Are BP's drafting skills overrated?

Eskimo

Reaction score
I know people give a lot of credit to BP for improving the talent level of this team but I think it would be difficult for anyone to do worse than the former regime run by Jones/Lacewell. I think it is only in comparison to the previous regime that we think BP has done well. Let's take a look at his first day performance in his 4 years here. I have highlighted what I believe the good picks were (and I have been generous here):

2003:

T-New: good player, but a #5 pick should be a Pro Bowl player and rightly or wrongly he has only made the Pro Bowl as an alternate. His ball skills are poor.

Al Johnson: backup OL - bad pick.

Jason Witten: Pro Bowl TE and Parcells best pick overall.

2004:

Julius: starter, good running back but not a star

Jacob Rogers: monumental bust

Stephen Peterman = bust

2005:

Ware = Pro Bowler, Parcells 2nd best pick

Spears = below average starter

Burnett = nickel LB, too small to play in this scheme, poor pick in 2nd round

Henson = bust

2006:

Carpenter = future starter, looked solid at end of season, unlikely to be an impact player

Fasano = backup TE, okay blocker, underwhelming receiver, doesn't look like he will be a big contributor

Hatcher = backup, has potential, good pick

So overall, only 6 of the 13 picks look like real keepers so far. Now I haven't charted what other teams have done but I suspect this performance really isn't much better than what an average GM would have done with a similar alotment of picks.

Now I will agree that Parcells has probably done better than average with his second day picks but most of those guys are depth type guys and not impact players. He does deserve some kudos for Romo but his play deteriorated significantly over time so we will have to see how he adjusts to how the league has adjusted to him before we know what we have with him.

jesusphreak

Reaction score
There's a whole lot of late-round and undrafted talent that you have left out. You did mention them in passing, but they are still worth mentioning by name.

For example, 2005 saw us get Marion Barber.

Sabu1

Reaction score
Parcells has done pretty well with the draft. Not complaining there. My main complaint is the lack of focus in our players.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Draft is like the lottery, rarely do you win as much as you expect to, usually its a disappointment. Every now and then you get that winning ticket though.

Unfortunately the Commanders dont really understand the concept of the draft most years.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
2nd day or rookie free agents like Barber, Canty, Ratliff, Watkins, Crayton, Romo, James...nice developmental guys like Hurd and Austin..Tyson Thompson looked like he might be something before he got hurt

he has done a good job with the grocery shopping...its the meal preparation that stinks

David

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Guys, he stated in his post..."lets take a look at his first day performance".

notherbob

Reaction score
:hammer:
Sabu1;1297165 said:
Parcells has done pretty well with the draft. Not complaining there. My main complaint is the lack of focus in our players.

:hammer:

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps;1297166 said:
Draft is like the lottery, rarely do you win as much as you expect to, usually its a disappointment. Every now and then you get that winning ticket though.

Unfortunately the Commanders dont really understand the concept of the draft most years.

You have to have a ticket first. ;)

Lifetimeboyzfan

Reaction score
Eskimo;1297132 said:
I know people give a lot of credit to BP for improving the talent level of this team but I think it would be difficult for anyone to do worse than the former regime run by Jones/Lacewell. I think it is only in comparison to the previous regime that we think BP has done well. Let's take a look at his first day performance in his 4 years here. I have highlighted what I believe the good picks were (and I have been generous here):

2003:

T-New: good player, but a #5 pick should be a Pro Bowl player and rightly or wrongly he has only made the Pro Bowl as an alternate. His ball skills are poor.

Al Johnson: backup OL - bad pick.

Jason Witten: Pro Bowl TE and Parcells best pick overall.

2004:

Julius: starter, good running back but not a star

Jacob Rogers: monumental bust

Stephen Peterman = bust

2005:

Ware = Pro Bowler, Parcells 2nd best pick

Spears = below average starter

Burnett = nickel LB, too small to play in this scheme, poor pick in 2nd round

Henson = bust

2006:

Carpenter = future starter, looked solid at end of season, unlikely to be an impact player

Fasano = backup TE, okay blocker, underwhelming receiver, doesn't look like he will be a big contributor

Hatcher = backup, has potential, good pick

So overall, only 6 of the 13 picks look like real keepers so far. Now I haven't charted what other teams have done but I suspect this performance really isn't much better than what an average GM would have done with a similar alotment of picks.

Now I will agree that Parcells has probably done better than average with his second day picks but most of those guys are depth type guys and not impact players. He does deserve some kudos for Romo but his play deteriorated significantly over time so we will have to see how he adjusts to how the league has adjusted to him before we know what we have with him.

Way too early to give up on Spears, Burnett, Fasano, or Carp. Just silly. If guys don't start making an impact by there third year, then bust out the whole "wasted pick" label. Did you watch the game last night? Carpenter was our best player on Deffense and as was mentioned in another thread, singlehandedly kept us in the game the first half.

But I guess if you and Miss Cleo say these guys can't play, they can't play. :rolleyes:

Eskimo

Reaction score
jesusphreak;1297161 said:
There's a whole lot of late-round and undrafted talent that you have left out.

I mentioned in the second paragraph but if you want the real plus picks in those rounds count the following players:

1 5 Terence Newman CB Kansas State
2 38 Al Johnson C Wisconsin
3 69 Jason Witten TE Tennessee
4 103 Bradie James ILB Louisiana State
6 178 B.J. Tucker CB Wisconsin
6 186 Zuriel Smith WR Hampton
7 219 Justin Bates G Colorado

Rd Sel# Player Pos. School
2 43 Julius Jones RB Notre Dame
2 52 Jacob Rogers T Southern California
3 83 Stephen Peterman G Louisiana State
4 121 Bruce Thornton CB Georgia
5 144 Sean Ryan TE Boston College
7 205 Nathan Jones CB Rutgers
7 216 Patrick Crayton WR N.W. Oklahoma
7 223 Jacques Reeves CB Purdue

Rd Sel# Player Pos. School
1 11 DeMarcus Ware OLB Troy
1 20 Marcus Spears DE Louisiana State
2 42 Kevin Burnett OLB Tennessee
4 109 Marion Barber RB Minnesota
4 132 Chris Canty DE Virginia
6 208 Justin Beriault FS Ball State
6 209 Rob Petitti T Pittsburgh
7 224 Jay Ratliff DE Auburn

1 18 Bobby Carpenter LB Ohio State
2 53 Anthony Fasano TE Notre Dame
3 92 Jason Hatcher DE Grambling
4 125 Skyler Green WR LSU
5 138 Pat Watkins S FSU
6 182 Montavious Stanley DT Lousville
7 211 Pat McQuistan OT Weber State
7 224 EJ Whitley OL Texas Tech

That's for those of you who want to look for lower round performances. I only count players who I think have made a significant contribution to the team for their draft status. I don't give much credit to backups who haven't proven much (McQuistan, Reeves, Nate Jones, Fasano) or starters who play poorly (Bradie James, Marcus Spears...).

yesfan

Reaction score
Carp looked damn good last night.I think this
kid in the weight room next year and more playing time,
could make him an impact player.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Sabu1;1297165 said:

But has he really been far above average as everyone maintains here. You need great drafts to build a great team - have our drafts really been great or is it a misperception here because of years of poor drafting by the previous regime.

I'm just challenging the conventional wisdom here that BP has been great at drafting. Maybe it's true. Maybe he's only average.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We do as well in the draft as anybody if not better.

Its a crap shoot and to get as much young talent as we have from the draft how can you not appreciate the job hes done in the draft unless your pretty clueless on how it works?

Go scan some other teams and tell me how they did.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Lifetimeboyzfan;1297180 said:
Way too early to give up on Spears, Burnett, Fasano, or Carp. Just silly. If guys don't start making an impact by there third year, then bust out the whole "wasted pick" label. Did you watch the game last night? Carpenter was our best player on Deffense and as was mentioned in another thread, singlehandedly kept us in the game the first half.

But I guess if you and Miss Cleo say these guys can't play, they can't play. :rolleyes:

Carpenter was highlighted, check your eyesight. ;)

As for Fasano, he looks like a backup TE and that is not good enough use of a second rounder. He really looked like a 4th round talent on the field. He does have time to prove himself but think he will be a JAG.

Burnett looks to be too small to play in this defense at 230 pounds and you need your second rounders to be starters. That is why I have come down negative on this pick right now. I do believe he has talent and could be a good 4-3 WLB but that is not a position in our base defense so he is only a part-time player for now and the future unless a new regime comes in.

Spears = no drive/determination/heart. You expect much better with a mid-first round pick but he too has time to take his game up a notch but the clock is ticking on him. Compare him to Castillo who was picked after him.

Eskimo

Reaction score
CATCH17;1297235 said:
We do as well in the draft as anybody if not better.

Its a crap shoot and to get as much young talent as we have from the draft how can you not appreciate the job hes done in the draft unless your pretty clueless on how it works?

Go scan some other teams and tell me how they did.

My point is that everyone here claims we have done so well without any substantiation. Maybe we have and maybe we haven't - I'm not really sure. I'm posing it as a question rather than a statement of fact.

As for how other teams have done, we would really have to ask experts on the other teams to grade their players as I only have to watch Cowboys games and not the games of all the other teams in the league.

Rush 2112

Reaction score
Eskimo;1297254 said:
My point is that everyone here claims we have done so well without any substantiation. Maybe we have and maybe we haven't - I'm not really sure. I'm posing it as a question rather than a statement of fact.

As for how other teams have done, we would really have to ask experts on the other teams to grade their players as I only have to watch Cowboys games and not the games of all the other teams in the league.

Yet you give your analysis of the players as if they are facts.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
Parcells has done ok drafting. The thing that is annoying me now is we've gotten cute in the draft too much. The guys that were sitting in our laps that we've passed because we've traded down who are off to good careers is frustrating. From here on out, I say we have to take the guy that is sitting there in our laps when we are on the board.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You guys always want more more more.

Nobody ever gets congrats for a job well done.

Regardless of how little some of you know about the draft Parcells has done a really good job drafting for us.

Hes also done a good job of finding guys nobody else knew about in undrafted free agents.

As for Fasano, he looks like a backup TE and that is not good enough use of a second rounder.

Hes not a backup when we run an offense that requires 2 tight ends.

Fasano is a starter... Ok? Plus hes a rookie. You've already wrote down what his career is going to be after just a rookie season.

The guys that were sitting in our laps that we've passed because we've traded down who are off to good careers is frustrating. From here on out, I say we have to take the guy that is sitting there in our laps when we are on the board.

Im sure your talking about guys like for example Marcus Mcneil who was passed on by a lot of teams because of his injury in college and weren't even sure if the guy would be able to play.

2nd guessing is so easy when it comes to the draft but its just a crapshoot and we are very fortunate to be able to draft the way we have.