ARTICLE: Grotz: Eagles aren’t as good without a new T.O.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb was in rhythm during the first minicamp practice last weekend when he was tested. His No. 1 receiver, Reggie Brown, tried to run through the double coverage of the first-team defense minus injured cornerbacks Lito Sheppard and Sheldon Brown. Reggie Brown, unfortunately, couldn’t get to the deep ball partly because he expended a lot of energy trying to angle away from his defenders and partly because the throw went in another direction.

You remember the last time they tried to hook up. It was last November at the Linc when McNabb threw short while Brown broke deep and Roy Williams returned the interception for the late touchdown that produced a dramatic 21-20 Dallas Cowboys victory. McNabb’s season ended when he whiffed trying to tackle the Cowboy. Legend has it that’s when T.O. decided he had to play for Big D.

Now, one throw at a non-contact practice does not equal an I-told-you-so; much less warrant a 911 call. There’s plenty of time for McNabb and Brown to get on the same page. There are going to be growing pains as the multi-talented Brown is beginning just his second NFL season.

To be fair, Brown had his moments at the minicamp. Just not a lot of them as the Eagles spread the ball around to everyone, including the tight ends in the retro-Green Bay Packers offense. That’s the way it’s going to be in 2006.

Despite Brown’s upside, it was painfully obvious from a spectator’s standpoint the Eagles haven’t come close to replacing superstar wide receiver Terrell Owens.

It’s becoming increasingly clear Owens hid a multitude of day-to-day inadequacies at wide receiver including route running in addition to supplying the swagger that helped the Eagles reach their only Super Bowl in the McNabb-Andy Reid era.

With 20 touchdowns in 22 games, Owens drew so much attention from the opposition he created opportunities for teammates. The ultimate competitor, he also got the best out of teammates at practice. No one knew how to run routes better. Owens was a real-time instructional tool for the coaching staff that’s sorely missed.

The only Eagles wide receiver with a firm grasp of the offense and the ability to run it is Todd Pinkston, and he bypassed the minicamp to strengthen his surgically repaired Achilles’ tendon. Pinkston probably knows more about the passing game than the rest of the receivers combined, and that’s not necessarily a good thing for a rhythm offense where timing is everything.

Though the Eagles like Brown and are intrigued with Jabar Gaffney, the possession receiver who wasn’t re-signed by the cellar-dwelling Houston Texans, it didn’t prevent them from trying to dramatically upgrade the position during the offseason.

The Eagles put in a strong bid for wide receiver Javon Walker, the Packers’ No. 1 receiver coming off major knee surgery. The Eagles brought Walker in for a physical the morning of the NFL Draft but the Pack dealt him to the Broncos for a choice second-round pick.

The Eagles also acknowledged in the offseason they would bring Eric Moulds on board for the right price, another less than glowing endorsement of their wide receiving corps.

There are reports they are one of the teams interested in Broncos wide receiver Ashley Lelie, who wants out of Denver.

The Eagles have a go-to guy in running back Brian Westbrook. The four-year veteran, for all of his explosiveness and class, must prove he’s durable enough to play a full NFL season.

The plan for 2006 is for the Eagles to get the ball into the hands of Westbrook, Brown, Pinkston, Gaffney and tight ends L.J. Smith and Matt Schobel, the latter an interesting compliment.

The plan is for Westbrook and running backs Ryan Moats and Bruce Perry to run the ball; something the Eagles didn’t do often enough or effectively enough until they got rid of Owens last year. Westbrook didn’t last long in that setting, however, landing on injured reserve with a sprained foot.

The plan also is for the running backs to catch the ball.

McNabb should feel more comfortable working the pocket as the Eagles fortified the offensive line at tackle and guard with rookies Winston Justice and Max Jean-Gilles, respectively.

If left tackle William "Tra" Thomas can’t make it all the way back from lower back surgery, the Eagles would have no problem inserting Justice. Likewise, if Todd Herremans doesn’t work out at left guard, the Birds would like nothing more than to plug in Jean-Gilles, a 350-plus pound oversized load.

The Eagles aren’t as happy about the situation at center, as they courted Pro Bowl pivot LeCharles Bentley before deciding to let veteran Hank Fraley and Jamaal Jackson compete for the position.

Until McNabb is under live fire and the Birds actually line up, it will be tough figuring out how Andy Reid really wants to connect the dots.

There’s something to be said for involving a lot of players in an offense.

The flip side is the players have to be able to make the most of limited opportunities, which is to say they all have to be at the top of their game, and they must stay healthy. That’s asking a lot.

It’s a lot easier connecting the dots when you have the game-breaker.

To contact Bob Grotz, e-mail bobgrotz@aol.com.

LINK

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
hahahahahhaha.

I think the obvious response is, "DUH!"

K-Mart

Reaction score
Please put Justice over at LT and Ware will eat him alive........

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
K-Mart said:
Please put Justice over at LT and Ware will eat him alive........
Just imagine both Justice and Jean-Gilles in there as rookies. Come week 16 (Christmas game) they'll be on their last leg.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
The Eagles put in a strong bid for wide receiver Javon Walker, the Packers’ No. 1 receiver coming off major knee surgery. The Eagles brought Walker in for a physical the morning of the NFL Draft but the Pack dealt him to the Broncos for a choice second-round pick.

The Eagles also acknowledged in the offseason they would bring Eric Moulds on board for the right price, another less than glowing endorsement of their wide receiving corps.

There are reports they are one of the teams interested in Broncos wide receiver Ashley Lelie, who wants out of Denver.

If they had half a brain, they would trade for Lelie. I know Denver is asking much more than he is worth, but I believe he is a superior player to anyone they have on their roster, hands down.

