Article--Hutchinson eager to prove he belongs

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
Hutchinson eager to prove he belongs

By Nancy Armour
The Associated Press

November 30, 2004, 4:41 PM CST

Chad Hutchinson was about to go surfing near his Southern California home two months ago when he got a call from the Bears.

They weren't promising anything, only a roster spot and the possibility of playing for a team that goes through quarterbacks like practice jerseys. But for a guy who went from being the next Troy Aikman to a pre-training camp castoff, it was more than enough.

"It's awesome. This is all I can ask for," he said. "Two months ago I was like, 'Man, I just want to get back in the game to just get an opportunity,' and my opportunity is here. For me, I'm just so excited because this is what I love to do and it's another opportunity to do it."

Hutchinson will start against the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday afternoon, the Bears' fourth quarterback this season. Hutchinson doesn't care if he's first, fourth or 15th, so long as he gets an opportunity to play.

"Last time I put so much pressure on myself to be the next Troy Aikman when it wasn't really feasible," he said. "This time I'm going to do the little things that will help me get better as a quarterback in the NFL. I'm going to have fun because this is another lease on life."

Hutchinson showed great promise in two seasons at Stanford, throwing for 4,235 yards and 20 touchdowns with a completion rate of 60 percent. But for as good a football player as he was, he was just as good -- or better -- as a pitcher. The right-hander was 10-5 with a 4.89 ERA and 115 strikeouts his junior season, and the St. Louis Cardinals took him in the second round of the 1998 amateur draft.

He spent most of the next four years in the minor leagues, making a brief appearance in the majors in April 2001. After compiling a 24.75 ERA in three appearances, Hutchinson went back to the minors and realized he still wanted to play football.

Though he hadn't played in a game in four years, several teams expressed interest, and the Dallas Cowboys signed him to a seven-year deal in January 2002 that included a $3.1 million signing bonus. With a strong arm and a 6-foot-5, 237-pound frame, he immediately drew comparisons to Aikman.

Hutchinson didn't quite measure up on the field, though, going 2-7 after taking over as starter midway through his rookie year. He lost his starting job to Quincy Carter last year and then, after an unimpressive showing in NFL Europe, was dumped by the Cowboys in July, a few days before training camp began.

"It ended pretty abruptly and in my eyes not right," Hutchinson said earlier this month. "I'm not real pleased about my experience last year or my days in Dallas. Just something you learn from and move on."

He went back home to California, hoping another team would give him a chance. The Bears called after Rex Grossman blew out his knee, and Hutchinson signed a two-year contract Sept. 28.

Though he was supposed to be the backup quarterback, Hutchinson found himself behind Jonathan Quinn and rookie Craig Krenzel as he learned the Bears' complex offense and digested the voluminous playbook.

"I really didn't have any expectations but to learn the offense as quick as possible and go out there and get better every day," he said.

But Quinn was disastrous and Krenzel wasn't much better before spraining his ankle last Thursday against Dallas. The Bears signed veteran Jeff George on Monday, but it will take some time to get up to speed, too.

So the Bears put Hutchinson in charge, giving him another opportunity to show what he can do.

"We feel like he's ready to take control," coach Lovie Smith said. "Again, we've seen him quite a bit going against our No. 1 defense with the (scout) squad, and he really knows what's going on with the offense right now. So we just think that something really good can come out of that."

He can't be much worse than the others. The Bears have just one offensive touchdown in the last three games, and the Bears managed only 140 yards of offense last week against Dallas.

The Bears are averaging 237.3 yards of offense a game, worst in the NFL, and have only 13 offensive touchdowns. Just how bad is that? The NFC's most productive offense, Green Bay, is averaging more than 410 yards a game and has 33 touchdowns.

"We're excited about" Hutchinson, receiver Bobby Wade said. "He's wanting to make plays, he has that will to win. That's huge. We've been looking for that opportunity for him to play, and he's been waiting, so he's going to go out there and just let the ball go."

Eddie

Reaction score
Good luck to Hutch. I always thought he has the physical tools to be a good NFL QB. I hope he has learned the mental part of the game.

Then again, he played for a lousy Cowboy team which went through a dozen starting line-ups along the OL. It was horrendous to watch.

His NFLE OL wasn't much better.