ARTICLE: 2006 Free Agent Winners and Losers

JonCJG

Reaction score
By: Brian Walzel (SFIllustrated.com)

THE WINNERS

1. Washington Commanders: Owner Daniel Snyder once again opened the bottomless vault and brought in the most impressive free agent class in years, which includes two former 49ers starters. Safety Adam Archuleta, defensive ends Andre Carter and Kenny Writerdsf, tight end Christian Fauria, and wide receivers Brandon Lloyd and Antwaan Randle El all will either start immediately or see significant playing time. Lloyd, a restricted free agent, was actually acquired in a trade for two draft picks, but he essentially was a free-agent pickup as the Commanders intended to strike a deal with the 49ers before signing him to an offer sheet.

2. Cleveland Browns: The coup was landing defensive tackle Willie McGinest, but the signing with the most immediate impact is likely offensive lineman LeCharles Bentley, who lived in relative obscurity in New Orleans. Bentley was the second-best offensive lineman available and the Browns shored up a glaring need. They also landed receiver Joe Jurevicious – a FA the 49ers were interested in – tackle Kevin Shaffer, nose tackle Ted Washington and punter Dave Zastudil.

3. Arizona Cardinals: The 49ers’ divisional rival won the Edgerrin James lottery and that puts them near the top of the list in itself. James gives the Cardinals a legitimate back for the first time since…Larry Centers? The offense is scary good with James, wide receivers Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald and golden boy quarterback Matt Leinart. They also added depth at wide receiver by signing Troy Walters away from New England. With the addition of a superb draft class, the Cardinals have had arguably the best offseason of any NFL team.

4. Houston Texans: Everyone in South Texas already knows what most of the league and its fans may just now be catching up to: The Texans had a great offseason. They added depth in the linebacker corps with Sam Cowart, shored up the defensive line with Anthony Cook and gave quarterback David Carr more weapons by signing fullback Jameel Cook and tight end Jeb Putzier. But the biggest move came when they signed Eric Moulds, who will provide the Texans with a legitimate No. 2 receiver threat for the first time ever. They also picked up running back Antowain Smith late in the free agency period.

5. Dallas Cowboys: They are grudgingly listed here because they had the guts, or perhaps idiocy, to sign former 49er Terrell Owens. There is no doubting Owens’ ability on the field. There is also no doubting his inability in being a good teammate, as many former and current 49ers could tell you. The Cowboys finally filled their rotating kicker position by landing Mike Vanderjagt. The signing of offensive tackle Jason Fabini could be the key move of the offseason.

THE LOSERS

1. New England Patriots: Perhaps no team in the league was hit harder in free agency than the Patriots. They lost one of the best kickers ever in Adam Vinatieri, a stalwart defensive lineman in Willie McGinest and one of the most underrated receivers in the league in David Givens. Losses of receivers Andre Davis and Tim Dwight aren’t quite as significant, but do put a dent in the depth at the wide receiver position. Much like their conference rival the Colts, their biggest acquisition was a kicker (Martin Gramatica).

2. Chicago Bears: The Bears had one of the worst offenses in the league last year and what did they do to address their needs in free agency? They added Brian Griese, yet another quarterback with a mostly unproven track record, to essentially compete with Kyle Orton and Rex Grossman for the starting job. Their only other slightly significant addition was adding cornerback Dante Wesley.

3. Indianapolis Colts: Any time your biggest acquisition is a kicker (albeit one of the best in league history in Adam Vinatieri), you probably didn’t have too much to get excited about. The Colts were never really in the running in resigning Edgerrin James, who left town for Arizona, so that makes them a free agency loser alone. They also lost receiver Troy Walters and kicker Mike Vanderjagt, for better or for worse.

4. New York Jets: Not much has gone right for the Jets recently. They lost two stalwarts along the two lines in John Abraham and Kevin Mawae. Granted, Abraham was dealt in a trade and wasn’t lost in free agency, but the Jets had no intentions of keeping him. Mawae was a rock along the Jets line for years and found a new home on Tennessee. Signing defensive end Kimo von Oelhoffen was a nice pick up, though.

5. Jacksonville Jaguars: Their free-agent signing list largely reads as a “Who’s That?” of NFL players. Linebacker Nick Greisen, wide receiver Randy Hymes and cornerback Brian Williams were all signed to add depth, mostly. Their biggest splash came in signing offensive tackle Mike Williams away from Buffalo. The former first-round pick out of the University of Texas was a major disappointment in Buffalo and will be looking to rejuvenate his career with the Jags.

thecowboyz.blogspot.com

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Washington as number 1? ***. I guess overpaying for a poor, POOR mans Roy Williams and overpaying two number 2 receivers makes them the best FA signing team? Wow

MONT17

Reaction score
he lost me at DT Big Willie McG!!!! I guess he doesnt watch football he just reports on it...

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
I'm beginning to wonder whether he ranks these teams based on two things..

