Article: Joey Galloway taking off

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Bucs' offense allows the wideout to showcase his playmaking ability.

Chris Harry | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted October 7, 2005
TAMPA -- Tampa Bay wide receiver Joey Galloway has blasted into the 2005 season the way he blasts off the line of scrimmage on cornerbacks.

He knows it.

Just don't tell him about it.

"Stop it," Galloway said, covering his ears. "That's like talking to a pitcher about a no-hitter."

While watching tape of what a healthy Galloway has done for the his offense, defensive coordinators on Tampa Bay's schedule may want to cover their eyes.

Though he's 33, Galloway is looking like the big-play threat who came out of Ohio State in 1995 as the eighth pick in the draft. It's as if he's gone back in time -- back to when he scored 41touchdowns in his first four seasons.

"When we got our hands on him, I was really excited," Bucs Coach Jon Gruden said. "You can see why."

Gruden is just in the early phases of unleashing what he believes to be one of the great -- yet virtually forgotten -- weapons in the NFL. Who knows what the two will have in store when the unbeaten Bucs (4-0) travel this weekend to face the New York Jets (1-3)?

"He's always been a heck of a football player," Jets Coach Herman Edwards said. "But he's healthy now."

That hadn't been the case of late.

"Man, are you OK?"

Galloway heard that question a lot in the seasons before coming to the Bucs in April 2004 in a straight-up trade for Keyshawn Johnson.

After six seasons in Seattle, Galloway signed a free-agent deal in 2000 with Dallas, which gave up two first-round picks to land the Seahawks' franchise-designated player. But in the season opener at Philadelphia -- after catching four passes for 62 yards and a touchdown -- Galloway blew out his knee and was done for the year -- and future years, for the most part.

After averaging 65 receptions in his first four seasons with Seattle, Galloway averaged 37 in his four seasons with the Cowboys. Playing with quarterbacks such as Clint Stoerner, Anthony Wright, Quincy Carter and Chad Hutchinson can do that to a guy.

Galloway faded off the NFL radar.

"That's the nature of the sport," he said. "Have one of those years, they write you off."

Gruden didn't.

After the 2003 season, Gruden went looking for offensive sparks and recalled the potential he saw from Galloway coming out of Ohio State. He remembered, as offensive coordinator in Philadelphia, lobbying the Eagles' brass to take Galloway with the seventh overall pick in the draft. They took Mike Mamula instead.

So when Galloway went on the trading block in 2004, Gruden imagined the possibilities and laid them out for Galloway.

Galloway had been labeled as a vertical threat, but Gruden had other ideas. A simple example: "Instead of running you deep and throwing to guys underneath," Gruden said, "how about we just throw to you underneath and let you do something with it?"

Galloway loved the concept, but a severely pulled groin muscle in the '04 opener at Washington set him back. He was inactive for the next six games, brought along slowly, then turned out to be a bright spot in the final weeks of a 5-11 season, scoring five touchdowns over a late four-game stretch.

Galloway used that last season surge from last season as a springboard to 2005.

"More importantly, he did," Galloway said of Gruden, who spent time in the offseason devising ways to get a player with breakaway skills the ball.

Last week, Galloway caught seven passes for a career-high 166 yards, including an 80-yard bomb for a touchdown. Through four games, he's tied with Michael Clayton for the team lead with 17 catches, and tops the Bucs with 316 yards and three touchdowns. Most impressive: 14 of Galloway's catches (82.3 percent) have netted first downs.

With the Bucs' newfound running game (fourth in the league), Galloway has become even more dangerous.

"He's a threat who adds another dimension to our offense," quarterback Brian Griese said. "He can get down the field, and we can get him the ball in situations where he can make big plays."

Gruden saw this coming last year. He didn't foresee the groin pull.

"We're just hoping he can have an injury-free career with the Bucs," Gruden said. "He's just now scratching the surface of what he can be."

Galloway is the fourth-oldest player on a veteran-laden team, but he has played in just two postseason games during his career and lost them both. Now about a month shy of his 34th birthday, Galloway talked about the point in an athlete's career when they think more about what they haven't done versus what they have.

"I'm there now," he said. "I just want to win."

He's doing his part.

Just don't remind him.

Chris Harry can be reached at charry@orlandosentinel.com.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/football/orl-bucs0705oct07,0,1974237.story?coll=orl-sports-football
---------

Glad things are working out for Galloway. Always liked him. It's amazing what working with a functional QB can do for your career.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Healthy Galloway just getting started
The speedy receiver may have the best year of his career if the Bucs can keep him fresh.
By RICK STROUD, Times Staff Writer
Published October 7, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Times photo: Jim Damaske]
Receiver Joey Galloway, front, is tied for the Bucs lead with 17 receptions for 316 yards and three touchdowns.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA - Mention his nine touchdowns in as many games. Or bring up his career high in reception yardage Sunday against the Lions. Any compliment is met with the same response.

Joey Galloway raises his index fingers and plugs his ears.

"That's like calculating a batting average or talking about a no-hitter. You don't talk about that stuff," Galloway said, still blocking out the noise.

You can't blame him for being superstitious because luck hasn't always been on his sideline.

At 33, Galloway is on pace to enjoy the most productive season of his 11-year career. While declining physical skills force most receivers his age to play more with their head, Galloway still is beating defensive backs with his legs. He is tied for the team lead with 17 receptions for 316 yards (18.6 average) and three touchdowns.

