ARTICLE: Chavous sees Titans going with Leinart

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
By JIM WYATT
Staff Writer

As a player who tries to prevent touchdowns for a living, St. Louis Rams safety Corey Chavous said Texas quarterback Vince Young scares him the most.

Forecasting through those same eyes, Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler is nearly as frightening.

1pix.gif
But Chavous, an NFL Draft guru who has worked for NFL Network and ESPN and is familiar with the three top quarterbacks in this year's class, thinks the Titans will pick the one he has rated as the third-best — USC's Matt Leinart.

"Jay and Vince are 1A and 1B with me,'' said Chavous, an eight-year pro. "I have to worry about how I have to defend quarterbacks as a safety and I know if I take a bad angle with Jay or Vince either in the pass game or the run game — the run game with Young, the pass game with Cutler because of the velocity he throws with — they can get me out of the league quick.

"I like Leinart, and I am not saying he's not a great quarterback. But the stuff I see with Young and Cutler, I just don't see the same thing on tape with Leinart.''

That said, Chavous predicts the quarterbacks won't necessarily go off the board in that order.

On April 29, the first day of the NFL Draft, Chavous believes the Titans will take Leinart with the third overall pick. He has Young going to the Raiders at No. 7 and Cutler to the Cardinals at No. 9 (requiring trade with the Lions).

"In the Titans' system, I think Matt Leinart might fit better,'' Chavous said of Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow, who coached Leinart at USC. "Sometimes it is about taking the right guy for the system, so why not take the guy if his coordinator is there? I think it would be a good fit.

"Obviously there is no sentimental value there now with Steve McNair being kicked out of the facility, so the Young factor is gone, I think. You bring him there and he might be mad his mentor isn't there. But letting Young get by is a mistake. He presents a different element. He is like (Falcons QB) Michael Vick in that he can do so many things. He is so fast, and his game speed is so much faster.''

Chavous, who regularly watches tape on college players, said Young convinced him he'll be an NFL star after watching him during the course of his junior season.

"Vince Young is the best quarterback in the draft as far as his ability to lead your team in a comeback situation, to put a team on his back," Chavous said. "He has the ability because of his size and running ability to be able to take over a game and he makes better decisions than most running quarterbacks. I definitely think he has some great years ahead of him.''

Granted, he's a former Commodore himself (1994-97), but Chavous was on the Cutler bandwagon long before anyone else.

In an interview with The Tennessean last April discussing the draft, Chavous thought Cutler would be a first-round pick. At the time, Cutler was hardly on anyone's radar screen. Now most draft experts have him going in the top 10-15.

"Jay has the strongest arm in the draft,'' Chavous said. "He has such a strong arm, people say that he tries to squeeze the ball into tight spots too much. Well, I don't agree with that.

"I like the fact that he has the moxie and confidence to take those chances, and I like his swagger. I think he is destined for success because he is out to prove something and he has a little bit of a chip on his shoulder.''

Chavous said it's difficult to evaluate Leinart in part because he was surrounded by so many good players with the Trojans. But Chavous likes Leinart's savvy and consistency winning games, and while "he doesn't have the arm that Jay and Vince have,'' he thinks it's good enough for success in the NFL.

"This is a Nashville paper, so how can I not go with Cutler as the best?'' Chavous said. "In my mind it is definitely Cutler and Young."

Chavous rates the quarterbacks

MATT LEINART, USC

³Positives: He’s tougher than most people give him credit for. During a game vs. Hawaii last year, he went outside and blocked for Reggie Bush, laying his man. ... He has that ability to say “Follow me,” which is something you need as a quarterback. ... He has consistently put up great numbers, and won games. ... Has never had a “bad” year. ... Very seasoned and very savvy. ... Excellent footwork in the pocket. ... Compares favorably to former Chargers and current Saints quarterback Drew Brees.

³Negatives: His arm seemed stronger his junior year than this past season, maybe because of surgeries. I don’t know if you won’t see his full arm strength, per se, until maybe a year or two from now. So that is something that has to concern you. ... Doesn’t lead receiver as well as he could. ... On crossing routes and out routes he is sometimes late, and with his arm strength he can’t be late. … Needs to anticipate better.

VINCE YOUNG, TEXAS

³Positives: Has great knack for knowing when to tuck the ball and run. ... Anticipates the blitz from the shotgun and he can throw from a number of different positions. ... Does a good job on fade routes and go routes when he steps up under pressure. ... Does a great job of finding his tight end, which is why he completes such a high percentage of passes. ... Plays much faster than his 40 time. ... A great leader. ... Is durable and has best size of any QB in draft. ... Throws the ball as hard as he needs to and judges how much velocity he needs to put on ball well.

³Negatives: Doesn’t always throw an accurate out route. ... Sometimes waits for his receivers to get open before he throws. ... Needs to continue developing throwing quick slants and quick routes.

JAY CUTLER, VANDERBILT

³Positives: Has the strongest arm in the draft. ... Plays faster than his time in the 40 — he is not going to run a great 40, but when he scrambles he looks like a 4.5 guy because he has great competitive speed with a good burst. ... Great leader. ... Is very accurate. ... Anticipates where a receiver is going to be better than any QB in the draft. ... Throws great corner routes. ... Understands how to bide his time, which allows his receivers to get open.

³Negatives: Needs to have a better feel for when not to take a chance. ... Sometimes throws against body and is sometimes careless with the ball. ... Did not play on a winning team and that is why a lot of people have him ranked behind Leinart and Young — he has that stigma attached.

LINK

burmafrd

Reaction score
Cutler probably has fewer risks overall. Young will be either the second coming of Fran Tarkenton or the second coming of Q. Leinart- I think he is a lot like those Miami and FSU QB's of the 80's and 90's: they won a lot on great teams but were duds or just average in the pros. A lot of people said about them that they just won- but they didn't in the pros.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I suppose Chavous has changed his tune. On the NFL Network not long ago, he had Reggie McNeal ranked very high on his QB list.

Pokes28

Reaction score
Chavous is the first "expert" I've read that said that Cutler was really accurate. Cutler can be very accurate, but he goes through spells within a game where he isn't accurate at all.

To me it is simple. Leinhart is the most ready today. He may not have the ceiling of the other two, but his floor is higher than theirs. Cutler has the strongest arm, but he's not a winner and hasn't shown that he's a great leader. He has a lot to learn, but his arm can both get him in trouble and take him out of trouble. Young is the X factor. He has the most to learn but has the best overall talent. He could be the most amazing player ever to play the QB position or he could be a total bust. I don't see Young as having much middle ground. He'll either be a wash out or a stud. I guess it is possible that he could end up like Aaron Brooks who has all the talents to be spectacular, but drives his coaches and fans crazy with his inconsistency.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh