ARTICLE: Garcia calls out new receivers

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
PHILADELPHIA -- Eagles backup quarterback Jeff Garcia doesn’t see much of a difference between the team’s new generation of wide receivers. That doesn’t sound like a good thing for a group that desperately needs to distinguish itself to make up for the loss of Terrell Owens.

Garcia addressed the issue after a Wednesday workout at the NovaCare Complex, which is filling up with Eagles veterans getting a jump on organized full squad practices that begin next week.

Garcia thinks the receiving corps is capable. At the same time, the group headed by Reggie Brown and Jabar Gaffney at minicamp is so nondescript Garcia would like to see someone emerge as The Man.​

"I think they all are very talented," Garcia said. "I think one of the things about the receivers is it seems like they’re a lot of clones -- like the same guy out there. I don’t think there’s a whole lot of difference between them. And I think what’s going to have to happen is, somebody is going to have to really step up and separate themselves. I mean that in a good way. I think competition is going to create that sort of atmosphere on the field."

Garcia would like to think he knows something about receivers. The three-time Pro Bowl quarterback with the San Francisco 49ers is one of just six players to throw 30 or more touchdown passes in consecutive NFL seasons.

What Garcia has seen at minicamp and in workouts is a group of receivers struggling to find an identity as the Eagles move on without Owens, the superstar that owner Jeffrey Lurie conceded is the best in the business.

A stickler for detailing work, Garcia’s remarks about what the receivers must do to separate themselves, if you will, were eye-opening.

"I think they have to realize that doing the little extra things make a difference," Garcia said, "whether that’s getting in the weight room today after practice, whether that’s watching more film, getting in your playbook or eliminating certain mistakes out on the field. Those are all important factors in separating yourself. When you can become accountable for yourself and dependable, that’s when you start to separate."

Garcia thinks the Eagles can win without a premier go-to guy. He says the balanced attack works -- providing the run becomes a real part of the offense.

"It’s not just balance among receivers, tight ends and running backs," Garcia said. "It’s balance between throwing the football and running the football. I do believe that they go hand in hand. In order for this offense to be able to work effectively, you need to be able to run the football, and you need to be able to utilize play action and movement off of that running game.

"When you look at the old San Francisco teams, not only were they tops in throwing the football, they also ran the football very well. I know this team got away from that last year and probably a lot because of where they sat in certain games, but I think it’s something that we’re really working to get back to, to really have balance. And really, every receiver has to be able to contribute because they’re always an option on any given play."

The Eagles quietly were highly impressed with Garcia’s efforts at the recent minicamp and expect to have a positive influence on starter Donovan McNabb.

"I just want to help him grow and continue to get better on the field and do whatever I can to help this team out," Garcia said.

Garcia’s professionalism already is rubbing of on some of the younger Eagles including quarterback Timmy Chang, whom the veteran has taken under a wing.

"We’re only going to be as good as that last guy on this depth chart," the 36-year-old Garcia said. "And I take pride in helping those guys because I’ve been through it. I’ve been around this system for eight years now and it’s something I’m pretty confident in."

LINK

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
PHILADELPHIA -- Eagles backup quarterback Jeff Garcia doesn’t see much of a difference between the team’s new generation of wide receivers. That doesn’t sound like a good thing for a group that desperately needs to distinguish itself to make up for the loss of Terrell Owens.

Garcia addressed the issue after a Wednesday workout at the NovaCare Complex, which is filling up with Eagles veterans getting a jump on organized full squad practices that begin next week.

Garcia thinks the receiving corps is capable. At the same time, the group headed by Reggie Brown and Jabar Gaffney at minicamp is so nondescript Garcia would like to see someone emerge as The Man.​

"I think they all are very talented," Garcia said. "I think one of the things about the receivers is it seems like they’re a lot of clones -- like the same guy out there. I don’t think there’s a whole lot of difference between them. And I think what’s going to have to happen is, somebody is going to have to really step up and separate themselves. I mean that in a good way. I think competition is going to create that sort of atmosphere on the field."

Garcia would like to think he knows something about receivers. The three-time Pro Bowl quarterback with the San Francisco 49ers is one of just six players to throw 30 or more touchdown passes in consecutive NFL seasons.

What Garcia has seen at minicamp and in workouts is a group of receivers struggling to find an identity as the Eagles move on without Owens, the superstar that owner Jeffrey Lurie conceded is the best in the business.

A stickler for detailing work, Garcia’s remarks about what the receivers must do to separate themselves, if you will, were eye-opening.

"I think they have to realize that doing the little extra things make a difference," Garcia said, "whether that’s getting in the weight room today after practice, whether that’s watching more film, getting in your playbook or eliminating certain mistakes out on the field. Those are all important factors in separating yourself. When you can become accountable for yourself and dependable, that’s when you start to separate."

Garcia thinks the Eagles can win without a premier go-to guy. He says the balanced attack works -- providing the run becomes a real part of the offense.

"It’s not just balance among receivers, tight ends and running backs," Garcia said. "It’s balance between throwing the football and running the football. I do believe that they go hand in hand. In order for this offense to be able to work effectively, you need to be able to run the football, and you need to be able to utilize play action and movement off of that running game.

