Are Energy Drinks Dangerous to Your Health?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
By David Zinczenko with Matt Goulding
Mar 11, 2011

It’s one of the greatest marketing tricks in the history of beverages: Turning a can of obesity-inducing sugar water into the coolest product in the supermarket. Here’s how it’s done.

1. Give your can of sugar water a hip-sounding name, like Monster, Rockstar, or Amp.

2. Promise that the product will do something exciting to your body, like boosting your energy and alertness, so you, too, can be a rock star—or at least stay up as late as one.

3. Make your product sound slightly dangerous. Anything will sound cooler when grown-ups hate it: Dr. Oz calls energy drinks “addictive” and “unhealthy.” Other experts point to thousands of caffeine overdoses among young people 19 and under.

But all the hoopla surrounding energy drinks is just hysteria, right? Sure, drinking them by the six-pack isn’t a good idea, but in moderation, a single can of cold, tangy, eyeball-popping energy fuel can’t be bad for you . . .

Or can it?

Read more: http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatthis/are-energy-drinks-dangerous

urface59

Reaction score
Read the article. Like I've always assumed they don't sound anny worse for you than the average soda, which is to say they are still pretty darn bad for you. But I doubt anyone really believed Monsters, Redbulls and whatnot really were healthy.

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
anyone thinking these drinks are healthy is missing half a brain. I tried these things before, and all they did was put me to sleep (I drank a red bull once before a final so I could pull an all-nighter, and I promptly fell asleep).

If I get tired but need to stay up, I put aside 5 minutes every 30 minutes to do something my brain enjoys, like a sodoku, or a tower defense game (5 minute timer, sometimes these games are so addictive). It gets me through roughly 30 minutes before I feel like dozing off again. After a couple of hours, I gotta do stuff to keep my body awake, so I just take short jogs.

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
Energy Drinks are ok. How about 5 hour energies with their 0 sugar?

Whatever though. Cocaine works better than them either way, and is probably better for you in small doses.:p:

It certainly won't make you gain weight.

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
VietCowboy;3882920 said:
anyone thinking these drinks are healthy is missing half a brain. I tried these things before, and all they did was put me to sleep (I drank a red bull once before a final so I could pull an all-nighter, and I promptly fell asleep).

If I get tired but need to stay up, I put aside 5 minutes every 30 minutes to do something my brain enjoys, like a sodoku, or a tower defense game (5 minute timer, sometimes these games are so addictive). It gets me through roughly 30 minutes before I feel like dozing off again. After a couple of hours, I gotta do stuff to keep my body awake, so I just take short jogs.

huh...what? I'm sorry I fell asleep while reading about how you like sodoku or tower defense gazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

ShiningStar

Reaction score
I think we deteremined everything down to moonlight is either bad for you, or causes cancer or we'll find a cure for it or down right after you give us money you dont need it anymore.

The energy drinks will fit in one of those cateregories.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I avoid them like the plague and do not allow them in my house.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
nyc;3883108 said:
I avoid them like the plague and do not allow them in my house.

Afraid you will turn into cornholio there Beavis?
:p: ;)

On a serious note. I have bought a few when I had to go on longer road trips. Driving long distances makes me so tired so it helps some.

Other than that, I just stick with Mountain Dew for my caffeine. :D

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3883111 said:
Afraid you will turn into cornholio there Beavis?
:p: ;)

On a serious note. I have bought a few when I had to go on longer road trips. Driving long distances makes me so tired so it helps some.

Other than that, I just stick with Mountain Dew for my caffeine. :D

MD is an energy drink. :) It was probably the second one in existence. I think Jolt was the first.

The reason I don't like them is they stress the body. If you are forcing your body to do stuff it doesn't want to do on a daily basis, you aren't doing yourself any favors health wise. You are better off getting more rest at night, eating well, and at least minimal daily exercise. Those will get your plenty of energy where don't need to drink garbage.

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
nyc;3883117 said:
MD is an energy drink. :) It was probably the second one in existence. I think Jolt was the first.

The reason I don't like them is they stress the body. If you are forcing your body to do stuff it doesn't want to do on a daily basis, you aren't doing yourself any favors health wise. You are better off getting more rest at night, eating well, and at least minimal daily exercise. Those will get your plenty of energy where don't need to drink garbage.

This.....but death my mountain dew is not a bad way to go. Man that stuff is good!

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
CATCH17;3883128 said:
Just brew some Green Tea.

:bow: So true.

My wife makes some and puts it in a thermos when we go for a long drive. That stuff works like a charm and it has no sugar and is 100% healthy.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What if you just go and get a ginseng root?

I remember when most people never heard of ginseng except for some herbal places in the states...then bang it started exploding.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Look at you sheep!! You should be ashamed...

Red Bull gives you WINGS.

I drink 1 12oz each morning then I chase it w/ a 16oz Latte. It is THAT GOOD!

YESSSS!!

Go drink it.....NOW...or you will be SORRY !!!

Look who flies w/ me in my very own personal jet when I drink Red Bull?

The Red Bull Wing girls.....

[URL="http://www.silvershed.com/media/images/red-bull-girls.jpg"] [/URL]

I cropped out the stripper pole for you younguns reading this. :D

Reaction score
I have an acquaintance who used to chug Red Bulls like crazy. Like several a day. He ended up starting to just randomly pass out and his brain was doing some very crazy stuff, and once the doctor told him to stop drinking them he went back to being alright.

I mean, obviously that won't happen to you drinking one once in a while, but what's the point? If you actually rest and exercise like you should you'll have all the energy you'll ever need.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Joshmvii;3883572 said:
I have an acquaintance who used to chug Red Bulls like crazy. Like several a day. He ended up starting to just randomly pass out and his brain was doing some very crazy stuff, and once the doctor told him to stop drinking them he went back to being alright.

I mean, obviously that won't happen to you drinking one once in a while, but what's the point? If you actually rest and exercise like you should you'll have all the energy you'll ever need.

I actually LIKE the taste of Red Bull. That is the only reason I drink it. It does absoultely nothing for me.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
ninja;3883277 said:
:bow: So true.

My wife makes some and puts it in a thermos when we go for a long drive. That stuff works like a charm and it has no sugar and is 100% healthy.

I drank a cup at 9 am this morning and im still going strong.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Teren_Kanan;3882966 said:
Energy Drinks are ok. How about 5 hour energies with their 0 sugar?

Whatever though. Cocaine works better than them either way, and is probably better for you in small doses.:p:

It certainly won't make you gain weight.

That is what Charlie sheen uses and it works duh. Winner. :laugh2: