Are we settling into the McCarthy offense?

Zman5

Reaction score
We were under the impression that Kellen Moore was removed because he was pass happy.

Now MM is throwing with wild abandon..... and the running game's been abandoned.

What is the identity, Indeed.?

It had more to do with situational play calling. MM probably got sick of Kellen calling a pass play with an empty set on 3rd and 2. Especially against a good defensive team like the 49ers.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think playing the Giants had alot to do with why we looked so good. Hopefully it gets us in a groove and we can continue it coming out of the game.
We're the only team to score in the 40s against the Giants this year (and we've done it twice ... although the first game was because of our defense scoring). Not a great defense, but not as bad as we made them look.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I know there have been concerns about the offensive switch from Moore to McCarthy, and with some good reasons in the first part of the season. But it appears to me that we're starting to find our offensive identity in this reconfigured scheme. It seems we've gone from get the ball out as fast as possible to get the ball to our playmakers and if that's not possible, then get the ball out as fast as possible. There's a comfort level that's starting to be established IMO.

There's still work to be done, especially regarding the running game, but it seems like some things are clicking that weren't there at the start of the season.
To me he has opened it up and gone downfield more than the first few games. I don't know if that is play design or Dak being more comfortable.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
September is really just extended preseason, team still learning about itself and it was made worse by OL injuries.
October identity started to show and we hit the buzzsaw that was the 49ers.

Since then, the team has realized a) it cannot run the ball at will and b) we are better geared at intermediate passing than short passing.

Honestly, much as I would LOVE to establish the run...time to move on. THis is a passing offense, full stop, and needs to be in attack mode, not conservative mode. Let dak cook.

Mr_437

Reaction score
McCarthy isn't trying to fix the run because this Offense is pass happy just like he likes it.

"Get a RB? We don't need no stinking RB" - Mike McCarthy

DallasInDC

Reaction score
I know there have been concerns about the offensive switch from Moore to McCarthy, and with some good reasons in the first part of the season. But it appears to me that we're starting to find our offensive identity in this reconfigured scheme. It seems we've gone from get the ball out as fast as possible to get the ball to our playmakers and if that's not possible, then get the ball out as fast as possible. There's a comfort level that's starting to be established IMO.

There's still work to be done, especially regarding the running game, but it seems like some things are clicking that weren't there at the start of the season.
I think MM is settling in to adapting to what the offense does well. This offense is much different from the offense they started the season with.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I think MM is settling in to adapting to what the offense does well. This offense is much different from the offense they started the season with.
Agree.. We have seen the playbook growing incrementally each game. But the biggest difference I think has nothing to do with McCarthy, the playbook, the running game or any of that. The biggest difference is Dak settling back into "I'm a football player" mode. His willingness to continue to force defenses to account for him as a runner has been huge. As I have said many times, when the QB comes out and threatens the defense it keeps the linebackers from bailing into coverage a tick longer which opens up the intermediate passing lanes and gives cleaner looks to the QB. Especially on designed boots and improvised scrambles. Things that get him out of the pocket and thus out of harm's way and out of having to look over 6'5" and 6'6" guys in front of him both on his line and on the d-line with their arms outstretched.

75boyz

Reaction score
I wont believe in McCarthy until a consistent, complimentary and effective run game is established.

And even then I will be highly skeptical.

To witness the dynamic duo that is McCheese and Sleepnumber go on a 3 to 4 game playoff run is something I doubt but would gladly welcome a crow eating party if proven wrong.

Just my opinion.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
It had more to do with situational play calling. MM probably got sick of Kellen calling a pass play with an empty set on 3rd and 2. Especially against a good defensive team like the 49ers.
Oh I bet he, like most of us, had about all he could take of the 5 wide empty backfield looks on 1st and goal with the best short yardage and goal line runner in the league on your team.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I wont believe in McCarthy until a consistent, complimentary and effective run game is established.

And even then I will be highly skeptical.

To witness the dynamic duo that is McCheese and Sleepnumber go on a 3 to 4 game playoff run is something I doubt but would gladly welcome a crow eating party if proven wrong.

Just my opinion.
While it's fair to hold one's heart in reserve until we see it in the playoffs I am not about to allow that to rob me of the joy from watching my team perform on Sundays. After all these are the games that they have to win just to have the CHANCE to do anything in the playoffs.