Are MLB Players today faster than yesteryears players?

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
I grew up in the 80s - 90s watching the Ricky Henderson’s, Kenny Lofton’s, etc. I remember watching these players blazing around the bases. Are the players today just as fast or faster than yesteryears? Could Ricky Henderson still steal 149 bases in this era of baseball? I haven’t watched baseball much over the last several years, but this World Series has drawn back my love for the game.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
I think baseball is the sport where it matters the least. Basketball football and hockey the speed difference changes the game completely in baseball it's only slightly different.

What say all of you?

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It is hard to say. They don't steal bases like they used to. Coleman, Henderson, etc were very fast but I bet there are a few players like them today. They just don't show it off like the past. Small-ball went the way of the long-ball.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I grew up in the 80s - 90s watching the Ricky Henderson’s, Kenny Lofton’s, etc. I remember watching these players blazing around the bases. Are the players today just as fast or faster than yesteryears? Could Ricky Henderson still steal 149 bases in this era of baseball? I haven’t watched baseball much over the last several years, but this World Series has drawn back my love for the game.
Ricky wouldn't be able to steal 149 because of the catcher's arm's these days, as well as the way the game has changed. He would be played different -- used according to analytics. Instead of given free reign like he had.

We barely run Trout, who is estimated to run a 4.3/40 at 220 lbs. He's rarely thrown out, but he gets, at most, 35-40 chances a year, depending on how our idiot manager uses him

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
It is hard to say. They don't steal bases like they used to. Coleman, Henderson, etc were very fast but I bet there are a few players like them today. They just don't show it off like the past. Small-ball went the way of the long-ball.
This is it. Small ball has been replaced by a league that values homers and extra base hits over K's. K's are fine in this new league.

If it was the old era, people like Crawford, Trout, etc would have nearly 100 SBs a year, as they are better athletes than the players of the past.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is it. Small ball has been replaced by a league that values homers and extra base hits over K's. K's are fine in this new league.

I wonder if the "Houston approach" is going to change some thinking...

Houston went from last in the league in the % of at-bats being struck out to the best in two seasons. Their offense improved considerably.

And they quit taking first pitch strikes like many in the majors presently do. If the first pitch is in the zone they'll swing, which has decreased their strikeout percentage a great deal.