Are cowboy coaches "hard headed"

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
They have been much more progressive on defense.

They've changed scheme wise since last year and they're using different lineups in the secondary and I don't just mean the ones due to injury.

They occasionally stand up a DE of have one drop in coverage.

The use the 3-man line as a great change-up.

They've played multiple coverages:
Zone
Off Man
Man Under
Press Man
2-deep
Single-High

They used different player at slot CB within the same game and I'm not referring to injury decisions.

On offense they are a bit predictable but not as much as when Garrett was the play caller.

They were audibling a good bit, but backed off when too many runs got changed to pass plays.

They have some limitations with Witten's lack of speed and the terrible and unpredictable route running by Dez.

They have schemed to get a WR open occasionally but not often.

They did get a little tricky on the Hanna TD play.

They don't need radical changes but do need a little more creativity.

They need to practice pick plays. The few times they tried it, they were way too obvious.

Sometimes their route combinations don't make sense. In the Rams game on 2nd and 10, they ran all receivers including Witten past 10 yards. Dak got sacked before anyone turned around. It was just 2nd down. Why not have at least 1 short route? A short pass could leave them 3rd and 7 instead of 3rd and 15 after the sack.
mr xwalker--- i must say i appreciate your approach in reasoning through problem solving...i consider you one of my sources to filter through party line answers or disinformation or plain ignorance...keep truckin bro

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Well brother..

Great post.

I think the Cowboy coaches see no reason to change.

They want to stay within what they think works best.

I understand..

2016 was so good

2014 was so good..

2015 was a bonfire season.

So it's hard to change unless you have to.

At what point do we have to?

dear astute fellow member---- yes i agree in the macro-adjustment picture...i am talking about making adjustment within framework of existing game plan...more crossing patterns for receivers....being prepared to move or remove liability even short term such as Heath...considering adjustment for O line for improvement..example..more power blocking verses zone blocking...institute putting both Switzer and Beasely in
formations to ensure quick 5 yard gains...because they are bracketing beasely..they cannot bracket both beasely and Switzer with Williams and Dez in lineup...consider using Hanna more as receiver...initially that was the thought..he has sub 4.5 speed and good hands...and now he is a great blocker too...we can do most of these things without giving away what we are doing pre-snap...and of course the big one....practicing and
developing within game plan to us Zeke as receiver...it can be done also in backfield without giving away pre-snap...these are just a few in my thoughts...i am very interested in your thoughts on this..i consider you an xwalker as some of my sources to find truth through all the garbage and disinformation

sincerely GORICO

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
mr xwalker--- i must say i appreciate your approach in reasoning through problem solving...i consider you one of my sources to filter through party line answers or disinformation or plain ignorance...keep truckin bro
You sir are a true Gentleman. The Jason Witten of CZ.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
square-peg-round-hole1-210x300.jpg

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
They lost two games.
[1] Denver out manned us.
[2] LAR out coached us.
This Mcvay guy is a wunderkind.

Mr. Monkey ( of the waving persuasion )----oh dude...did that Mcvay put some hurt on us as O coordinator of Commanders...i agree wholeheartedly with your assessment...and with LAR and with Denver..problem being when teams are exposing us on different fronts this is very concerning...out manned.out coached.. out prepared or schemed...i hope the coaching can be humble enough to let go of mental obstacles if indeed they exist

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Their philosophy is really simple, "Line up and beat your man."

The problem is that looks great on a T-Shirt, but it doesn't work in today's NFL on a consistent basis.
mr TheCount---- I think you hit the nail on its head...it sounds great in OTA sounds great in camp.sounds great as the beginning of a preamble...

but it can be a roadblock for seeing things as they are and making appropriate adjustments....good call mr Count

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think that our defense has been void of talent and our offense has been terrible since Garrett got here. I think our offense completely relies on players beating other players 100% of the time with no help from the scheme. That will be the case sometimes but it shouldn't be all of the time. The offense so often asked Romo for a miracle, make something happen play. Last season, it relied on the offensive line and Zeke to move the chains. There has to be some level of execution and deception in this league.

mr Cowboysfan917---- you nailed it and said it much better than i did and i started this post

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
dear cowboy homers---It seems to me when i watch other teams make not only in game adjustments
but also yearly adjustments...and it seems to me our cowboy coaches dont like change much.with exception of overhauling secondary...we keep trying to do the same things even when they dont work...i think of refusing
to be more creative with all our playmakers on offense especially receivers...or...keeping Heath at safety
because he is a veteran...or...not makeing adjustments to our O Line blocking scheme...staying with zone
scheme when our power scheme was effective too...the coach of the Patriots is the all time best when it
comes to making any and all adjustments if warranted

Or maybe its just me and i am the one who is out to lunch?
The Cowboy coaching staff is excellent. Don’t listen to knee jerk fans. People are too easy to quit these days. Disappointing.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Certainly.

Particularly on offense. We like to have a gameplan and stick to that gameplan on offense even when it's not work as sorta say 'sooner or later they can't stop this gameplan' which may be true...but it may be too little too late. We still like to have Witten run 4-yard routes and because Hanna blocked well 2-years ago we still think he can do the same thing.

Defense we are a little less hard headed as Rod makes adjustments all of the time in games and they often work. The problem for Rod is when the gameplan works well in the second half and the other team adjusts then he struggles to adjust to that adjustment.

But Rod is very anti-blitz and usually doesn't blitz until it's too late.

And you watch...no matter how poorly Heath plays...he'll start at safety unless he gets hurt. They will begrudingly bring Woods along no matter how well he plays. In fact, they'll probably put Frazier out there before Woods.

Mr Yakuza Rich----your response is true and very sobering...but dont worry when it does not work Garrett will just clap and say we only need to clean up a few things and get back to who we really are...and now lets move on its day by day and we are moving in the right direction because
we have the right kind of guys

YR

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The Cowboy coaching staff is excellent. Don’t listen to knee jerk fans. People are too easy to quit these days. Disappointing.

mr Rockport---truthfully i hope you are the one who sees things as they are and i am the disappointing knee jerk fan...cause i am a cowboy Homer who likes it when we win...and it would not be the first time i have been wrong and wont be the last

waving monkey

Reaction score
Mr. Monkey ( of the waving persuasion )----oh dude...did that Mcvay put some hurt on us as O coordinator of Commanders...i agree wholeheartedly with your assessment...and with LAR and with Denver..problem being when teams are exposing us on different fronts this is very concerning...out manned.out coached.. out prepared or schemed...i hope the coaching can be humble enough to let go of mental obstacles if indeed they exist
They have a system many here don't like their system and that's opinion but thank god they wont face McVay too often.

Couto72

Reaction score
dear cowboy homers---It seems to me when i watch other teams make not only in game adjustments
but also yearly adjustments...and it seems to me our cowboy coaches dont like change much.with exception of overhauling secondary...we keep trying to do the same things even when they dont work...i think of refusing
to be more creative with all our playmakers on offense especially receivers...or...keeping Heath at safety
because he is a veteran...or...not makeing adjustments to our O Line blocking scheme...staying with zone
scheme when our power scheme was effective too...the coach of the Patriots is the all time best when it
comes to making any and all adjustments if warranted

Or maybe its just me and i am the one who is out to lunch?

Couto72

Reaction score
Totally agree.

This coaching staff always seems to catch on way to late! They waited 2 years to long to overhaul the secondary and still without a #1 corner. Now I have to watch them take way to long to realize that Woods has more ability than Heath even as a rookie.

Not to mention that our linebacking core is always out of position. And Byron Jones has not shown me enough playmaking ability to warrant his draft status.

I know free agency is not the answer, but we had an opportunity to add a couple of proven upgrades that would have s

kumizi

Reaction score
JG has pretty much openly admitted his mantra is to “we’re going to try to do what we do well instead of worrying about the opponent.”

Look at Belichick. His greatest strength is tailoring his game plan to his opponent.

It blows my mind JG has been a coach so long. Jerry is probably too scared to start over because he’s so damn old. We are in need of a progressive thinker and an innovative mind.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Ah....they just blame it on the players.

You know. The schemes and plays are great..hey look, it didn't work cause so and so got beat by his man

On every play during film review, I'm sure there was someone who was open that Dak could have thrown it too, or some o linemen got beat thus the play didn't work, or some receiver didn't do this or that.

Simple, just blame the players for execution since your system is based on beating your man