News: Are the Cowboys trying to motivate Miles Austin thru the media?

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
Or are they giving him a reality check? First there is mention of players playing through more significant injuries:
The toughness of NFL players is legendary.

They have played with broken fingers, broken hands and concussions. Emmitt Smith played with a separated shoulder and Tony Romo with cracked ribs. Hall of Famer Jack Youngblood once played a Super Bowl on a broken leg and Philip Rivers an AFC title game with torn knee ligaments.
Then he dispelled the old adage that you don't lose your job due to injury:
It’s about courage — and perhaps a small sliver of insecurity. If you leave the field, you leave your post. A talented player will step in, and you may not have a job when you come back. Ask Drew Bledsoe, a Pro Bowl quarterback whose chest injury in 2001 spawned the legend of Tom Brady.

Miles Austin has left his post.
Then he puts in print what many Zoners have said about the trio of Dez, T-Will and Beasley:
Dez Bryant has long since replaced Austin as Romo’s favorite target. With touchdowns in three consecutive games, rookie Terrance Williams has replaced Austin splendidly on the flank. With five first-down-producing receptions over the last two weeks, Cole Beasley has replaced Austin in the slot.

All three are younger, cheaper options. Austin has become dispensable.

More at LINK. Miles days as a Cowboy are numbered. Kind of sad because he was on the verge of being elite just 3 years ago. NFL really does mean Not For Long.

TTexasTT

Reaction score
Say what you want about Miles. I dont think he needs motivation. Hes lost a bit of what made him so successful bc of age and injuries. I highly doubt its from lack of motivation. Atleast for this year, he has a role on this team and I hope, and suspect he will, start to give more production.
Austin is a true pro and from what Ive seen, a very classy team player. He doesnt need any motivation.

cannonball44

Stephen Peterman's Campaign Manager
Reaction score
I remember the debates over whether Miles Austin was a top 10 receiver or not.

Boy, how time has changed.

Wood

Reaction score
I really think Dallas wants longer look at TJ and Coale. As we have seen in past sometimes younger player (especially rookies) will tail off at end which would make perfect timing for Miles to come back for playoff push.

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
Say what you want about Miles. I dont think he needs motivation. Hes lost a bit of what made him so successful bc of age and injuries. I highly doubt its from lack of motivation. Atleast for this year, he has a role on this team and I hope, and suspect he will, start to give more production.
Austin is a true pro and from what Ive seen, a very classy team player. He doesnt need any motivation.

Couldn't have said it better.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score

If a WR goes down watch how fast everyone starts licking his.... Shoes...

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Right now Austin is probably the sixth best WR on the Cowboys. Bryant, Williams, Harris, Beasley, PS guy, and then Austin. The Cowboys could get more production from WRs Armstrong or Green than Miles Austin.

If it weren't for that cap-killing contract with the accelerated bonus, Miles would have been cut in camp.

I'd rather have any WR drafted in the first 4 rounds of the 2014 draft than Miles Austin at this juncture.

Fredd

Reaction score
I am not giving up on the guy just yet...if, IF mind you, he can actually get back on the field, he is still our 2nd best WR...but, Williams is about ready to pass him...

Austin can be like a mid-season trade if he can come back and contribute...more weapons please!

blackbull

Reaction score
Right now Austin is probably the sixth best WR on the Cowboys. Bryant, Williams, Harris, Beasley, PS guy, and then Austin. The Cowboys could get more production from WRs Armstrong or Green than Miles Austin.

If it weren't for that cap-killing contract with the accelerated bonus, Miles would have been cut in camp.

I'd rather have any WR drafted in the first 4 rounds of the 2014 draft than Miles Austin at this juncture.

That last line...........Fact alert

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
I am not giving up on the guy just yet...if, IF mind you, he can actually get back on the field, he is still our 2nd best WR...but, Williams is about ready to pass him...

Austin can be like a mid-season trade if he can come back and contribute...more weapons please!

Williams has already passed miles and is about to lap him. And Beasley is better than miles in the slot. But miles is good depth and we might need him later.

Fredd

Reaction score
if miles wasn't hurt, I would agree with you...if healthy, he is better than Williams and Cole

TTexasTT

Reaction score
if miles wasn't hurt, I would agree with you...if healthy, he is better than Williams and Cole

its unfortunate how quickly a couple of good games for a rookie vault him into favor over a guys that produced for the team for several years.
The days of 2009 production are behind him but to say an unproven guys are better suited so quickly seems unfair. I feel that some are to quickly to discount how talented this man really is. I understand that this is the NFL and loyalty doesnt get teams to goals and its all about the bottom line.

I understand that it may not sound right to most fellow fans wont agree but I still think of Austin as this teams #2 WR. IMO Williams is a rookie #3 that is exceeding expectations. Beasley is nice change of pace for the offense and a complete luxury to have.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Right now, as in while he's injured? Then, I agree that Dez, Williams, Beasley and Harris are better.

If you're talking about when he's healthy, then you need to just go back and watch the Giants' game. The guy has an incredible burst out of his breaks when healthy.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
One injury, two injury,.....you get the point. Dallas needs all its depth to be successful. In fact most teams do. There was a splendid conversation today on one of the sports networks with Chris

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score

I was wondering who was going to win the award for the dumbest post today.

In "unrelated" news, that mystery has been solved!

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
So much hate for a guy who CLEARLY wasn't 100% the last few games.

He looked rejuvenated in the pre-season.

Let him get healthy.