Are you like me and wish that PI was called again like it used to be?

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I'd just like Ito see it called consistently. If you're going to allow early contact, then allow it all the time so that the receivers can know what to expect and adjust to it. It can't be interference one time and not interference the next.

I agree wholeheartedly with the need for consistency. I've watched games where they let defenders get away with exaggerated clear cut PI, and other games where they call PI if you breath on the receiver. Define PI then enforce it, and open it up for review!
That won't take any longer than any other reviewable play because they'd still have the same limit on number of reviews available.

MS17

Reaction score
Over the years it seems to me like the competition committee and league were hell bent on tweaking PI rules, giving the receivers an edge. I don't recall what the interference rules for punt returners was in the 60's, but Id guess the foul was rarely called. As for me, Id like to see more contact allowed with DBs and receivers. It's a contact sport. Less scoring? OK.

Carnes

Reaction score
Another way we might make it a more balanced situation...

If the defense can be penalized 40 yards for defensive interference, why can't the offense also be penalized 40 yards if it's on them?

(Just thought of that, so don't be bashful to shoot it down, but on the surface, it seems only fair.)
I think they need to take away the spot foul for DPI make it a 15 yrd penalty like college

links18

Reaction score
PI has always been an incredibly subjective, arbitrary call. Can it be otherwise?

FloridaRob

Reaction score
My issue is the arm guarding. Receivers have to basically catch the ball with one hand these days because the DB is basically holding one arm down and preventing them from using it to catch. Get rid of arm guarding and I would be more than happy.

Reaction score
If every other catch is worth a replay, then PI should be too. Of course, I'd like a lot of things the way they used to be-like hitting a QB anywhere without getting flagged. How about when a catch was not having to have complete control even AFTER hitting the ground while going out of bounds, hitting two cheerleaders & a photographer, & slamming into the bleachers? Don't get me started :mad:

HungryLion

Reaction score
No way no how.

Playing pass defense is already much harder than it used to be.

- increased focus on defensive holding and illlegal contact
-inability to hit a receiver high, while they are in the process of making a catch.
- inability to hit a QB high or low in the pocket.

Defensive pass interference is already called enough. Let the cornerbacks play with a little physicality for crying out loud. I am ok with the rules making players safer from concussions. But I am all for the refs “letting them play” and allowing the corners to get a little handsy at the point of the catch.

Enough is enough

JustChip

Reaction score
I'd just like to see it called consistently. If you're going to allow early contact, then allow it all the time so that the receivers can know what to expect and adjust to it. It can't be interference one time and not interference the next.

Dilly, Dilly!!!

I get so frustrated with the inconsistency on PI. And it's not just PI, the same happens with offensive holding.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
These days, refs seem to almost routinely allow the CB or S to arrive a tick early before the ball, and let them get away with that. I hate that. I'd like to see it get "point of emphasis" treatment next season. No more of this crap. Saw it all weekend (again).
HECK No. I am sick and tired of watching the refs VS the teams. I want to see football not the refs. They call way to many penalties and is one of the MAIN reasons why people are turning it off. Let them play and call the real penalties that actually matter.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
Defensive PI calls by season:

2007: 142
2008: 155

2009: 173
2010: 191
2011: 205
2012: 236
2013: 238
2014: 206
2015: 231
2016: 280
2017: 267

The last two seasons are the highest since 1997 (273).

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2017/penalties.htm
Yep, now count up all of the HOLDING penalties too and it has turned into the refs VS the teams not a team VS another team. It is disgusting and it is making football worse year after year.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
Football just isn't football anymore.
You got that right. The reason they have so much vagueness in how penalties are called is so the league can fix games for gambling purposes. People need to realize that Pro Sports are fixed all over the world. Yet somehow it doesn't happen here? haha. Far too much money is being put up on these games and the NFL has a way to tilt the table in their favor. That is why no one knows what a catch is anymore. Penalties are always subjective. I wonder why?

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
I wish that they would call offensive PI more. There's so much of it happening that isn't getting called. Hell fruity boy Beckham slung Carr out of bounds on his super catch and they call PI on Carr. BS.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
These days, refs seem to almost routinely allow the CB or S to arrive a tick early before the ball, and let them get away with that. I hate that. I'd like to see it get "point of emphasis" treatment next season. No more of this crap. Saw it all weekend (again).

These days they’re allowing the players to play. You can call a PI on a lot of calls, would rather them be on obvious PI’s than being so tick tacky.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'd like them to make PI reviewable. It can be such a costly penalty being a spot foul that it should get special treatment.

Spot foul PI calls should be challengeable. There’s no penalty in football more costly than a spot PI call. They can change field position by 50 yards or more.