Arrington gets into it with coaches

Irving Cowboy

The Chief
Reaction score
Arrington needs to practice better
Associated Press
Posted: 13 hours ago

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) - The LaVar Arrington soap opera kept its grip on the Washington Commanders all week, with every development taking the shine off of a 3-0 start.

On Monday, the three-time Pro Bowl linebacker wondered why he was playing so little and seemed ready to accept that he will be playing elsewhere next season.

On Wednesday, Arrington and coach Joe Gibbs held a long and animated conversation after practice, just out of earshot but in clear view of a full brigade of reporters. Both men frequently gestured with hands and arms, and Gibbs even put his right index finger into Arrington's chest to make a point.

On Thursday, Arrington's routine changed. He did some work with special teams instead of practicing exclusively with the defense.

Listen to any local sports call-in show, and Arrington's name usually comes up in a hurry. What's the real deal behind the benching of the franchise's most popular player? Arrington played only two snaps in Sunday's 20-17 victory over Seattle, and he only played a few more in the first two games.

Gregg Williams, the assistant coach in charge of the defense, offered the most candid explanation yet following Thursday's practice.

"We're pretty old-school coaches," Williams said. "You've got to do it in practice if you're going to do it in the game. I'm not going to relent on that. If you do it in practice, you'll do it in the game. If you don't do it, you don't get a chance to play in the game."

It's hard to question the tactics of a team that's undefeated, but the Commanders have won their three games by a combined six points.

The defense has not allowed many points, but it is underperforming in two vital areas - sacks and turnovers. The team has four sacks and has forced only two turnovers, ranking near the bottom of the league in both.

Sacks and turnovers are Arrington's specialty. He had 17 sacks and forced 11 fumbles combined in 2002 and 2003, before a knee injury wrecked his 2004 season.

Now, he is healthy and would seem to fill a need. When asked about the turnover-sack deficiency, Williams said Arrington might be getting more time on the field soon, maybe on Sunday at Denver.

"He's doing better. He's improving. I think he's got a real good team attitude and as he improves, he'll play more," Williams said. "But right now, we're playing as well as we can play with the people that we are playing with and the guys that have put the most time in. There could be a chance - maybe it might spring out this week."

Arrington's teammates are not sure what to make of the linebacker's situation.

Running back Clinton Portis said he understands the defensive coaches not wanting to mess with a successful game plan. But, he added, "I think we need that guy on the field."

Former Commanders cornerback Champ Bailey, now with the Broncos, was particularly confounded when Arrington's name was mentioned during a conference call this week with Washington reporters.

"Can you please fill me in?" Bailey said. "Because I've been trying to figure that out myself."

Told that Arrington is healthy but not playing, Bailey said: "He's not playing, and he's healthy. Oh, God. He's the best athlete on their team. I don't know why that could be happening. ... When I was there, we had to have him on the field."
:)