Are any of you Ebayers?

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Do you buy or sell for ebay? If so, what is your experience like there?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Buying is way easy.

Selling is pretty pointless. Sellers fees kind of suck.

When I sold my iphone 3G, I think I paid almost $20 in listing fees.

You could do it a lot cheaper if you don't have a minimum price or other stuff but I didn't care to see a phone go for pennies.

You could probably get the job done on craigslist and save some time and effort.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
buying way easy - never got screwed over one time - never sold anything

I probably bought 100 to 200 things

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
I've bought and sold many things. I usually wait until they have free listing fees to sell though. You still have to pay for the buy it now option though.

Haven't had anything but good transactions on Ebay, buying and selling. Can get some pretty good deals.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
ajk23az;3534928 said:
I've bought and sold many things. I usually wait until they have free listing fees to sell though. You still have to pay for the buy it now option though.

Haven't had anything but good transactions on Ebay, buying and selling. Can get some pretty good deals.

I've paid for a few fees under a dollar, but I charge a bit more on shipping items I'm selling--mainly books and DVDs. I buy things on there, too. Overstock is good for buying things as well. I just started with about 65 small items and have made a little bit of money and the auctions haven't even ended. I just thought the site was interesting. I'd heard of people doing this, but it's actually fun for someone like me who spends a lot of time on a computer.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've bought and sold thousands of things on eBay. A few problems when I sold stuff but overall I can't complain.

The ability to sell things for a much better price than I could get at a garage sale gives me all the reason I need to not complain about any selling fees.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;3534947 said:
I've paid for a few fees under a dollar, but I charge a bit more on shipping items I'm selling--mainly books and DVDs. I buy things on there, too. Overstock is good for buying things as well. I just started with about 65 small items and have made a little bit of money and the auctions haven't even ended. I just thought the site was interesting. I'd heard of people doing this, but it's actually fun for someone like me who spends a lot of time on a computer.

Oh yeah, I dont ALWAYS wait for the free listings, just for the expensive items I want to sell. If I'm selling video games, or DVDs or something of the sorts, I put them on there whenever. The fees are usually less than a dollar.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I have been using ebay since 98.

I love it.

In all those years I have had only one bad experience and that was buying a mcintosh amp that I was told was new....but when I got it I knew it was a refurb and called the guy on it and had to return it.

other than that the biggest thing you have to watch out for as a buyer is shill bidding. that is when the seller has multiple accounts and bids on his own auctions to drive the price up. I recently caught a guy doing this to me when buying a computer monitor and I emailed them about it and they admitted it and that was that.

Lots of dishonest people, but if your careful and do your reasearch you will be fine.

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
It's been a while. I keep track as a buyer the daily deals, they have some good ones from time to time. I remember getting in a new sharp LCD HDTV 32 inch for like $300 2 years ago.

I use to love the used GoHastings DVD/bluray sales, but that was before it was like $2 shipping per item (which makes sense because even if you buy more than one, they'll send each separately, very dumb model, but whatever).

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I used to sell stuff at times, but not anymore. The rates just got too high. I'm not going to pay them to list it, then pay them 15% of what it sells for, and then pay paypal about 5%. So that's over 20% off the top. It's gotten ridiculous.

Add to that the restrictions on sellers such as setting a maxium shipping price for certain items and not allowing you to have optional insurance, it's just stupid. They tell you to add in insurance into the cost of shipping if you want to have it (surprise, they recommend it), but you can't do that if they set a maximum.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3535356 said:
A word to the wise.

[youtube]zuP1pXSvNJI[/youtube]

I don't really watch Judge Judy all too often, because it's such a simpleton view of law...and misguided view, too, I might add.

But it seemed to me that woman knew she was buying a picture, got the picture...but then got upset with the shipping fees.

I disagree with the ruling. The funny thing is, I do think Judge Judy rules correctly 80% of the time.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;3535679 said:
I don't really watch Judge Judy all too often, because it's such a simpleton view of law...and misguided view, too, I might add.

But it seemed to me that woman knew she was buying a picture, got the picture...but then got upset with the shipping fees.

I disagree with the ruling. The funny thing is, I do think Judge Judy rules correctly 80% of the time.

She paid 400 dollars for it. I doubt she thought a picture of a phone was worth that much.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I have no sympathy for those that don't read the description. They deserve what they get.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3535957 said:
I have no sympathy for those that don't read the description. They deserve what they get.

True, but the fat pig in Bob's vid was engaging in deliberate fraud.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
bbgun;3535987 said:
True, but the fat pig in Bob's vid was engaging in deliberate fraud.

What it sounded like to me turned out not to be the case, so my speculation was off-base.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;3534997 said:
I've bought and sold thousands of things on eBay. A few problems when I sold stuff but overall I can't complain.

The ability to sell things for a much better price than I could get at a garage sale gives me all the reason I need to not complain about any selling fees.

What problems did you have selling?

kristie

Reaction score
my husband & i have bought a few things from ebay. our experience with it has been positive.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
We've bought and sold on Ebay. The only time we ever got screwed in any form is when we bought some Texas Rangers tickets and when we got their they weren't valid. The person sold them again using the email option. The person did refund the money, but that was absolute **** and after I got the refund I gave the proper feedback.

When buying (or selling) stuff, especially expensive stuff. Be careful. Read online, there is information out there that will help you spot the losers.