Are the Cowboys misusing the 53 man roster?

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
As you all know, with the possibility of the Cowboys, mainly good ole wade phillips saying the cowboys might have brad johnson as 2nd string QB so he can be the holder for field goals, i was relooking at the roster.

We all know how wade hates to use backups or rookies or first year players, which in my mind is a big mistake because at some point the players must get experience. Just like last year, when romo was lighting up the NFL, did you see brad come in and mop up, or mcquistan or doug free get some extra snaps, no.

So, are we misusing the 53 man roster, at the bottom of the roster mainly?

Here is a list of players that I think are being misused and not used enough.
Joe Berger G 6-5 304
Quincy Butler CB 6-1 185
Montrae Holland OG 6-2 322
Brad Johnson as you know
Isaiah Stanback WR 6-2 208
Doug Free OT 6-6 318
Pat McQuistan 6-6 322
Practice Squad
18 Amendola, Danny WR 5-11 183 R Texas Tech
30 Coleman, Alonzo RB 5-9 202 1 Hampton
39 Crosslin, Julius FB 5-11 245 R Oklahoma State
92 Dixon, Marcus DE 6-4 294 R Hampton
59 George, Tearrius LB 6-4 270 2 Kansas State
62 Gibbons, Ryan G 6-4 318 1 Northeastern
44 Hannah, Rodney TE 6-6 255 R Houston
00 Wilson, Travis WR 6-1 213 3 Oklahoma
:bang2: :banghead:

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
To back up this point, not sure if you heard it or not, but wade was asked the question why dont you use choice the runnning back more, wade said, i just dont feel comfortable with him. Heck, how can you feel uncomfortable with him if you dont play him more, when choice did play in one game a few weeks ago, he did pretty decent.

And we all know how you said you wouldnt put Felix Jones on kickoffs because you felt uncomfortable, but when you were forced to after austin got hurt, Felix Jones lit up the NFL on kickoffs,

Probably why you dont feel comfortable with these young players good ole wade, you dont practice with them enough in training camp and during the week, since you give them all these extra days off, like the loss to arizona, you gave the cowboys monday and tuesday off, and then the bye week. Heck, if you dont play them, how in the world can they get experience, dumb stupid hard headed ole wade.

MONT17

Reaction score
Don't worry wade is gone unless he wins a Super Bowl! Best that u can hope for is to die in ur sleep. -Kenny Rogers

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
yeah im just hoping Mont, that wade is gone after this year no matter what;

at same time, i was hoping this, we all know how jerry jones does thing, sometimes possibly meddle. I was hoping that after wade gets released after this year, wade would tell the media why he was fired or let go, and then we would know what jerry jones is doing, and if indeed he is meddling, then jerry would after the media is let known what is actually going on, then jerry would have to back down and get another great coach like cowher (although I dont like him) or maybe spagnola giants defensive coordinator, or leach. a good young head coach to lead this team for awhile, kinda like andy reid or gruden, or fisher, a good young head coach to take over, especially after jerry jones turns things over to his son stephen.

rangers71

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2415778 said:
As you all know, with the possibility of the Cowboys, mainly good ole wade phillips saying the cowboys might have brad johnson as 2nd string QB so he can be the holder for field goals, i was relooking at the roster.

We all know how wade hates to use backups or rookies or first year players, which in my mind is a big mistake because at some point the players must get experience. Just like last year, when romo was lighting up the NFL, did you see brad come in and mop up, or mcquistan or doug free get some extra snaps, no.

So, are we misusing the 53 man roster, at the bottom of the roster mainly?

Here is a list of players that I think are being misused and not used enough.
Joe Berger G 6-5 304
Quincy Butler CB 6-1 185
Brad Johnson as you know
Doug Free OT 6-6 318
Pat McQuistan 6-6 322
Practice Squad
18 Amendola, Danny WR 5-11 183 R Texas Tech
30 Coleman, Alonzo RB 5-9 202 1 Hampton
39 Crosslin, Julius FB 5-11 245 R Oklahoma State
92 Dixon, Marcus DE 6-4 294 R Hampton
59 George, Tearrius LB 6-4 270 2 Kansas State
62 Gibbons, Ryan G 6-4 318 1 Northeastern
44 Hannah, Rodney TE 6-6 255 R Houston
00 Wilson, Travis WR 6-1 213 3 Oklahoma
:bang2: :banghead:

So you honestly think that all these guys should have had serious meaningful playing time? You know these guys are on the practice squad for a reason right?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
rangers71;2415880 said:
So you honestly think that all these guys should have had serious meaningful playing time? You know these guys are on the practice squad for a reason right?

No. They just want to post and complain. The ViPeR club.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jobberone;2415897 said:

Yeah, sitting pretty at 5-4, what does anyone have to complain about?

:confused:

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
I don't know why Wade (and a lot of other HCs) is so in love with having a QB as the holder, especially an ancient guy like Johnson. Back in the day, Safety Charlie Waters was the holder. Jay Novacek was the holder for a while I believe. We've also had the punter as the holder on a number of occasions.

Why not have Patrick Crayton be the holder? He is active for each game and could actually run with the ball if it was a bad snap. How about Scandrick?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
stasheroo;2415904 said:
Yeah, sitting pretty at 5-4, what does anyone have to complain about?

:confused:

Stupid complaints. Or complaints where no one has thought about consequences. I like the everyone sucks the best. Genius. Although I confess to loving the fire them all, too.

