Are Clippers currently 'America's Team?'

KB1122

Reaction score
The NBA doesn't have a large enough audience to be America's team. And certainly not the Clippers.

Reaction score
GRRRRRRRRRRRR If there were a basketball team that was America's team, it would have to be Chicago Bulls in my opinion. This whole Sterling thing is getting out of control. I'm not saying I condone what he said, but it was illegally recorded in his private home which violated his freedom of speech. Not to mention he was clearly baited into saying the wrong things as she pushed him into saying things even when he said he had no problem with minorities, all along with not knowing he was being recorded. If he had nothing but hate for other races,he could have said a lot more than the little bit he had said. America is in trouble, our constitution and American rights are being stepped on everyday and it shuld alarm every American but it isn't. I'll leave it at that.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
GRRRRRRRRRRRR If there were a basketball team that was America's team, it would have to be Chicago Bulls in my opinion. This whole Sterling thing is getting out of control. I'm not saying I condone what he said, but it was illegally recorded in his private home which violated his freedom of speech. Not to mention he was clearly baited into saying the wrong things as she pushed him into saying things even when he said he had no problem with minorities, all along with not knowing he was being recorded. If he had nothing but hate for other races,he could have said a lot more than the little bit he had said. America is in trouble, our constitution and American rights are being stepped on everyday and it shuld alarm every American but it isn't. I'll leave it at that.

Not sure about that, man. From what I understand, you can sue someone for damages for recording you without consent, but you're not going to receive jail time for it or anything. Has nothing to do with freedom of speech, for sure, and seems to me like it would be handled in civil litigation... I could be wrong, though. I'm not a lawyer.

Anyway. I don't know if the Bulls should be America's team either. Maybe back when Jordan was there. Seemed like the only people that didn't like Jordan and the bulls were teams that they went through in the playoffs/finals.

Clippers are just a feel good story. But no more of a feel good story than the Saints in '09, and I despised that team for the way the NFL seemed to pave the way for them to get the Lombardi.

America's Team? Nah. They'll be forgotten about in a few months.

cajuncocoa

✮ ✮ ✮ ✮ ✮
Reaction score
It's just ridiculous how ESPN tries to slap that label on every Flavor of the Week. But of course, whether in the article or in the comments section, it doesn't get far before someone mentions us (whether positively or negatively, doesn't matter). Everyone knows who America's Team really is.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
which violated his freedom of speech.

It never ceases to amaze me how little people actually know about the first amendment.

The first amendment reads as follows "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances"

None of what happened, violates his first amendment rights, since the NBA is a privately owned organization. Add on top of that, it appears at least that Donald Sterling signed an agreement that gives the commissioner the power to take the actions he has.

Ironically, assuming that V Stiviano doesn't admit to recording him, the first amendment will indirectly protect her, since it could be argued that TMZ does not have to reveal their source.

Even when you look at how broadly the law has been applied at times, none of it comes close to this situation.

our constitution and American rights are being stepped on everyday and it should alarm every American but it isn't. I'll leave it at that.

What alarms me, is the lack of understanding of our constitution. Freedom of speech does not protect someone from consequences that come from the public or private groups. Go to work tomorrow and tell your boss he/she is a fat mother ****** and you want to kill them slowly with a paper clip, then when you get fired, try to find a lawyer to take your case.

ifixoldhouses

Reaction score
I had never heard of the Clippers till this media storm about them , nobody cares about basketball.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They are not even L.A.'s team. Sure, maybe flavor of the year but they are still the red-headed stepchild in Los Angeles.

Reaction score
It never ceases to amaze me how little people actually know about the first amendment.

The first amendment reads as follows "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances"

None of what happened, violates his first amendment rights, since the NBA is a privately owned organization. Add on top of that, it appears at least that Donald Sterling signed an agreement that gives the commissioner the power to take the actions he has.

Ironically, assuming that V Stiviano doesn't admit to recording him, the first amendment will indirectly protect her, since it could be argued that TMZ does not have to reveal their source.

Even when you look at how broadly the law has been applied at times, none of it comes close to this situation.

What alarms me, is the lack of understanding of our constitution. Freedom of speech does not protect someone from consequences that come from the public or private groups. Go to work tomorrow and tell your boss he/she is a fat mother ****** and you want to kill them slowly with a paper clip, then when you get fired, try to find a lawyer to take your case.

LOL That bottom parts was pretty funny but also makes sense. I'm just appaled that she pressed and pressed to make him say something incriminating while spending the guys money. Not that he isn't an idiot to see that. Ether way I'm just tired of hearing about this everytime I turn on the news. I also believe it should go both ways because there are Black athletes and higher ups that have said pretty bad things about other races and should suffer the same backlash. Not trying to start a race debate, it should just go both ways and untortunately it doesn't in most cases.