Are the Cowboys a contender?

Blitzen

Reaction score
They can beat the 6-10 (or worse teams) most of the time, some of the 7-9 to 10-6 teams, but rarely beat the 11-5 and above teams. Their best two opponents already beat them (NO and GB). Gotta beat the best in the biggest games if you actually want to be taken seriously. At least the game vs the Patriots gives them a chance to see where they are vs a universally accepted elite team (as long as both teams aren't missing lots of impact players). Minnesota is also a pretty good test as well, though they have consistency issues too.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They can beat the 6-10 (or worse teams) most of the time, some of the 7-9 to 10-6 teams, but rarely beat the 11-5 and above teams. Their best two opponents already beat them (NO and GB). Gotta beat the best in the biggest games if you actually want to be taken seriously. At least the game vs the Patriots gives them a chance to see where they are vs a universally accepted elite team (as long as both teams aren't missing lots of impact players). Minnesota is also a pretty good test as well, though they have consistency issues too.

I think "consistency" is an excellent choice of words. And the lack of consistency I continue to see from the Cowboys is exactly why I can't feel good about labeling them as "contenders" at this point.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Here we go again. Two straight wins and we're back discussing whether we're contenders.
This stretch is going to reveal who we really are. I'll get back to you in four games.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I continue to believe on paper the Cowboys are one of the best teams in the league. They have everything a championship team would want. Problem is the coaching staff. Specifically, Rod Marinelli and Jason Garrett. They will NEVER win with this staff.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I think "consistency" is an excellent choice of words. And the lack of consistency I continue to see from the Cowboys is exactly why I can't feel good about labeling them as "contenders" at this point.
What does that come down to? It’s not talent

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What does that come down to? It’s not talent

source.gif

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
consistency comes down to coaching they have to many penalities but no they are not serious contenders for the superbowl if they continue to have these slow starts they wont even make the playoffs

cowboygo

Reaction score
Finishing 11-5, we will probably not have a BYE, but the team will be considered strong. Anything less and we will be expected to be one and done in the playoffs. Lets worry first about wrapping up the division before talking about being a contender.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Well said.
Give me 3 wins in the next 3 games, and then beat a Bears teams like they should because of those wins. And then maybe, just maybe they will get that contender label. But I still fear the consistency part. It is just the way Garrett is.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well said.
Give me 3 wins in the next 3 games, and then beat a Bears teams like they should because of those wins. And then maybe, just maybe they will get that contender label. But I still fear the consistency part. It is just the way Garrett is.

Yeah, that's the way I'm looking at it. That 3-game losing streak did a lot of damage to my confidence in the team, and being the Jets' only win was like losing four games. It will take some time and consistent performances to regain my trust and faith. And Monday Night's spotty performance against the Giants didn't move the needle much in a positive direction.

Blitzen

Reaction score
The teams that can win with injuries are the contenders. Come playoff time, you're likely going to have some key injuries.

True. Like NO winning with Bridgewater (no slouch). They, SF, and kinda GB look like the real thing currently in the NFC. Though SF losing Kwon Alexander may disrupt them.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Consistency of performance regardless of opponent is the hallmark of a contender. Doesn’t mean you win every game, but contenders rarely lay an egg.

It’s still too early to tell if the Cowboys are contenders. As stated by several already in this thread, contenders are measured against good teams. So we will have multiple opportunities to show the world what kind of team it is. The back half of this schedule will be a complete revelation- contenders or pretenders? It will be fun.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
The teams that can win with injuries are the contenders. Come playoff time, you're likely going to have some key injuries.
We don't do that here. We just make excuses, act like other teams never get hurt, lament our terrible fate, and prepare the sales job for next season.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
I continue to believe on paper the Cowboys are one of the best teams in the league. They have everything a championship team would want. Problem is the coaching staff. Specifically, Rod Marinelli and Jason Garrett. They will NEVER win with this staff.
this right here!!!