But their stubbornness with money and inept offseason will keep them from rebounding to their 2004 level. I can see them making the playoffs, but unless they get a quality WR, they won't go far at all.

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
You remember the last time they tried to hook up. It was last November at the Linc when McNabb threw short while Brown broke deep and Roy Williams returned the interception for the late touchdown that produced a dramatic 21-20 Dallas Cowboys victory. McNabb’s season ended when he whiffed trying to tackle the Cowboy. Legend has it that’s when T.O. decided he had to play for Big D.
Interesting comment if true. First time I've heard it tho. Anyone heard mention of this before?

Alexander

Reaction score
Kittymama said:
Interesting comment if true. First time I've heard it tho. Anyone heard mention of this before?

No, but why would that game make his mind up?

Like Coach Parcells said, why take on a smaller gig when you can do a show in Vegas?

TheHustler

Reaction score
It's all about addition by subtraction, remove a pro-bowl, disgruntled WR and your team gets better. See how well it worked out for Culpepper? No wait.......

arglebargle

Reaction score
TheHustler said:
It's all about addition by subtraction, remove a pro-bowl, disgruntled WR and your team gets better. See how well it worked out for Culpepper? No wait.......

And see how Oakland prospered because of it? No, wait....

arglebargle

Reaction score
TheHustler said:
Haha, you think Moss was the reason Oakland stunk it up?

Weren't you pointing out that losing him helped cause a collapse?

Oakland did not prosper just by getting him, that's for sure....

TheHustler

Reaction score
arglebargle said:
Weren't you pointing out that losing him helped cause a collapse?

Oakland did not prosper just by getting him, that's for sure....

Yes I am. Your point being?

arglebargle

Reaction score
TheHustler said:
Yes I am. Your point being?

In a perfect world, getting a Pro Bowl WR should help the team he goes to, and hurt (by subtraction) the team he leaves. Sort of like the article talks about. But it didn't work for the Oakland side of things last year. Given that some Cowboys fans are pinning a lot of hopes on the arrival of T.O. this bears remembering.

'Course we can always hope that the it hurts the Eagles regardless.

Alexander

Reaction score
arglebargle said:
In a perfect world, getting a Pro Bowl WR should help the team he goes to, and hurt (by subtraction) the team he leaves. Sort of like the article talks about. But it didn't work for the Oakland side of things last year. Given that some Cowboys fans are pinning a lot of hopes on the arrival of T.O. this bears remembering.

Had we done nothing else to bolster the offense, I would agree that we are weighing too much into the acquisition. But the drastic difference is that Oakland brought Moss in as the offense. We are going to attempt other things (2 TEs for example) to attempt to keep him from being marked much like Moss was. You could also justifiably state the case that Norv Turner's offense isn't exactly suited for a vertical player like Moss. I can tell you this, Shell returning the old Raider offense is right down Moss' wheelhouse.

And in fairness to Moss, Kerry Collins isn't the most effective passer around.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the Eagles and their fans are in for a rude awakening. Many expect them to simply "bounce back" into contention since McNabb is healthy. I don't see it that way.

Take a good look at the Eagles and it becomes apparent they were "the best of the worst" in the NFC for a few seasons. They had no competition for the division and they never actually beat any good teams, especially when it really mattered.

Reality says that the rest of the NFC East has since passed them by.

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
You can look at McNabb statistically with and without TO and see what a dramatic difference it was across the board on TDs, yards, comp %. All were much lower without TO and when TO was gone again we all saw what happened.
I don't see how the Eagles improve offensively this season. They have made moves to get o-lineman the last few drafts but they don't rely on the running game. Its their WRs that have to step up and they don't have the talent or experience to do so.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Alexander said:
If they had half a brain, they would trade for Lelie. I know Denver is asking much more than he is worth, but I believe he is a superior player to anyone they have on their roster, hands down.

But their stubbornness with money and inept offseason will keep them from rebounding to their 2004 level. I can see them making the playoffs, but unless they get a quality WR, they won't go far at all.

I think you're nuts. Lelie doesn't do anything Pinkston can't do. He has slightly faster straight line speed, but that's it. He's nothing but a deep threat. He's certainly not worth high draft picks.

The Eagles are going to miss Eldorado. He was a perfect fit in that offense. I like Brown, but he's not a gamebreaker by any stretch of the imagination.

Alexander

Reaction score
Cowboy from New York said:
You can look at McNabb statistically with and without TO and see what a dramatic difference it was across the board on TDs, yards, comp %. All were much lower without TO and when TO was gone again we all saw what happened.
I don't see how the Eagles improve offensively this season. They have made moves to get o-lineman the last few drafts but they don't rely on the running game. Its their WRs that have to step up and they don't have the talent or experience to do so.

Owens made McNabb a better QB. I don't see any simpler way to put it.

The issue for years before Owens was that they needed a dynamic WR to help him become more accurate and open up their offense. Now they are back in the same boat and I don't think Reggie Brown, Jabbar Gaffney, Greg Lewis or Jason Avant are going to be anything close to the threat Owens was.

TheHustler

Reaction score
arglebargle said:
'Course we can always hope that the it hurts the Eagles regardless.

I have no doubt that'll occur. :suxiggle: :trophy: :suxiggle: :trophy:

Alexander

Reaction score
baj1dallas said:
I think you're nuts. Lelie doesn't do anything Pinkston can't do. He has slightly faster straight line speed, but that's it. He's nothing but a deep threat. He's certainly not worth high draft picks.

I am not impressed a single bit by Pinkston. Lelie has better speed, can block slightly better and doesn't have the courage issues going across the middle.

I am not harping on Lelie's greatness, far from it. He isn't a great talent, but I do think he is better than anything they have, which speaks to their situation.