Are we over thinking guard?

tm1119

Reaction score
Top 16 paid guards in the league + Q and where they were drafted.

Scherff- 5th overall
Bitinio- 75th
Thuney- 78th
Teller- 77th
Brooks (retired)- 76th
Martin- 16th
Tomlinson- 28th
Peat- 13th
Glasgow- 95th
Vaitai- 164th
Mason- 131st
Cappa- 94th
Zeitler- 27th
G. Jackson- 81st
Q. Nelson- 6th
Pugh- 19th
Corbett- 33rd

9 out of 17 drafted 75th or later
5 out of remaining 8 drafted top 20
Zeitler, Tomlinson, and Corbett as the outliers drafted in the late 1st/early 2nd.

Good guards are regularly drafted beyond the top 50 picks and I see a plethora of options in this draft that have a good shot at being good starters.
Salyer, Goedeke, Hayes, Rhyan, Ezeudu, Ingram, Bruss, Parham, Strange, Tom, and I’m sure others will add more they like…

Find the best hardworking kid that is coachable and don’t overthink the difficulty of filling a non-premium position.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Scherff- 5th overall
Bitinio- 75th
Thuney- 78th
Teller- 77th
Brooks (retired)- 76th
Martin- 16th
Tomlinson- 28th
Peat- 13th
Glasgow- 95th
Vaitai- 164th
Mason- 131st
Cappa- 94th
Zeitler- 27th
G. Jackson- 81st
Q. Nelson- 6th
Pugh- 19th
Corbett- 33rd

Zeitler, Tomlinson, and Corbett as the outliers drafted in the late 1st/early 2nd.

Good guards are regularly drafted beyond the top 50 picks and I see a plethora of options in this draft that have a good shot at being good starters.
Salyer, Goedeke, Hayes, Rhyan, Ezeudu, Ingram, Bruss, Parham, Strange, Tom, and I’m sure others will add more they like…

Find the best hardworking kid that is coachable and don’t overthink the difficulty of filling a non-premium position.
I think there is alot of anxiety about our ability to draft day 2 guys right now with Green and the Conners

fivetwos

Reaction score
Guard looks like the safest pick per what's likely to happen before pick 24.

Pretty sure that's how we play it now across the board.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
When was the last time we drafted a good OL outside round 3? Doug Free?

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Scherff- 5th overall
Bitinio- 75th
Thuney- 78th
Teller- 77th
Brooks (retired)- 76th
Martin- 16th
Tomlinson- 28th
Peat- 13th
Glasgow- 95th
Vaitai- 164th
Mason- 131st
Cappa- 94th
Zeitler- 27th
G. Jackson- 81st
Q. Nelson- 6th
Pugh- 19th
Corbett- 33rd

This biggest issues are the team's inability to run the football even against light boxes and not being mentally tough when committing self induced penalties on a consistent basis.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Scherff- 5th overall
Bitinio- 75th
Thuney- 78th
Teller- 77th
Brooks (retired)- 76th
Martin- 16th
Tomlinson- 28th
Peat- 13th
Glasgow- 95th
Vaitai- 164th
Mason- 131st
Cappa- 94th
Zeitler- 27th
G. Jackson- 81st
Q. Nelson- 6th
Pugh- 19th
Corbett- 33rd

I would only draft an OG in the 1st if he projects to have the ability to play OC or LT.
- The exception is if he is the closest thing to a guaranteed All Pro as it gets in the draft (Z.M.).

Zion Johnson looks the the perfect OC to me. He seems tailor made for that position.
- He is a very safe pick as an OG.

Tyler Smith, in my opinion, is actually a relatively safe pick at OG.
- He would be a huge risk if drafted as a LT; however, he has the potential to become an elite LT.

I don't think the Cowboys will draft a Guard-only type in the 1st.
- I'm less optimistic about Green playing anything other than OG.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Guard looks like the safest pick per what's likely to happen before pick 24.

Pretty sure that's how we play it now across the board.

The problem is that Guard is the safe pick at any point in the draft.
- The option in the last first is usually the 5th or 6th OT or the 1st or 2nd rated OG (Same concept if you replace OT with pass rusher, CB, etc..).
- That concept continues throughout the draft.

In other words, if you literally picked BPA, you could end up picking OG in all rounds.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The problem is that Guard is the safe pick at any point in the draft.
- The option in the last first is usually the 5th or 6th OT or the 1st or 2nd rated OG (Same concept if you replace OT with pass rusher, CB, etc..).
- That concept continues throughout the draft.

In other words, if you literally picked BPA, you could end up picking OG in all rounds.
I appreciate that concept and I get it if you're talking in terms of overall value at any given point in the draft.

If you're looking for a starter at LG, and I very much suspect they are, better shot at finding that in round one than in round five, no?

kskboys

Reaction score
I think there is alot of anxiety about our ability to draft day 2 guys right now with Green and the Conners
It all comes down to philosophy. Our past philosophy was to get guys w/ light feet. We focused so much on this one trait that we ignored their ability to control the LOS. And also ignored whether a player was prone to injury, which is a huge factor in drafting.

kskboys

Reaction score

Scherff- 5th overall
Bitinio- 75th
Thuney- 78th
Teller- 77th
Brooks (retired)- 76th
Martin- 16th
Tomlinson- 28th
Peat- 13th
Glasgow- 95th
Vaitai- 164th
Mason- 131st
Cappa- 94th
Zeitler- 27th
G. Jackson- 81st
Q. Nelson- 6th
Pugh- 19th
Corbett- 33rd

Outside from a few examples, OG's shouldn't be drafted before the 2nd.

Scherff was drafted as an OT, BTW. Martin was also an OT in college.

kskboys

Reaction score
I would only draft an OG in the 1st if he projects to have the ability to play OC or LT.
- The exception is if he is the closest thing to a guaranteed All Pro as it gets in the draft (Z.M.).

Zion Johnson looks the the perfect OC to me. He seems tailor made for that position.
- He is a very safe pick as an OG.

Tyler Smith, in my opinion, is actually a relatively safe pick at OG.
- He would be a huge risk if drafted as a LT; however, he has the potential to become an elite LT.

I don't think the Cowboys will draft a Guard-only type in the 1st.
- I'm less optimistic about Green playing anything other than OG.
Martin could play OLT, I have no doubt, and he'd be decent there.

Larry Allen was a pro bowl OLT one season.

tm1119

Reaction score
I want an OL that can blow people off the ball. No more undersized lineman.

What’s your version of “undersized”? Because a good chunk of the 17 best guards in the OP weighed in under 310 at the combine…including Zack Martin

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score

Scherff- 5th overall
Bitinio- 75th
Thuney- 78th
Teller- 77th
Brooks (retired)- 76th
Martin- 16th
Tomlinson- 28th
Peat- 13th
Glasgow- 95th
Vaitai- 164th
Mason- 131st
Cappa- 94th
Zeitler- 27th
G. Jackson- 81st
Q. Nelson- 6th
Pugh- 19th
Corbett- 33rd

There are 2 high level plug and play guards, Johnson and Green. If you want one then use 24. If you are OK drafting a guard that may need a year or 2 in an NFL strength training program, or may be as good as Connor Williams was, then don’t use 24 on a guard.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
What’s your version of “undersized”? Because a good chunk of the 17 best guards in the OP weighed in under 310 at the combine…including Zack Martin

williams, Connor

kumizi

Reaction score
What about the Cowboys recent track record with Conner Williams, Biadasz, and McGovern?

If the Cowboys consider those picks as failures, which I think they do, I think Kenyon or Zion are the pick.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

Scherff- 5th overall
Bitinio- 75th
Thuney- 78th
Teller- 77th
Brooks (retired)- 76th
Martin- 16th
Tomlinson- 28th
Peat- 13th
Glasgow- 95th
Vaitai- 164th
Mason- 131st
Cappa- 94th
Zeitler- 27th
G. Jackson- 81st
Q. Nelson- 6th
Pugh- 19th
Corbett- 33rd

Most of us on the board don’t believe the Cowboys should just draft a guard at 24. The Cowboys should do what has made them successful in the last two drafts. We all remember the last time we reached for a need in the first round and his name is Taco.:omg::facepalm:

Reactions: BAT

kskboys

Reaction score
I know what he means. Not undersized so much as having a poor anchor and/or core strength.