1. Acquisitions of former 49ers
2. Acquisitions of players the 49ers sought

NOVA 22

Reaction score
NextGenBoys said:
Washington as number 1? ***. I guess overpaying for a poor, POOR mans Roy Williams and overpaying two number 2 receivers makes them the best FA signing team? Wow

think about what lloyd did to us, combine that with what santana moss did and its a little scary. as many have noted, this is a small/quick WR league with the new rules, and it seems like Joe Gibbs may have 3 of them now.

burmafrd

Reaction score
small quick WR's have just as many disadvantages as bigger ones do. One thing- they can be jammed real easy. ALso they cannot getup as high to get the ball- so that means the QB has to throw lower- and there are problems with that. AND who do they have that can go over the middle and survive for very long?

The Answer

Benched
Reaction score
5. Dallas Cowboys: They are grudgingly listed here because they had the guts, or perhaps idiocy, to sign former 49er Terrell Owens. There is no doubting Owens’ ability on the field. There is also no doubting his inability in being a good teammate, as many former and current 49ers could tell you. The Cowboys finally filled their rotating kicker position by landing Mike Vanderjagt. The signing of offensive tackle Jason Fabini could be the key move of the offseason.

The Answer definitely agrees with that last sentence. Fabini is a key signing that many fans have overlooked. In Fabini we are getting a guy who has a rock solid history as a starting RT up until his injury last year. And if Petitti continues to develop, this move well be even more beneficial if Flozell isn't 100% because Fabini can play at the LT spot as well.

Also lets not forget about Adoyle. He was definitely a diamond in the rough playing in Jack Del Rio's defense in Jacksonville. This kid is a pure tackling machine and was born to play in the 3-4!

~The Answer

JonCJG

Reaction score
We have had the best FA off season by far.

Special teams, Defense, Offense and depth were all addressed. What else could we have asked for?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
DragonCowboy said:
I'm beginning to wonder whether he ranks these teams based on two things..

1. Acquisitions of former 49ers
2. Acquisitions of players the 49ers sought
Exactly. It's not too hard to figure out what the SF in SFIllustrated stands for. Why else would the author even mention "Kenny Writerdsf"?

Ashwynn

Reaction score
123456 said:
We have had the best FA off season by far.

Special teams, Defense, Offense and depth were all addressed. What else could we have asked for?
Maybe a littel better Oline. Call me sceptical. I was not impressed with the Oline rebuild. I get a Marcellius Wiley kinda feel about Fabini and Kosier. Our center busted lasted year and put on wieght in the offseason and that fixes all his problems? I just dont get the warm fuzzies when I consider our Oline. Its the only unit I would call a weakness and if it proves to be as advertised by the brass, then we have something. If it doesn't, well lets just say things could get really ugly around the cowboy nation.

Hiero

Reaction score
andre carter absolutely freakin blows. Why anyone would consider him a good free agent, especially at 30 mill is just ********. archuleta, is he really even that good? Lloyd has serious character issues, he cares more about his rap cd than football among them.

GhettoxCowboy

Dem Boyz
Reaction score
NextGenBoys said:

its ok if the redskirts are #1, because once again, with all there FA,moves they are goin nowere.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Boy some reporters really hate giving us any credit.

He's not exactly a credible reporter. He writes for Scout.com's Houston Texans site.

Roughneck

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
He's not exactly a credible reporter. He writes for Scout.com's Houston Texans site.
Exactly, so what would he know about Football to begin with?

:D

silver

Reaction score
Ashwynn said:
Call me sceptical. I was not impressed with the Oline rebuild. I get a Marcellius Wiley kinda feel about Fabini and Kosier.
Ouch. Don't bring back 2004. It hurts!! You make a valid point. Don't forget returnees Gurode & Pettiti who may rise up to the challenge. They aren't exactly chopped liver. Wiley production was on a steady decline statswise and with injuries before he arrived. Kosier and Fabini are stop gap measures IMO, specially Fabini who might be a hold the fort type that Parcells relies on all the time (see Keith Byars, Brian Cox, Everson Walls, Keyshawn Johnson and Jumbo Elliott for reference)

The Answer

Benched
Reaction score
Ashwynn said:
Maybe a littel better Oline. Call me sceptical. I was not impressed with the Oline rebuild. I get a Marcellius Wiley kinda feel about Fabini and Kosier. Our center busted lasted year and put on wieght in the offseason and that fixes all his problems? I just dont get the warm fuzzies when I consider our Oline. Its the only unit I would call a weakness and if it proves to be as advertised by the brass, then we have something. If it doesn't, well lets just say things could get really ugly around the cowboy nation.

Fabini is a consummate professional and is another classic Parcells type of player, Wiley on the otherhand was nothing more than an overrated 'fatcat'.

As for Kosier he's one big, ugly looking mofo....but I like that in an Olineman. Let's hope he rises to the occasion replacing a legend like Larry Allen.

~The Answer

Silver Bullet

Reaction score
Washington pays big bucks EVERY off-season and look where that have gotten them so far!?

1 Playoff appearance since Snyder took over in 1999.

Woooopdi doooooo

:rolleyes:

As I said before, Washington can soak in all the Pre-training camp glory, it's the regular season that counts.