Army's Villanueva has lofty NFL goal who is 6-10, 286

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Army's Villanueva has lofty NFL goal

Army's Alejandro Villanueva runs for yardage after a catch.Times Herald-Record/DOMINICK FIO
By Sal Interdonato

Times Herald-Record
December 05, 2009
Can a 6-foot-10, 286-pound, former offensive tackle play tight end in the NFL?

Army senior Alejandro Villanueva is getting a chance to state his case in front of NFL scouts.

Villanueva, a wide receiver, has been selected to play in the East-West Shrine Game on Jan. 23 at the Florida Citrus Bowl in Orlando, Fla.

"I can definitely play as a tight end or a tackle and put the weight back on," said Villanueva, who is one of two tight ends listed on the East team, said. "I can definitely see myself playing out there (in the NFL)."

Villanueva will need to leave a lasting impression.

Department of Defense policy doesn't allow cadets to pursue professional sports immediately after graduation. Cadets must serve two years of active duty before applying for a release to play.

"Two years after being deployed for 18 months, having to go to Ranger school and (basic officer infantry training), if they still want me, sure I would do it," Villanueva said.

Army coach Rich Ellerson's unconventional experiment has produced Army's best receiving option this year. One season removed from starting all 12 games at left tackle, Villanueva leads the team in receptions (29), yards (460), and has caught all five of its touchdowns.

At first, Army would just throw up the ball to the college Football Bowl Subdivision's tallest player. Now, Villanueva is running most routes and making catches by keeping his feet inbounds.

Villanueva's emergence has forced opponents to plan for more than just Army's triple-option.

Yet, Villanueva's frame could return him to the offensive line if he gets a shot at the next level.

"I saw it (pro potential) a little bit more last year," Villanueva said. "I think I was a solid tackle. It was my first year and the option's speed didn't benefit a 6-10 guy like me. But whenever we threw the ball, I found myself extremely comfortable.

"If I put 20 more pounds on, get in some workouts and get away from Academy life, I could definitely see myself playing tackle for a big football team."

sinterdonato@th-record.com

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Ive seen him. Pretty slick athlete for his size.

No way hes a tackle though. Strictly a redzone target

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
villanuevatalldude.jpg

If this kid is 6'10"/286 lbs and athletic enough to play WR he can definitely add 25 to 30 lbs and play tackle.
http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/villanuevatalldude.jpg

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3127350 said:
Ive seen him. Pretty slick athlete for his size.

No way hes a tackle though. Strictly a redzone target

thanks for the note, didnt know if he had the frame to add some weight

thought that after in the service with his hitch, he might come out about 6-10 and about 330 or so,

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Jason Peters was a 6'4"/280 lb. undrafted TE out of Arkansas. The Bills turned him into a Pro Bowl left tackle.

I'd take a chance at the kid. He really can't play in the NFL for 2 years but he could attend training camps. We waited on Chad Hennings (admittingly a much more polished player) and he turned out okay for us.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;3127444 said:
Jason Peters was a 6'4"/280 lb. undrafted TE out of Arkansas. The Bills turned him into a Pro Bowl left tackle.

I'd take a chance at the kid. He really can't play in the NFL for 2 years but he could attend training camps. We waited on Chad Hennings (admittingly a much more polished player) and he turned out okay for us.

doesnt he have to serve a army term or 2? if he does he probably wont get out till about the age of 25, or so, by that time he could be filled out nicely

remember we drafted chad hennings one year in lower rounds and waited for him to finish his service; chad hennings played decent for us and he helped us win a superbowl in 95

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
6'10" if the dude has any type of vertical.....20-25"...then he would make an awesome red zone threat.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
you never know, wasnt jonathan ogden the big huge tall powerful OT of the ravens like 6-8 or so?

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
Baltmores LT now

Jared Gaither is 6-9 #330

Games Played/Started: (2007, 6/2); (2008, 16/15); (2009, 5/5) Total 29/24
Saw action in all 16 games, starting 15 (missed 1 start with a shoulder injury, but did play in the game) at LT in 2008

Gaither was selected by Baltimore in the 5th round (31st selection overall) of the 2007 supplemental draft

we missed one there - I was screaming to pick him up but was Jerry listening NOOOOOOOOOO

The Realist

Reaction score
Sign him and beef him up.

The reserve/military roster exemption is a nice way to get a roster loophole for developmental purposes.

Patriots signed 3 guys from Navy this year.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Man 6'10 just seems like it would hender the QB's ability to see down field.

The Realist

Reaction score
CATCH17;3128523 said:
Man 6'10 just seems like it would hender the QB's ability to see down field.

There are plenty of 6-7 to 6-8 OT's.

2 inches won't make a difference.

QB's throw through windows.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;3127421 said:
villanuevatalldude.jpg

If this kid is 6'10"/286 lbs and athletic enough to play WR he can definitely add 25 to 30 lbs and play tackle.

If he's 6-10 and can catch the ball, he'd be a nightmare matchup at TE... and at 280 plus (and a converted offensive lineman), he'd probably be a better than average blocking TE...

Unless, of course, he runs a 5.2 40, or something like that... if he can move at all, it doesn't really matter if he can get separation, even if he's covered, he's open...