Are we settling into the McCarthy offense?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I know there have been concerns about the offensive switch from Moore to McCarthy, and with some good reasons in the first part of the season. But it appears to me that we're starting to find our offensive identity in this reconfigured scheme. It seems we've gone from get the ball out as fast as possible to get the ball to our playmakers and if that's not possible, then get the ball out as fast as possible. There's a comfort level that's starting to be established IMO.

There's still work to be done, especially regarding the running game, but it seems like some things are clicking that weren't there at the start of the season.

shabazz

Reaction score
We were under the impression that Kellen Moore was removed because he was pass happy.

Now MM is throwing with wild abandon..... and the running game's been abandoned.

What is the identity, Indeed.?

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
We were under the impression that Kellen Moore was removed because he was pass happy.

Now MM is throwing with wild abandon..... and the running game's been abandoned.

The identity - like every good offense - is throwing the football and straining defense on early downs, instead of just trying to convert on third and long over and over.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
I know there have been concerns about the offensive switch from Moore to McCarthy, and with some good reasons in the first part of the season. But it appears to me that we're starting to find our offensive identity in this reconfigured scheme. It seems we've gone from get the ball out as fast as possible to get the ball to our playmakers and if that's not possible, then get the ball out as fast as possible. There's a comfort level that's starting to be established IMO.

There's still work to be done, especially regarding the running game, but it seems like some things are clicking that weren't there at the start of the season.
There are times Chris Collinsworth comes across as sounding like your goofy drunken uncle, but in the midst of our niners butt-kicking, he commented that the Cowboys haven’t implemented the complete offense just yet (still somewhat new to the team) and that the complete picture of what it is to look like won’t be complete for weeks. At the time, I thought he was just filling airtime and politely giving the Cowboys an out for their putrid performance. Perhaps drunken uncle was knowingly, or unknowingly, on to something.

I know MM wanted to feature the run game more than it has been thus far, but I’m going to give him credit from straying away from it when it’s just not working in games. By all means, work your tails off to get better through the week but let’s continue NOT hurling ourselves into wall during games just cuz we think we should. Run what works.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score

This isn’t his offense that he had in GB, it’s his no running game offense :muttley:
The problem is in GB he had an OL which could run block , where as in Dallas this line is no good run blocking , may be it is because of Biadaz and aged Martin or Solari scheme , whatever.

gimmesix

Reaction score

I don't think that was why Moore was removed. Here's what McCarthy said earlier this year to clarify his comments about wanting to run more:

“Well I’ll say this. I think the quote was more towards the change from 2020 to 2021. I think if you look at running attempts I think we’ll be similar to between ‘21 and ‘22. At the end of the day it’s about getting the ball distributed to your perimeter players. Obviously a big part of our offense the last two years primarily with Zeke and Tony, so that part of it is going to be different. We really wanted to build off what we established, I liked the run game particularly last year. Last two years. So we thought we just need to improve some things. I think the biggest difference for us will be more protection and in the pass game.”

gimmesix

Reaction score
There are times Chris Collinsworth comes across as sounding like your goofy drunken uncle, but in the midst of our niners butt-kicking, he commented that the Cowboys haven’t implemented the complete offense just yet (still somewhat new to the team) and that the complete picture of what it is to look like won’t be complete for weeks. At the time, I thought he was just filling airtime and politely giving the Cowboys an out for their putrid performance. Perhaps drunken uncle was knowingly, or unknowingly, on to something.

I know MM wanted to feature the run game more than it has been thus far, but I’m going to give him credit from straying away from it when it’s just not working in games. By all means, work your tails off to get better through the week but let’s continue NOT hurling ourselves into wall during games just cuz we think we should. Run what works.
I think he equates the short passing game with the run game. The trouble earlier in the season is that we were relying too much on the short passing game and not getting the ball downfield IMO.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
I just don't get why it's taking so long to like like a functional, high powered offense that utilizes the strengths of its personnel? Has it taken us this long to figure out how to use Cooks? Happy we're now clicking but still a bit confused.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score

Moore was removed because he ran the same routes over and over and had questionable play calls in critical situations. Was too predictable

Dallas would get up a couple scores and teams would come back.... Because of Moore. That hasn't happened this year.

Also Moore would get too cute at times.

McCarthy has shown to adjust. They tried to run a few times yesterday and it didn't work. They used the pass to set up the run, which I feel they should have ran more in the second half after it was starting to work

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

If the “identity” involves 30+ ppg, I can live with it.

I think the time had come to just move on from KM just to try something new, not necessarily because he was doing a bad job.

glimmerman

Reaction score
It works fine when we can get passed us starting Pollard running in the middle and Dak using his legs early on against lesser teams. When we play good teams and volley back and forth for the first quarter and things settle in then we need a complete game on all phases to stay in the game. We saw egirls game. The penalties cost us big time.

Mark

Reaction score

We have very different personnel at skill positions (RB & WR, in particular) than last year. A "different" QB, too, when you consider the fact that Dak's now not hesitating to threaten opposing defenses with voluntary mobility. Definitely a new & better man than "statue-Dak" in that regard.

I'm delighted to rely on an offense "by committee," where the aim is to squeeze production from everyone on the roster, regardless of their position in a salary hierarchy utterly-irrelevant to what should be an on-field meritocracy focused on winning rather than politics.

glimmerman

Reaction score
He better adjust to a running attack that works

One dimensional offenses have a short shelf life in the NFL
We would need JJ to allow us to start running with a more physical RB up the middle. Try running Dowdle early and mixing Pollard in. But JJ wants his money starting.. We are starting the game with a stumbling block.

conner01

Reaction score
He better adjust to a running attack that works

One dimensional offenses have a short shelf life in the NFL
They have to get run game going. They did a solid job yesterday but if you can’t run it hurts your pass attack since you face deep safeties all day.

DCwarrior

Reaction score
I think playing the Giants had alot to do with why we looked so good. Hopefully it gets us in a groove and we can continue it coming out of the game.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

There was no running game to abandon. Stay away from the game day thread and watch the games.

Adreme

Reaction score

That it took MM 5 weeks to realize the running game is terrible and to lean on the passing game… aka the same offense as last year.