Around The Horn

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
was watching it earlier today, it's ridiculous. Woody Paige seems to be the only guy who has actually seen more of the Cowboys games besides against Washington and Philly. Smith knows his stuff pretty well toom, but Cowlishaw and Mariotti are morons.

When asked if Dallas was going to win the East, most of them said that Dallas weren't good finishers, that there offense hasn't been that impressive, defensively they looked terrible. How do you base what's happened in 9 games on 1 game? These "experts" most likely don't even watch all teh games, read a box score and then have the audacity to voice their oppinion on national television.

"Washington is the most complete team in the division"
"They gave up 36 to Chris Simms"
"That's just 1 game"

Did these idiots not see Washington against NYG. 36-0. Walt Harris is absolutely terrible in coverage, and their 1st round "shut down" Carlos Roger still isn't starting.

NYG bandwagoners need to realise, just because NY was 6-2 halfway through, doesn't make them good. Eli looked terrible against Minnesota. He didn't look that great against us either. So far NY has beaten 2 quality teams, barely edging Denver, and then curshing Washington (who I'm not all too sold on at all actually). NY is so overrated it's sick. Washington, at 5-4, isn't really over rated. I'd almost say they might be the 2nd best team in the NFC East. Portis looks pretty good, and Moss has been explosive, but to say the Gregg Williams defense has been great? That's just not true. 72 points allowed in their last 2 losses...

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Did these idiots not see Washington against NYG. 36-0. Walt Harris is absolutely terrible in coverage, and their 1st round "shut down" Carlos Roger still isn't starting.

I was saying that too, I thought at least Calishaw would bring that up.

their d is so good, yet we have given up about 15 points less

calico

Reaction score
i saw it too. It was a riot. It shows you just how much they know.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
A lot of them change their opinions 180 depending on how a team played that week. But the worst is Mariotti - that guy annoys me so much. He has to overstate everything just to get simple points across. I feel like putting the tv on mute when he talks. Cowlishaw can talk sense sometimes but a lot of the time the guys on Around the Horn & PTI seem to show twice the interest in Baseball then in Football.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
typical ESPN idiots and bias
soon as they realize Dallas is the last team standing, they wll make their reasons what went wrong for the others. Then jump on the band wagon.

When they do, let's not let them on. Bombard them with e-mails they are not permitted to join in.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Well it wasn't anything bandwagoning, but when you're supposed to know about sports, and you are given the general context of the show before hand, you should at least have some sensible arguments.

How can you say a Gregg Williams defense is always going to be good, when in the last 3 weeks, Washington has showed up on defense one time. Philly hasn't really been an offensive juggernaut, take out that boneheaded throw by Bledsoe, and the 2 big penalties on their FG drive, and Philly puts up 10 on us. They aren't really an offensive juggernaut. So that Washington came out and stopped them isn't that surprising.

Washington might have had a nice run, but nothing about that team sells me on them. The defense, at this point, has become below average. They lack a credible pass rush, and besides the two people named Sean, their secondary is comlete crap. Santan Moss leaves that offense pretty much as a single threat O. Portis is good, but I refuse to believe he is nearly as good as people make him out to be. Although he really did impress me with his all around game agaisnt Philly. Cooley is a decent TE, but he benefits from Moss stretching the field. I just don't see a true #1 WR on that team, although Moss puts up those kind of numbers. There isn't a big bodied WR who can go over the middle for them. Those cute WR screens they ran with such great effect havent really fooled anyone anymore either, just look at the TB game.

Using New York's game against Minnesota might be a bit of a more accurate measure of that team. Eli is simply not as good in his second year as Peyton was in Indianapolis. The media seems to think just because Peyton went 13-3, Eli will too. It's not the case. Peyton was much better at making reads in his second season than Eli is. Peyton was a QB where "throw him to the wolves" theory worked really well on. Eli has played 6 games less than Peyton at this point, so I will say that in his defense. He still locks onto his WRs, and makes errant decisions.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
You do realize that everyone at ESPN goes week by week on who is gonna win what. Next week the Cowboys could whoop the Lions and everybody would make them the favorites and then us maybe loose to Denver and they would say Washing or NY Giants are clearly better. Thats why i don't care anymore if they say good things about the cowboys or bad

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Me either. I wasn't nessecarily even referring to the Cowboys, just their entire thought process that leads them to open their mouths in the first place. To be honest, with as stupid as some of these guys seem to be, I'd rather not have them pick Dallas.

Just take Salisbury, the guy starts out saying Philly will take the East. All of a sudden Washington catches fire, they all of a sudden become the most complete team, WAIT NYG are 6-2!! Holy crap, New York is great, yada yada yada, Eli vs Peyton in the Super Bowl...now he's at Dallas....

maybe you really do have to go week to week in todays NFL though, it's a crazy place.

Rockytop6

Reaction score
Jazz, you stated that when the Boys win the SB, these sportswriters will jump on the Dallas bandwagon. No, I think they will analyze and come up with the excuse the other team gave it to the Boys, or the refs, etc. yada, etc.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Who cares? Personally, I'd love to see every "expert" disrespecting the Cowboys.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
Hey i rather us sneak up on everybody by continuing to win without getting noticed than everybody being ready for us and targeting us.