall we?

Not really. It's misleading. It's not as simple as giving him 20 carries a game. The Cowboys are 11-0 in games that they had enough of a lead or at least weren't playing from behind, to stick with the running game late in the game. That's all that stat means.

Eddie

Reaction score
Does anyone have the video where he clocked #77 of the Eagles?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Murray and he's certainly showing what he can do with some blocking but no way would I extend him. Too fragile, not special. Draft your next back.

They kinda did that last year... Joseph Randle, the forgotten back. For 2014, they should probably stick with the status quo...and look to make a change in 2015.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
Murray needs the ball... He can be a 1,400 to 1,500 yard back, he only carried the ball 217 times. The top 5 leading rushers in the NFL carried it almost 300 times on average. (283.4 to be exact)

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I really liked Murray a lot after he came back from injury. His best trait is his ability to 'get skinny' thru the creases and explode right thru them. His cutting ability is much better than I ever thought it would be. I don't really label him as a straight line runner anymore. He's not exactly Barry Sanders making cuts, but he's pretty solid in that department.

I think the solution for Murray is to simply find a good short-yardage backup. That way if he gets hurt, we can have Dunbar become the starter and have the short yardage backup play in those situations. Murry is generally good in short yardage and we use the short yardage backup to take some of those downs from Murray to lighten the load (of course, we have to run the ball and not pass it 70% of the time).

But, I really like what I see from Murray.

YR

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
They kinda did that last year... Joseph Randle, the forgotten back. For 2014, they should probably stick with the status quo...and look to make a change in 2015.
Randle showed very little to be excited about when he filled in for Murray.
What we need to look at is a better version of Dunbar.

Staying the status quo is never a good thing as far as this team is concerned. We cannot evaluate our own talent well enough to make that a smart move.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I don't think much of Randle. I expect the next starter after Murray, should the Cowboys not resign him, is not on the roster right now.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Randle showed very little to be excited about when he filled in for Murray.
What we need to look at is a better version of Dunbar.

Staying the status quo is never a good thing as far as this team is concerned. We cannot evaluate our own talent well enough to make that a smart move.
Randle was drafted to be a healthier Murray clone.

Drafting another RB after drafting one last year should be the lowest priority of the team. Loading up on UDFAs is fine, but suggesting they invest another pick this year would make my head explode. Defense, defense, defense should be the order of the day.

Murray's solid enough that RB should not be a position of need going into the draft.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think much of Randle. I expect the next starter after Murray, should the Cowboys not resign him, is not on the roster right now.

Randle gets an Incomplete. Just never saw much from him one way or the other to really evaluate what he could do. That said, RB is not a position they have to address in 2014.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Drafting another RB after drafting one last year should be the lowest priority of the team. Loading up on UDFAs is fine, but suggesting they invest another pick this year would make my head explode. Defense, defense, defense should be the order of the day.

Not suggesting making it a priority. I just would not bank on Murray's health or the idea that Randle is a workable clone, because he obviously was not when he filled in last year.

Murray's solid enough that RB should not be a position of need going into the draft.

Neither was tight end last April. Not saying I disagree with you, but history should show we do not always stick to what would be common sense.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Neither was tight end last April. Not saying I disagree with you, but history should show we do not always stick to what would be common sense.

Nor should we draft for need either.

If this team goes into the draft thinking defense, defense, defense, be prepared for another steaming pile of a draft class.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nor should we draft for need either.

If this team goes into the draft thinking defense, defense, defense, be prepared for another steaming pile of a draft class.
Well, defense is the need and really can't be ignored. Not suggesting they should reach for every possible defensive guy in their range when draft time comes, but it's clear they've got to spend some resources on it...FA, as well as, the draft. They get a couple guys in FA and that creates flexibility going into the draft.

Not opposed to them addressing the offense, but other than OL, the other spots should be considered lower priorities and late round targets.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, defense is the need and really can't be ignored. Not suggesting they should reach for every possible defensive guy in their range when draft time comes, but it's clear they've got to spend some resources on it...FA, as well as, the draft. They get a couple guys in FA and that creates flexibility going into the draft.

Not opposed to them addressing the offense, but other than OL, the other spots should be considered lower priorities and late round targets.

Ideally, I agree with you. I just don't want the Cowboys to pass on a good prospect because he doesn't fit their immediate needs list.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ideally, I agree with you. I just don't want the Cowboys to pass on a good prospect because he doesn't fit their immediate needs list.

I agree with that, but if feel it should be a value-meets-need philosophy right now.

Don't force a pick based solely on need, but if there's value where you need it, jump on it.

I think you need help all over the trenches, if there's value there, offensive or defensive lines, jump on it.

But, if the drafts best TE falls to you? No. Trade out or take someone else and deal with the criticisms.

egn22

Reaction score

I disagree. i think we lack talent across the board, and if a talented player falls in your lap, you take him. For example, Alfred Morris was a 6th round pick. If that kind of talent was available late and we're only focusing on need, we could end up with a Caleb McSurdy instead of a potential starting caliber player.