Aren't we expecting too much from Romo tomorrow?

sago1

Reaction score
Like every Cowboy fans I want very much to see the Cowboys win tomorrow. I think, hope, we have a chance but there is a problem we really haven't addressed and that is Tony Romo.

Don't get me wrong. I love Romo and believe he's already showing he will be a great Cowboy QB who with the right talent will win several SBs for us. He is the most exciting QB to watch that I have ever seen. How in the world we were so lucky to get him is a wonderment. Bet Jerry Jones often pinches himself.

But tomorrow our young QB whose only starting his 16th game will go against a head coach known to confuse long-time starting QBs like Peyton Manning, Palmer, Favre, etc. Belicheck will scheme to show a cover 2, which actually will be a cover 3 & other various schemes/formations that Romo simply in his short NFL career has never seen. I have no doubt that Garrett, Wilson & backup Brad Johnson will do everything they can to help him & Romo's obviously spent a lot of time studying film.

I believe we are expecting too much from Romo too soon. His play has been outstanding to the point he's already mentioned in the top 5--with stats that actually put him with the elite of Brady & Manning. During the Rams game, Aikman mentioned that Romo has gotten off to the best start of a QB in NFL history. He's produced stats in his first 15 starting games that are outstanding. With him as our starting QB, we've gone 11-4. I think I read somewhere that he's thrown for over 4,000 yards, 44 TDs, etc. Admit that seems a bit high. But I do know he's already thrown 4 300+ yard games this year & 3 last year for a career total of 7; Aikman holds the career Cowboy record with 13. The way Romo is playing he could break that record this year. So far in the 07 season Romo has thrown for 13 TDs after only 5 games, 2nd only to Brady. The Cowboy record of 29 TDs in 1 year is held by Danny White. That record could also fall to Romo this year.

We didn't expect Staubach to do any where near as much in his first starting season (nor did we expect Aikman either) as we expect from Romo. I think Romo will try everything he can do to play his very best. I'm just concerned that he will fail tomorrow cause he simply cannot overcome his lack of field experience.

We Cowboy fans want to win now. If Romo doesn't play as well as we hope, can Cowboy fans on this board understand he will be a great QB and not turn on him cause he can't produce everything we want right away. Will Cowboy fans turn on him at Texas Stadium if it turns out we only able to produce 16 points because he simply unable to read/understand the coverages he is seeing. Will Jerry Jones have the patience to understand that Romo's best years and the future of the Cowboys will continue thru rest of this year no matter how Romo plays tomorrow and that next year Romo will play even better cause he's gained valuable playing experience.

sbark

Reaction score
If he has had his agent throw the 1st volley at Jerry for the big buck contract............HE must think he is ready for what the fans, Jerry and others are asking of him............:starspin

Bizwah

Reaction score
We're not asking too much of Romo.

If he's the player we want him to be, he needs to stand up and perform. I'll be the first to admit that he didn't get a whole lot of help last game from the RBs or TO. But he's capable of beating the Pats.

Now, he may get crushed. All great QBs do. I remember Aikman and Co getting whupped 31-7 at Philly in 1992.

He can take a huge step tomorrow.

D-TownRadio

Benched
Reaction score
Tony is no rookie. He is a pro football player key word PRO he should be able to go out on the field any given sunday and go head to head with any D and with the weapons he has he should have no problem doing so. When you start a new job do you think management says we may be asking to much of him after a year of doing the same job? No well the same applies here. This is his job and if he wants to be paid like an elite QB he had better be able to play like one.

cowboys19

Reaction score
D-TownRadio;1704958 said:
Tony is no rookie. He is a pro football player key word PRO he should be able to go out on the field any given sunday and go head to head with any D and with the weapons he has he should have no problem doing so. When you start a new job do you think management says we may be asking to much of him after a year of doing the same job? No well the same applies here. This is his job and if he wants to be paid like an elite QB he had better be able to play like one.