Off with their heads. All of them. And take the rest out back and beat the crap out of 'em.

links18

Reaction score
Perhaps we should move Tearrius George up to the game day roster. He had what 4 sacks in a row in the preseason? Need to do something to get more pressure coming from someone other than Ware and Ratliff.....

rangers71

Reaction score
jobberone;2415897 said:

No one said their is nothing to complain about, but to ***** because the practice squad isn't playing is dumb.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
rangers71;2415928 said:
No one said their is nothing to complain about, but to ***** because the practice squad isn't playing is dumb.

Those are exactly my thoughts. I don't mind complaining. But do it well and with thought.

Deep_South

Reaction score
The reason Wade doesn't feel comfortable with Choice is either he can't pick up his blocking assignments or he fumbles too much. We know he can run the ball pretty good.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
I was bringing up the practice squad, maybe a player or 2 could help the cowboys from there

But I also posted about these players not getting any significant time;
Joe Berger G 6-5 304
Quincy Butler CB 6-1 185
Brad Johnson as you know
Doug Free OT 6-6 318
Pat McQuistan 6-6 322

If you dont play the players, how can they get experience, like I was pointing to Holland, McQuistan, Free, and Berger, which the only offensive linemen that was playing was Holland, and that was very lightly.

We all know for instance Flozell has been hurt, and some players got hurt due to flozells playing too in the arizona game. I am not saying that flozell injured these players, but we all saw how flozell couldnt pass block, and romo was getting killed in the arizona game. Eventually due to lack of offensive line play, mcbrair got hurt too.

If the cowboys are saying that McQuistain, Free, Berger and Holland cant play and arent any good, fine, get someone else, turn that roster over till you get a promising offensive linemen, but for gosh sakes, dont let them just sit on the 53 man roster and take up space.

Thats what I am pointing too, is our coaching staff actually doing their job by getting these guys ready, or is good ole wade too stubborn to put in a player when someone like flozell is hurt, and hurting.

Thats what i am pointing to.

MrMom

Reaction score
cowboyjoe, says, consider, youselves sucked...,,,.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Concerning brad johnson, when the cowboys were winning big last year, if the cowboys had done their job and put in brad johnson then, they would have seen that he was too old and couldnt get the job done. Just like last year, the cowboys were winning big, did you see Doug Free or McQuistan come into the game to get some playing time. No!

So, I am saying, that goes back to the head coach and putting in players when you have a chance, and getting them ready. Thats what the Giants did last year, they put in some younger secondary players, and they put in some backup offensive linemen, but no, we dont do that, thats what im saying.

You need to get your whole team ready for if a player does get hurt, then your backup is ready. Granted, we didnt have any real big games by winning big like we did last year, but we had some chances last year to get Free, McQuistan, Berger in some games and get them ready, but we didnt, and we had chances to get and look at brad johnson ready, but we didnt or to see if brad could do the job.

To me the coaching staff decisions are way inept to a large degree this year, no creativity, no other offensive game plan packages, etc. Thats what i am questioning.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
THUMPER;2415915 said:
I don't know why Wade (and a lot of other HCs) is so in love with having a QB as the holder, especially an ancient guy like Johnson. Back in the day, Safety Charlie Waters was the holder. Jay Novacek was the holder for a while I believe. We've also had the punter as the holder on a number of occasions.

Why not have Patrick Crayton be the holder? He is active for each game and could actually run with the ball if it was a bad snap. How about Scandrick?

They had Crayton and The Punter working as the holder this week, neither were competent enough at this time, Even Parcells yanked Crayton from holding duties once upon a time

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
rangers71;2415928 said:

Especially considering in order to call up the entire practice squad means you have to cut 8 players from your roster. Plus show mne a team in the NFL that rotates OLinemen during a game. Just another dumb thread

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2415954 said:
I was bringing up the practice squad, maybe a player or 2 could help the cowboys from there

But I also posted about these players not getting any significant time;
Joe Berger G 6-5 304
Quincy Butler CB 6-1 185
Brad Johnson as you know
Doug Free OT 6-6 318
Pat McQuistan 6-6 322

If you dont play the players, how can they get experience, like I was pointing to Holland, McQuistan, Free, and Berger, which the only offensive linemen that was playing was Holland, and that was very lightly.

We all know for instance Flozell has been hurt, and some players got hurt due to flozells playing too in the arizona game. I am not saying that flozell injured these players, but we all saw how flozell couldnt pass block, and romo was getting killed in the arizona game. Eventually due to lack of offensive line play, mcbrair got hurt too.

If the cowboys are saying that McQuistain, Free, Berger and Holland cant play and arent any good, fine, get someone else, turn that roster over till you get a promising offensive linemen, but for gosh sakes, dont let them just sit on the 53 man roster and take up space.

Thats what I am pointing too, is our coaching staff actually doing their job by getting these guys ready, or is good ole wade too stubborn to put in a player when someone like flozell is hurt, and hurting.

Thats what i am pointing to.

Assuming you are serious about this let me respond.

It takes only one play to destroy a season. TC or Berger screw up a block and Romo gets hurt for the year or even his career. That's one big reason. Not counting cutting roster spots to put PS players on the team for the necessary three games.

Too much. How about lose the game with that one play. Or series of plays.

You play the best players who also play the best as a team.

You put players in the game to rest your starters and see what you have when a game is well in hand. And you have to find a way to do that judicously if you're trying to see what a player has. Wholesale changes aren't any better than preseason either.

Do you think the coaches on the team are capable of evaluating the talent(s) of each player on the team?