Are the Cowboys just a better defense away from being contenders?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
So, the offense has not struggled in the first half of games the last couple of seasons? I have not denied the defense is a problem. I am saying that an offense that does not respond with scoring drives until the game is out of reach does not help matters. Dak was not winning games for Dallas when he was healthy last year. The Atlanta special teams was responsible for more Cowboy wins than Dak last season.

Ah, changing the goal posts are we? Now its "last couple of seasons".

I think the offense struggles at times in the beginning of games because they try to establish Zeke and the run and that is predictable and isnt effective anymore. Zeke is limited. However, since Moore has come in and more specifically, since Moore was able to do what he wanted without Garrett last year, the offense got even better. The further we allow the passing offense to be the focal point, the better this offense will be.

As far as Dak winning games, were going to go back to the same thing. Dak doesnt win game, teams do. And were losing because of the defense. Dak brought us back in every one of those games. And lets not forget we lost to 3 playoff teams.

Adreme

Reaction score
Ah, changing the goal posts are we? Now its "last couple of seasons".

I think the offense struggles at times in the beginning of games because they try to establish Zeke and the run and that is predictable and isnt effective anymore. Zeke is limited. However, since Moore has come in and more specifically, since Moore was able to do what he wanted without Garrett last year, the offense got even better. The further we allow the passing offense to be the focal point, the better this offense will be.

As far as Dak winning games, were going to go back to the same thing. Dak doesnt win game, teams do. And were losing because of the defense. Dak brought us back in every one of those games. And lets not forget we lost to 3 playoff teams.

I mean expecting an offense to score consistently and effortlessly every game is just not practical. The fact that the Cowboys have not won a game in which they did not score in over 2 seasons is staggering to me because sometimes you need to win a game 17-14. You are going to not score 30, even with a great offense, at least 1/3 of the time. They cannot all be losses.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I mean expecting an offense to score consistently and effortlessly every game is just not practical. The fact that the Cowboys have not won a game in which they did not score in over 2 seasons is staggering to me because sometimes you need to win a game 17-14. You are going to not score 30, even with a great offense, at least 1/3 of the time. They cannot all be losses.

Agreed. Offenses have off days, turnovers, and pay great defenses. Thats why they call it an average.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
If last year is any indication.......no question. The D will just have to be serviceable to win the division. Advancing from there will be all about Dak and the offense.

GroundZero1970

Reaction score
We had 29 players miss games last year of those 25 went to IR. No way those injuries happen like that again. Yes we will def be better. Those injuries PLUS Nolan being crappy had a ton to do with our crappy record.

visionary

Reaction score
We had a top offense last year with Dak and have secured our franchise QB and multiple weapons with a proven OL if it can stay healthy .

But what must improve is a defense which was statistically one of the worst in our franchise’s history

How much better does our defense need to be for this team to become more of a contender ? Will average be enough assuming our offense is top 5? Your thoughts !!

Nope

We are a better HC, QB, and defense away