I dont think you understand what he was trying to say.

I think what he was trying to say was, is it realistic to expect him to continue to throw for 300+ yards and score 30+ points a game , knowing he is still very inexperienced, game wise.

Most other QB's making their 16th start arent expected to throw for over 300 yards game in and game out, they arent expected to score 30 + points a game. Thats asking alot IMO.

Your right tho, if he wants to get paid the big bucks, this game would be a big statement, when jerry writes his check.

Even Tom Brady wasen't expected to carry the offense untill a few years ago.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
it's okay if we lose. no need to start making excuses now. Asking too much of him? Dude and his agents want damn near 30 mil in guarantees. Hell no we're not asking too much of him. As yourself, is wanting to win a Super Bowl asking too much of Romo?

Big Dakota

Reaction score
It depends on how good the team is around the player and how much "IT" he has. Say what you want about Brady, and yes a HUGE part of his success was being on a GREAT team from the get go and he hit the ground running. BUT, he was in just his 2nd year when he took over. The guy has been on a pretty good team just about every year but he's also won 3 bowls so i think he has "IT". Romo is in his 5th year and he's on what i believe to be a Super Bowl calibre team. I think Romo has "IT" so i'm expecting a LOT out of him. He should lead us to the best record in the NFC and NFC championship game this year and i expect nothing less. As far as tomorrow, i expect him to bounce back and play VERY well. I have that much faith in the kid.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
sago1;1704906 said:
Like every Cowboy fans I want very much to see the Cowboys win tomorrow. I think, hope, we have a chance but there is a problem we really haven't addressed and that is Tony Romo.

Don't get me wrong. I love Romo and believe he's already showing he will be a great Cowboy QB who with the right talent will win several SBs for us. He is the most exciting QB to watch that I have ever seen. How in the world we were so lucky to get him is a wonderment. Bet Jerry Jones often pinches himself.

But tomorrow our young QB whose only starting his 16th game will go against a head coach known to confuse long-time starting QBs like Peyton Manning, Palmer, Favre, etc. Belicheck will scheme to show a cover 2, which actually will be a cover 3 & other various schemes/formations that Romo simply in his short NFL career has never seen. I have no doubt that Garrett, Wilson & backup Brad Johnson will do everything they can to help him & Romo's obviously spent a lot of time studying film.

I believe we are expecting too much from Romo too soon. His play has been outstanding to the point he's already mentioned in the top 5--with stats that actually put him with the elite of Brady & Manning. During the Rams game, Aikman mentioned that Romo has gotten off to the best start of a QB in NFL history. He's produced stats in his first 15 starting games that are outstanding. With him as our starting QB, we've gone 11-4. I think I read somewhere that he's thrown for over 4,000 yards, 44 TDs, etc. Admit that seems a bit high. But I do know he's already thrown 4 300+ yard games this year & 3 last year for a career total of 7; Aikman holds the career Cowboy record with 13. The way Romo is playing he could break that record this year. So far in the 07 season Romo has thrown for 13 TDs after only 5 games, 2nd only to Brady. The Cowboy record of 29 TDs in 1 year is held by Danny White. That record could also fall to Romo this year.

We didn't expect Staubach to do any where near as much in his first starting season (nor did we expect Aikman either) as we expect from Romo. I think Romo will try everything he can do to play his very best. I'm just concerned that he will fail tomorrow cause he simply cannot overcome his lack of field experience.

We Cowboy fans want to win now. If Romo doesn't play as well as we hope, can Cowboy fans on this board understand he will be a great QB and not turn on him cause he can't produce everything we want right away. Will Cowboy fans turn on him at Texas Stadium if it turns out we only able to produce 16 points because he simply unable to read/understand the coverages he is seeing. Will Jerry Jones have the patience to understand that Romo's best years and the future of the Cowboys will continue thru rest of this year no matter how Romo plays tomorrow and that next year Romo will play even better cause he's gained valuable playing experience.

And you are expecting this?