Are we sure Ferguson can’t be a star?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
True. But not because of Ferguson. They had no idea who they might get. So he is not the reason they didn't negotiate. And he is on a one year deal so depending on how Ferguson will work out. Schultz is not a fan favorite,. Doesn't sell a lot of jerseys so I doubt if he gets resigned. The Jones family hands out contracts based on jersey sales.
All true. I still feel Schultz should be resigned for 3-4 years. He's pretty good and has proven he deserves a nice little new contract. Not overpaid but good enough to satisfy both parties.

Jake Ferguson has the skillset to become a very good TE for the Cowboys, but he has to work hard and prove it on the field. That should take him a year or two. So, for the meantime, we need to keep Schultz.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Has less to do about him and more how we use the position in this offense. They are the safety net here, rarely used for going deep or up the seams. Just like Schultz it'll be mostly easy routes so Dak can get the ball out when the WR's are covered. Maybe they'll use both these guys more and 1 can go down field a bit more. I'll believe it when I see it.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Ferguson ran a sluggish 5.39 forty at the Combine.

Putting him in a star category at this point appears a real stretch.
Let's just pray for a winner, and hope for the best, before getting carried away!:thumbup:

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Blocking is not secondary when you have a QB that needs 100 yards on the ground to win. Blake Bell would be a better fit for this team.
ok, you spun this into a Dak bash thread. tried to be clever and wasn't.

the original comments was the blocking TE is not the solution to problems in the running game. it still stands...Blake Bell couldn't fix the run game for this team, when you had Williams and Biadasz getting pushed into the back field constantly.

come on dude. you are diverting now.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
All true. I still feel Schultz should be resigned for 3-4 years. He's pretty good and has proven he deserves a nice little new contract. Not overpaid but good enough to satisfy both parties.

Jake Ferguson has the skillset to become a very good TE for the Cowboys, but he has to work hard and prove it on the field. That should take him a year or two. So, for the meantime, we need to keep Schultz.
I wouldn't mind if we sign him to a reasonable contract. all player contracts are about to blow upwards in the next couple of years and any contracts handed out today would pale in comparison. the fans mindset will take time to adjust.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
ok, you spun this into a Dak bash thread. tried to be clever and wasn't.

the original comments was the blocking TE is not the solution to problems in the running game. it still stands...Blake Bell couldn't fix the run game for this team, when you had Williams and Biadasz getting pushed into the back field constantly.

come on dude. you are diverting now.
I know, one person is not the answer. But the stats say Dak needs this team to be balanced. So I'm not bashing Dak, I'm bashing the front office. They are the ones who have not put a proper team around Dak to assure we perform our best. I would personally pick and put natural run blockers at every position. So I wanted an OT in the second for this very reason.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
You lost the argument when you claimed Wydermeyer was an uber athlete.
I said Woods was the freak atheletic te and Wydermymer had some good skillsets as a receiving te. Good enough for an undrafted flyer pic and red zone threat in a Te by committee system.

This checkdown te system we use is mediocre between the 20's when defenses will give ya short checkdown passes. But in the red zone it's trash because you have no 50/50 skillsets. 2 tds against non division opponents in 12 games was a big indication of what the DEFENSE WONT GIVE YA js

Who couldn't be better than McKeon and Sprinkle from day 1 ??? Ha ha ha

Dak needs sauce at te. Not a bunch of safety valves drawing containment zone coverage why the Good wrs are being doubled up. Lol.

If you're digging in the bottom of the Pickle Barrell lol might as well grab some guys who can go up and get a ball and score against man to man coverage.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ferguson ran a sluggish 5.39 forty at the Combine.

Putting him in a star category at this point appears a real stretch.
Let's just pray for a winner, and hope for the best, before getting carried away!:thumbup:
No, he ran a 4.81 forty at the combine and 4.77 at his Pro Day.

10-yard times
Ferguson: 1.61
Trey McBride: 1.60

Ferguson had the 3rd best 3-cone (7.03) of the TEs drafted ahead of him (McBride didn't participate. Woods had the best with 6.95).

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Ferguson looks like a less athletic Jarwin to me and he’ll never have a big role once Schultz is paid.

I think the hope is that Ferguson looks good enough that we don't pay Schultz. Wave him goodbye and take the comp pick.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

10-yard times

Ferguson had the 3rd best 3-cone (7.03) of the TEs drafted ahead of him (McBride didn't participate. Woods had the best with 6.95).

The latter times are more relevant than his 40 times. And they look good.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

10-yard times

Thanks, my bad -- I got my info from a search engine that was grossly in error. Wish I could recall which one but it eludes me. They were way, way off, obviously. Sorry for that boo-boo. I'm relieved to hear it wasn't that bad. There are some 300-lb. linemen that do it better than 5.39. Forty times of 4.81 and 4.77 are far more acceptable, no doubt. My humble apologies to Jake Ferguson and our members!

Last edited: