WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Last season's defeat helped spark dramatic turnaround

Jim Parker, Windsor Star
Published: Saturday, December 08, 2007

ALLEN PARK, MICH. - The Dallas Cowboys owe the Detroit Lions a big debt of gratitude.

Who knows where the Cowboys would be without last year's loss to the Lions at the end of the regular season.

Playing out the string, the Lions beat the Cowboys in Dallas on the final day of the season.

It cost Dallas a chance for a home playoff game and the Cowboys went on to lose in Seattle the following week in the first round.

That led to head coach Bill Parcells stepping down and being replaced by Wade Phillips.

A year later, the Cowboys have the best record in the NFC, have already clinched a playoff spot and are off to the best start in franchise history.

A win Sunday and Dallas will clinch the NFC East Division.

"It's been a great turnaround and the team is benefiting," Cowboys wide receiver Terrell Owens said of the arrival of Phillips. "I think that is very indicative if you look at our record."

Owens and the Cowboys have unleashed a lethal offensive attack under Phillips.

Quarterback Tony Romo, in his first full season as the starter, has already set a franchise record with 33 touchdown passes. He'll face a Detroit defence that is 31st against the pass.

"Romo's playing great and if there's a broken coverage, he'll find 'em," Lions safety Gerald Alexander said.

The Cowboys are second to New England averaging over 390 yards of offence a game and have put up 30 points or more eight times this season.

"We're having an outstanding year so far," Phillips said.

"Obviously, things are going well when you're 11-1.

"We are certainly happy with our position and I'm excited about it. I like this team. I like the way they play. I like their temperament and their work efforts."

Those were words head coach Rod Marinelli sometimes used as Detroit won six of its first eight games, but not in its four-game slide.

"The 6-2 run was doing tings right," Marinelli said. "We just need to go back."

The Lions would love to see it all come together Sunday as it did in Dallas last year, but quarterback Jon Kitna said the game plan has to be almost perfect.

"A B-plus game won't win this game," he said.

But that might be tough to do with things unraveling for the Lions, who have lost leading receiver Roy Williams.

"We've backed ourselves into a corner by our own doing," Kitna said.

Shaun McDonald will start for Williams and Kitna said the big thing is just for every player to do their own job.

"We can't go out and try to make big plays," Kitna said. "We just have to go out and make the plays that are open."

jparker@thestar.canwest.com or 255-5777 ext. 413

LIONS PREVIEW

WHO: Dallas (11-1) at Detroit (6-6)

WHEN: Sunday, 1 p.m.

WHERE: Ford Field

TV/RADIO: Fox 2, 97.1 FM

LINE: Cowboys by 11

-- Jim Parker

LINK

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I don't think we owe it to Detroit. Any team with a half decent QB could have exploited our defense at that point. Hell, Mike Vick even did it.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;1818157 said:
"Romo's playing great and if there's a broken coverage, he'll find 'em," Lions safety Gerald Alexander said.
Music to my ears. All those years of crappy QB play are finally behind us.

tunahelper

Reaction score
"The 6-2 run was doing tings right," Marinelli said. "We just need to go back."

Joey from Brooklyn?

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
The loss did not cost Dallas a home playoff game. It was meaningless as far as playoff positioning goes.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lurkercowboy;1818267 said:
The loss did not cost Dallas a home playoff game. It was meaningless as far as playoff positioning goes.
So true, but do you really expect a mediot to get things right?

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;1818332 said:
So true, but do you really expect a mediot to get things right?

They have been saying it all week. Saying it was a pivotal game for us last year. But the facts are that the game had ZERO playoff implications.

MCowboys

Reaction score
I thought he was gonna say we owe the Lions for taking Mike Williams and letting us have Ware.