Are you frustrated that Zeke is holding out or because he has 2 years remaining?

roughneck266

Reaction score
The time to say I don't want to play for what my 5th year is going to be is prior to signing the contract that said you will play for that. Pretty sure he and his agent were both aware that it would be something like this.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
Because if it's really only the 2 year part that's getting to you maybe take a look at this. Better to understand a situation before lashing out:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ay-should-be-tied-to-draft-slot-not-position/

If this was his last year I doubt he gets all this attention, but as it stands he's taking a massive cut compared to his peers and market value (the term used around here to justify highest paid salaries for average players) when he enters his 5th year, a year he has no control over if he were to meet or exceed expectations, which he has.

Just saying...

I read the article but I had already understood the dynamics of the fifth year option. Now with the understanding that I know this already, I am still not happy that he is holding out, but I am not mad at him either. RB is the BIGGEST gamble when it comes to there second contracts. They have the least longevity in the league and probably is the easiest to replace, it’s called “Supply and Demand”. Now add this to the equation, most of the time RB’s aren’t producing at the tail end of their contracts.

Should have been a QB where the supply and demand is heavily at his favor.

Train engineer or conductor. Bus driver or bus attendant. You want to make more, pick a position that pays more.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
Neither. He has carried the team mostly and with JGs crappy offense, that has often meant running into heavy traffic and 8-9 man boxes. With his heavy work load, heavy contact and still leading the league in rushing, a new deal
Makes a lot of sense for him.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
i just dont care about him anymore....he can hold out till the cows come home and we can trade him....his loss.
giphy.gif

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because if it's really only the 2 year part that's getting to you maybe take a look at this. Better to understand a situation before lashing out:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ay-should-be-tied-to-draft-slot-not-position/

If this was his last year I doubt he gets all this attention, but as it stands he's taking a massive cut compared to his peers and market value (the term used around here to justify highest paid salaries for average players) when he enters his 5th year, a year he has no control over if he were to meet or exceed expectations, which he has.

Just saying...

Then he should blame the NFL PA which gave teams a 5th year option on first round picks. There is nothing in the collective bargaining agreement that says a player has the right to renegotiate his rookie contract early should his play exceed expectations. He is going against the CBA and the Cowboys are apparently going to reward him like a bunch of knee jerk morons.

Maybe rbs like him are rare, but you don't need the best rb in the league or even a top 10 rb to win a super bowl...... which is the entire point of putting a team together. The Eagles just won a super with scrubs at RB. You have to spread the money around and build roster depth. That is the lesson we refuse to learn.

We haven't won anything with him. He's had 3 great years and we have 1 playoff win to show for it. Throwing more team resources at his position isn't going to bring us any closer to appearing in our first super bowl since the 1995 season.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I'm frustrated because the guy is an A-hole. He could be such a great football player...guy has all the god given abilities...yet here he is pissing it away. Should be here getting better...instead...he's taking the selfish way out. Guys that put money first is no way to build a football team. And I'll stand by that until the day I die. :rolleyes:

TasteMyScythe

Reaction score
Annoyed is a better word.

For all the crap Elliott has brought upon himself and brought to the team...there has constantly been one person that has stuck behind him and has had his back, and that's been Jerry. And this is the way Zeke repays him. Zeke should have waited a year and prove to everyone, especially Jerry, that he can handle his business and keep his nose clean.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Yes I did *******. I said what I said, and I meant every damned word of it. You don’t like my response? Let me loan you my phone so you can call someone that gives a ****!
:lmao::clap::lmao:

*,,,cuz' he's one year premature in his hold out stunt , he's certainly within his right to permanently tarnish the product of his brand by showing the world what he's really all about,it is his non endorsement life.

TwentyOne

Reaction score

Just saying...

I am not frustrated. I am thru with this guy. I hope every time he touches the ball everybody is booing him out of the stadium. Even if we win the SB and he will be MVP.

This guy is a cancer for this franchise and a menace to society. I would trade, heck even cut him right now. Such a great GREAT example for not being the RKG.

catiii

Reaction score
Then he should blame the NFL PA which gave teams a 5th year option on first round picks. There is nothing in the collective bargaining agreement that says a player has the right to renegotiate his rookie contract early should his play exceed expectations. He is going against the CBA and the Cowboys are apparently going to reward him like a bunch of knee jerk morons.

Maybe rbs like him are rare, but you don't need the best rb in the league or even a top 10 rb to win a super bowl...... which is the entire point of putting a team together. The Eagles just won a super with scrubs at RB. You have to spread the money around and build roster depth. That is the lesson we refuse to learn.

We haven't won anything with him. He's had 3 great years and we have 1 playoff win to show for it. Throwing more team resources at his position isn't going to bring us any closer to appearing in our first super bowl since the 1995 season.

We haven't won anything with him. He's had 3 great years and we have 1 playoff win to show for it. Throwing more team resources at his position isn't going to bring us any closer to appearing in our first super bowl since the 1995 season

What's this common sense and facts? :eek: Your post needed to be repeated. :D Well said!!

MyFairLady

Reaction score
He is going to get paid more than double what he otherwise would have. You would have to be insane not to hold out.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
If you play below your contract you get cut. If your play exceeds your contract it gets redone. There is no mystery here. There is no right or wrong. It is a business and it is reality. If you want to win in this league you need to make 100% certain that the big long term extensions that you hand out are worth it. You need to fill your team with players that exceed their contracts then be willing to let them go. We do not seem to have that ability. IMHO it stems from Jerry and his love for his players. I do not blame him for it. In fact I kind of respect him for it but I definitely think it has a negative impact on the long term success of the franchise.

MiddleStar

Reaction score
I actually don't mind the hold out itself, it isn't like he was going to be doing anything here anyway. Now I would prefer him to be here with the team and visibe but I don't really care that much.
Of the three I don't think his demands are that off base.

My frustration with this is the offense. He puts up big numbers but it is because of volume not efficiency. Not his fault really but the crappy offense/mind set we run. I don't like paying RBs big money, and I certainly think the Gurley deal is an outlier and not the actual value. Deep down I hope that a deal doesn't get done because I want to see what this team is like without him and to get a better reading on Dak. I want to see if the coaches change the offense without Zeke and rely on Dak more. If they do that, I want to see how Dak responds, does he elevate his and his teammates games or does he have to have perfection around him? If the coaches do change the offense and it works, then I want it to stay the same when Zeke gets back, hopefully making him more efficient with less of a workload and thus extending his career.

The only issue I have with the Zeke holdout itself is him. He made it all about him. He didn't have to go to Cabo, he could have trained in any of a number of places. Wouldn't people be less annoyed if say he went to Columbus and trained at Ohio State or something like that? No, he had to pick a location that was out of the ordinary and gave the feel of a vacation and thus like he isn't taking this seriously. Making sure everyone focused on him. As far as doing it with two years left, I don't care when he would have done it. This was the one time he had leverage. I guarantee next year if he doesn't have a new deal, there will be more options for the Cowboys than just a rookie 4th round RB.

I get him wanting to get paid, he has produced (when he is here) and wants to cash in while he feels like he can. I wouldn't do a deal with him though, and I certainly wouldn't do any substantial amount of guaranteed money. He probably deserves to get paid but there are A LOT of people who are in the same boat but are having to wait. It is how the NFL is set up. This isn't a Dallas issue this is a NFL issue, the Cowboys are simply playing by the same rules as the other 31 teams are. I wouldn't pay him until he proves to me that he is going to be an adult. The current Commissioner has a beef with him and has pretty much stated another screw up and Zeke is toast. Now I am beginning to think the beef is more with Jerry than Zeke so the ice under Zeke might be getting thicker but he is still on ice. Zeke has been here for three years now and we have yet to get through a single year without some dust up regarding him. I am not going to commit a large sum of money and cap space to someone who could be gone for large portions of a season/career because he wants to act like a child (and how will giving him more money make him more responsible?). So my inclination is to let him wait. He can hold out and not report, but then he is missing paychecks. I can wait, I want to see the offense without him anyway. If they lose games, then so be it. You can learn A LOT in a loss, not as much with a win. I say play by the NFL rules and see what the team is like without him and to see if maybe that will finally make him mature.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Im not frustrated but I do not understand how Zeke think it is cool to hold out after Jerry has had his back like no other owner in the NFL would have done. I get that its a business but Jerry made business decisions in backing Zeke so publicly and vigorously against the Commish. You would think Zeke would respect Jerry enough to show up and trust him enough to know that JJ is going to take care of him.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i just dont care about him anymore....he can hold out till the cows come home and we can trade him....his loss.

Where did those damn cows go to begin with? Are we sure they are coming home?