"When you look at the old San Francisco teams, not only were they tops in throwing the football, they also ran the football very well. I know this team got away from that last year and probably a lot because of where they sat in certain games, but I think it’s something that we’re really working to get back to, to really have balance. And really, every receiver has to be able to contribute because they’re always an option on any given play."

The Eagles quietly were highly impressed with Garcia’s efforts at the recent minicamp and expect to have a positive influence on starter Donovan McNabb.

"I just want to help him grow and continue to get better on the field and do whatever I can to help this team out," Garcia said.

Garcia’s professionalism already is rubbing of on some of the younger Eagles including quarterback Timmy Chang, whom the veteran has taken under a wing.

"We’re only going to be as good as that last guy on this depth chart," the 36-year-old Garcia said. "And I take pride in helping those guys because I’ve been through it. I’ve been around this system for eight years now and it’s something I’m pretty confident in."

LINK

Reporter: So, TO, what do you think about Garcia's comments about the Eagles receivers?

TO: I smell a rat. If it walks like a rat...

CIWhitefish

Reaction score
Garcia's a cancer! He's calling out his teamates! Tearing the team apart at the seams!

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
He's got a lot to say for a back up QB.

Agreed. Particularly since he hasn't exactly distinguished himself since he left San Francisco. If I were one of these receivers, I might be a touch offended and shoot back, "Jeff, did you watch yourself in any game you played in during the last three years?"

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For a guy who'll be playing for his fourth team in 4 years, he does have a lot to say. The facts speak for themselves - Owens made Garcia. He's been nothing without Owens to throw to. That said, he's certainly more capable than the Eagles backups last year.

Does it really surprise anyone that the Eagles receivers look average?

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
stasheroo said:
For a guy who'll be playing for his fourth team in 4 years, he does have a lot to say. The facts speak for themselves - Owens made Garcia. He's been nothing without Owens to throw to. That said, he's certainly more capable than the Eagles backups last year.

Does it really surprise anyone that the Eagles receivers look average?

Didn't TO say Garcia works better behind another guy.

CIWhitefish

Reaction score
Flippin Sweet comment!

(Especially when you take into account your name DP!)

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
On the other hand; someone needs to say these things for that team and it isn't going to be the Mr. Nice-Guy McNabb then it might as well be Garcia. He has more credibility than anyone else they have and he has the advantage of being right in this case.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I said it before about TO, this is wrong. Garcia should keep it in house.

Talking about former teammates, that's fine.

Talking about opponents (a la Joey Porter on Jerramy Stevens), that's fine.

This is crap.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Hostile said:

This is crap.

Yeah, it seems like the same crap he did at Browns and then at Lions that got him booted out of there. Of course, he went at it with management over there mostly. For now its just players he is going after. I believe he did that with SF too somewhat.

Considering his crappy play, I am not sure why he shoots his mouth so often.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Hostile said:

This is crap.
I am by no means a Garcia fan. I nearly puked every time someone would call for us to sign him after he left SF. Frankly I doubt that anyone has a lower opinion of Garcia than I do…But I do try to give the devil his due.

In this case Garcia did not name names or call out specific players and he wasn't saying that they CAN'T do it. He was stating (in his opinion) what they have to do if they want to become The Man, and was calling for them (at least one of them) to step up their game. I'd say that he challenged them more than berated them.

Since Garcia isn't going to be The Man either it seems like he is being the sacrificial lamb and stirring a pot that needs stirring without affecting the locker room in a big way. He isn't going to be the starter when McNabb is through with rehab and he is an outsider so everyone can hate him equally. If I had a higher opinion of Reid as a motivator I'd think that he put Garcia up to it.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I agree with Jack.

Please, let's not try to compare Garcia's comments with TO's past behavior/comments.

You must make yourself look like apologists and, er, fools by doing so.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
tyke1doe said:
I agree with Jack.

Please, let's not try to compare Garcia's comments with TO's past behavior/comments.

You must make yourself look like apologists and, er, fools by doing so.
I'm not comparing the comments, I'm comparing the act. You do not speak ill of teammates, named or not.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I wonder why the backup is calling out the WRs? just goes to show you how soft McNabb is, no wonder TO walked all over him

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I'm not comparing the comments, I'm comparing the act. You do not speak ill of teammates, named or not.

I think they all are very talented," Garcia said. "I think one of the things about the receivers is it seems like they’re a lot of clones -- like the same guy out there. I don’t think there’s a whole lot of difference between them. And I think what’s going to have to happen is, somebody is going to have to really step up and separate themselves. I mean that in a good way. I think competition is going to create that sort of atmosphere on the field."

I guess we disagree on the meaning of speaking "ill" of teammates.

I didn't see anything in what he said as speaking ill of teammates. He's simply asking them to step up and distinguish themselves. And given that we don't know the ENTIRE interview, how can we say he's speaking ill of them, given the fact he praises their talent level?

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:

LINK

Garcia better worry about his own job......:bang2:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
tyke1doe said:
And given that we don't know the ENTIRE interview

So you are saying it might be out of context? That sounds much like the T.O. Playboy interview.