Are electric cars the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flamma

Reaction score
In my opinion they are not. They are a novelty. If they were to compete on a level playing field, they would fail.

Does anyone like them? I'll admit, I think they are interesting. But I wouldn't buy one to be my regular car. I might buy one as a toy if I find money to burn.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
They’ve got to be the future. That or hydrogen or some other type of renewable energy. Fossil fuels are not infinite.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eventually it will happen...

My wife has an electronic car (Nissan Leaf). We love it for a driving around town. We have solar panels so it's even cheap to charge the car. However; I believe we are a long way before having a majority electric cars. I have a feeling states that have been aggressive in laws mandating will have to roll back some of the laws. The infrastructure is a long way to go.

I still have an ICE car and truck. I keep a couple of Jerry cans of gas for hurricane season. I don't have Jerry cans of battery power.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Eventually it will happen...

My wife has an electronic car (Nissan Leaf). We love it for a driving around town. We have solar panels so it's even cheap to charge the car. However; I believe we are a long way before having a majority electric cars. I have a feeling states that have been aggressive in laws mandating will have to roll back some of the laws. The infrastructure is a long way to go.

I still have an ICE car and truck. I keep a couple of Jerry cans of gas for hurricane season. I don't have Jerry cans of battery power.
You have solar which is free and renewable. Throw in a water catchment system and you’re all set.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
They may be but not as they exist now. It's a long ways down the road. And I don't mean 3-4 years.

It's smart to continue moving in that direction. Eventually we will get there. Lowering the dependency on fossil fuels is a good thing.
I believe the federal government is installing powering stations throughout the country as we speak.

DFWJC

Reaction score
In my opinion they are not. They are a novelty. If they were to compete on a level playing field, they would fail.

Does anyone like them? I'll admit, I think they are interesting. But I wouldn't buy one to be my regular car. I might buy one as a toy if I find money to burn.
At some point they or, more likely, some other "renewable" will be.

Right now, they are not remotely "renewable".....requiring the equivalent of driving 80k miles in the average gas-powered engine car just to break even environmentally. And that is the most conservative estimate.

Their all-in (mining, labor, materials, building, etc, etc) environmental costs are flat-out awful. Not to mention the disposal.

DFWJC

Reaction score
You have solar which is free and renewable. Throw in a water catchment system and you’re all set.
Solar panels and construction are not renewable. And the disposal is awful

But the "source" of solar is renewable.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
In short, no. Rare earth minerals are finite as well and our planet is being torn up mining them. It also takes fossil fuels to get these minerals. There is also a problem of battery disposal, imagine that on a very large scale. Many think the planet will be all good if that awful fossil fuel is gone. Pretty much everything depends on it from manufacturing goods that are in our everyday lives that most don’t realize. The infrastructure isn’t even close to handle just a 20% increase in sales and won’t be for awhile….10+ years.

It will have to be from a different source like hydrogen or something similar and that becoming a reality is probably 50 years down the road.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
It's a process that will include other forms of renewable energy. There is a lot to consider with resource acquisition and disposal. True believers that think there is a switch to flip, and voilà, no more fossil fuels, are misguided at best.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
In short, no. Rare earth minerals are finite as well and our planet is being torn up mining them. It also takes fossil fuels to get these minerals. There is also a problem of battery disposal, imagine that on a very large scale. Many think the planet will be all good if that awful fossil fuel is gone. Pretty much everything depends on it from manufacturing goods that are in our everyday lives that most don’t realize. The infrastructure isn’t even close to handle just a 20% increase in sales and won’t be for awhile….10+ years.

It will have to be from a different source like hydrogen or something similar and that becoming a reality is probably 50 years down the road.
At the end of 2022, 14% of all vehicles sold worldwide were electric. It’s exploding in just the next few years.

IMG-0453.webp

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
At some point they or, more likely, some other "renewable" will be.

Right now, they are not remotely "renewable".....requiring the equivalent of driving 80k miles in the average gas-powered engine car just to break even environmentally. And that is the most conservative estimate.

Their all-in (mining, labor, materials, building, etc, etc) environmental costs are flat-out awful. Not to mention the disposal.
The transportation sector accounts for the largest share of U.S. petroleum consumption.
  • The percentage share of total U.S. petroleum consumption by major end-use sectors in 2022 was:
  • transportation 66.6%
  • industrial 27.5%
  • residential 2.8%
  • commercial 2.5%
  • electric power 0.6%
I don’t believe any of your statements above. You obviously have an agenda. And I know what it is.

Hardline

Reaction score
As of right now the answer is no. Solar and electric is not viable. And when they are it will be the private sector that develops the technology .

csirl

Reaction score
A large % of western countries have banned the sale of ICE vehicles from sometime in the 2030s. So the writing is already on the wall for the ICE car. The big global manufacturers will have one line of cars worldwide - which will be what they can sell across most of the market.

I think the electric car will improve dramatically over the next few years and become much better than ICE. A bit like how mobile phones quickly went from clunky with poor battery life to smartphones as usage/demand grew.

Ive never owned or driven an electric car - but the year on year growth in popularity speaks for itself.

1942willys

Reaction score
The transportation sector accounts for the largest share of U.S. petroleum consumption.
  • The percentage share of total U.S. petroleum consumption by major end-use sectors in 2022 was:
  • transportation 66.6%
  • industrial 27.5%
  • residential 2.8%
  • commercial 2.5%
  • electric power 0.6%
I don’t believe any of your statements above. You obviously have an agenda. And I know what it is.
Rich coming from someone that ALWAYS has an agenda

And half informed drivel on the subject is rather amusing

1942willys

Reaction score
At the end of 2022, 14% of all vehicles sold worldwide were electric. It’s exploding in just the next few years.

IMG-0453.webp

14% of new cars sold are electric
1.47 BILLION CARS TOTAL
20 million electric
now the real question was that a mistake or deliberately misleading

Status
Not open for further replies.