Are any of you Ebayers?

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I buy and sell but only sell when the listing fee is free or 99 cents. I love eBay. I'm pretty big on classic video games and I've found some steals on there. My fiancee loves to shop for vintage clothing and pre-owned designer shoes at discounted prices.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
casmith07;3536856 said:
I buy and sell but only sell when the listing fee is free or 99 cents. I love eBay. I'm pretty big on classic video games and I've found some steals on there. My fiancee loves to shop for vintage clothing and pre-owned designer shoes at discounted prices.

My wife freaking buys those damn shoes new, wears them 2-3 times and they kill her feet so she sells them on Ebay. :laugh2:

I told her, stop wearing only flipflops and may be she will get used to wearing them and they won't hurt as much, but she doesn't listen.

The good thing is, she only buys may be one pair a year.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
nyc;3536866 said:
My wife freaking buys those damn shoes new, wears them 2-3 times and they kill her feet so she sells them on Ebay. :laugh2:

I told her, stop wearing only flipflops and may be she will get used to wearing them and they won't hurt as much, but she doesn't listen.

The good thing is, she only buys may be one pair a year.

I've told her the same thing. She never breaks them in and complains about her feet hurting when we go out. So I've suggested that she buy more walkable shoes - flat shoes with good cushioning, etc or shoes without a 4 inch heel. Apparently that is unacceptable.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;3536044 said:
What problems did you have selling?

When I was selling my iPhone, two buyers tried scamming.

Sent fake paypal messages saying payment had processed and all sort of stuff.

I almost sent one off. Thank god the postal worker was looking out for me and told me to check the account before sending it. Think it was going to some European country and he told me to watch out for all overseas shippings.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Almost bought an HP HD monitor last week ... until I read the fine print. Seller listed it as "new," but the box had been opened and the monitor tested to see if it worked. According to eBay's listing rules, "new" means sealed/unopened. They also had a ridiculous three-day return policy at the buyer's expense. No thanks.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
bbgun;3537094 said:
Almost bought an HP HD monitor last week ... until I read the fine print. Seller listed it as "new," but the box had been opened and the monitor tested to see if it worked. According to eBay's listing rules, "new" means sealed/unopened. They also had a ridiculous three-day return policy at the buyer's expense. No thanks.

I hope you did everyone a favor and reported it.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
nyc;3537106 said:
I hope you did everyone a favor and reported it.

If they list it again using the same terminology, I'll do something.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
I think I have bought 15 items - all good.
I just ask them to wait till the check I send them clears.
But...
Most sellers send right away.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Hoofbite;3537085 said:

I almost sent one off. Thank god the postal worker was looking out for me and told me to check the account before sending it. Think it was going to some European country and he told me to watch out for all overseas shippings.

I already ran into a few problems selling. One, I made some decent sales on music DVD items. Namely, Eric Clapton stuff I never opened, because, well, I think he sucks.

But I sold some books I'll never read again on there, too. I ran into a problem where the margin was really thin, so it wasn't worth my time. So I'd suggest not selling books on there unless you can list them to account for shipping. Even then, those little listing fees add up.

I'm auctioning an i-clicker, for instance, but I had to pay the little fee just to make sure I don't get ripped off on that one. At least that way I break even.

After looking up shipping costs, I'll be more careful about books and what not.

I wasn't going to do it full-time, but I like the site. I think it more buyer-friendly than seller-friendly, though.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Hoofbite;3537085 said:

I had a french guy ask me if I'd ship it to him. However, when I looked up the amount of the shipping via Fed Ex it was a whopping $48 dollars. So I told him if he pays for the shipping, of that amount, sure.... He left a "pfft" and then rambled some broken English Frenchman nonsense.

Whatever, I'll ship it there. But I'll check on it and as long as they honor their word to pay for shipping because I won't do that. Sellers can leave notes on buyers as well.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
I have purchased and sold on Ebay since about 98 or so. I have had nothing but good experiences on the site. I once sold my dads 57 chevy to a guy in PA. while the car was in TX and I was in AK. Great stuff!!

The main thing is to check the sellers feedback. If there are numerous bad feedbacks regarding the seller then common sense says "don't buy from them."

Pretty easy rule to live by. You do that and 95% of your transactions will be butter. :p:

Kevinicus

Reaction score
bbgun;3535987 said:
True, but the fat pig in Bob's vid was engaging in deliberate fraud.

Sneaky yes, fraud no. If it was in the description, I put the blame on the buyer 100%.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3537832 said:
Sneaky yes, fraud no. If it was in the description, I put the blame on the buyer 100%.

You're splitting hairs. Why be "sneaky" if your intent isn't to defraud? Good thing people like you don't sit on the bench or work at the Better Business Bureau.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
bbgun;3537843 said:
You're splitting hairs. Why be "sneaky" if your intent isn't to defraud? Good thing people like you don't sit on the bench or work at the Better Business Bureau.

The world would be a lot better off if it didn't coddle those who are too stupid or lazy to pay attention when they're spending a lot of money. Anyone who falls, or fell for that crap deserves everything they get.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Hoofbite;3537085 said:

I used to list internationally, but I no longer do. I kept getting offers to send it to Romania or Czech Republic with an Ohio zip code.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Hoofbite;3537085 said:

Why in the world did you not just log-in to your PP account and see if the $$ was there? There's no way to "fake" that.

Whenever I get the email notification I've sold an item, the very first thing I do is log-in to my PP account and transfer the balance to my linked bank account.

The last thing I want to do is leave funds in PP's hands, especially since it takes up to 72 hours for a transfer to reach my bank.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
DallasCowpoke;3538708 said:
Why in the world did you not just log-in to your PP account and see if the $$ was there? There's no way to "fake" that.

Whenever I get the email notification I've sold an item, the very first thing I do is log-in to my PP account and transfer the balance to my linked bank account.

The last thing I want to do is leave funds in PP's hands, especially since it takes up to 72 hours for a transfer to reach my bank.

:thumbup: +1