Perhaps more impressive is that 14 of his catches have resulted in first downs. His 209 receiving yards on third down is tops in the NFL.

"This guy is a hell of a lot more than a deep threat. He's a hell of a player, man," coach Jon Gruden said. "He's a threat on a little screen pass. He's a threat all the time."

That's why Gruden was so annoyed Sunday when Galloway left the game briefly in the third quarter with cramps from dehydration. In fact, several hours after Galloway's seven-catch, 166-yard performance that included an 80-yard touchdown, he received a telephone call from Gruden.

"I'm sure he gave you the clean version of that phone conversation," Galloway said. "He made it clear that we've got to take care of the cramp situation, and believe me, we're doing everything we can to take care of the cramp situation."

The Bucs are doing everything they can to make certain Galloway is in the lineup for 16 games this season. A year ago, he tore his groin in the season opener at Washington and missed the next six games. So in training camp, the Bucs devised a lighter schedule. He practiced just once a day to keep him fresh for the regular season.

"It wasn't so much overworking him, but working him the right way," Gruden said. "We saw the guy put on a show last year in training camp and miss eight or nine games. We were just hoping he can have an injury-free year with the Bucs. He's just now scratching the surface of what he can be. I don't even think he knows what all he can do. I'm just here to help him, prod him at times."

Galloway doesn't mind. He was sold on playing for Gruden the minute he saw news of the proposed trade from Dallas for Keyshawn Johnson crawl across the bottom of his television screen two years ago. He was vacationing in Mexico, without phone service for several hours and no way to determine whether the report was accurate.

But Galloway welcomed a change of scenery. His final year with the Cowboys, he caught just 34 passes for 672 yards and two touchdowns despite playing in 15 games.

"When you go a season getting 30 or 40 balls? People actually thought I was hurt," Galloway said. "Some didn't even know I played 15 games that season. They're like, "Man, are you okay?' I was like, "Just don't tell anyone I was healthy.' But yeah, that's the nature of this sport. Have one of those years, they write you off. But if you can get to a system, the right place, right situation, then all of a sudden it all works out."

Gruden always wanted to work with Galloway. He was the Eagles offensive coordinator who lobbied for the Ohio State star in the 1995 draft. But Philadelphia went for Boston College defensive end Mike Mamula with the seventh overall pick. Galloway went one pick later to the Seahawks. He caught 36 touchdowns in his first four years.

"When I was coaching elsewhere years ago, I really felt that when I saw this guy that he was the best receiver I'd ever seen, coming out of Ohio State," Gruden said. "He had it all. He's built like a brick house. He runs a 4.18 at his workout. I really thought he was a superstar when he was playing at Seattle. He scared the hell out of me. He had (nearly) 40 touchdowns his first four years and was just warming up.

"Then he got hurt. Got derailed. He played in a situation in Dallas where they struggled at quarterback. ... They had Clint Stoerner and went quarterback after quarterback and offensive coordinator after offensive coordinator. He had a couple of injuries, but I always wanted to work with him."

Although Galloway has had surgeries on both knees, he shows no signs of slowing.

"The difference between him and the other 30-year-olds playing the game is that this guy can still run by you," cornerback Brian Kelly said. "Joey is playing like he's a third- or four-year guy and still knows if he gets anybody in front of him, he's going to get behind them. That's the most impressive thing I've seen."

There's another reason Galloway turns a deaf ear to his personal accomplishments. At this point in his career, Galloway is more interested in winning a championship.

"I know that if we have to go into games and run it 50 times, and win, that's fine with me," he said.

"It's been a long 11 years of two playoff games and two losses. Man, I just want to get back there and have a chance to win."

[Last modified October 7, 2005, 01:50:23]

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/10/07/Bucs/Healthy_Galloway_just.shtml

Justis

Reaction score
Yeah, yeah, same song second verse. Joey looks like he's going to take the NFL by fire. Oh no, he stubbed his toe! Wake me up when he manages to end a season out of the wheelchair.

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
And yet another guy we gave up on too soon, just because Parcells likes only HIS players to play.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
daboysin06 said:
And yet another guy we gave up on too soon, just because Parcells likes only HIS players to play.
Joey not only played in 03, but started 15 games; he only missed a game due to injury.

We needed a possession receiver. Had Joey been able to do what Key can, most likely he'd be here today, (most likely, not defintely, because he did have cap issues) and starting.

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Joey not only played in 03, but started 15 games; he only missed a game due to injury.

We needed a possession receiver. Had Joey been able to do what Key can, most likely he'd be here today, (most likely, not defintely, because he did have cap issues) and starting.

True, but can you say you aren't jealous of the pure speed Galloway brings Tampa? I mean I know we have Terry, but I would love to have Joey-Bledsoe touchdown combos, thats just me thought. Im not shooting down what Keyshawn can do at all.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
daboysin06 said:
True, but can you say you aren't jealous of the pure speed Galloway brings Tampa? I mean I know we have Terry, but I would love to have Joey-Bledsoe touchdown combos, thats just me thought. Im not shooting down what Keyshawn can do at all.
I can honestly say I am not jealous of whatever Jon Gruden is able to get out of Joey Galloway in Tampa....he'd be as underused here as Price is. Bill seems content with Terry and Patrick's speed.

We sorely needed Key's skill set, and apparently Bill saw Terry and Joey as redundant. Since Terry can do more than just run downfield, and is Bill's Boy, there was never any doubt in my mind who'd stick and who wouldn't.

I wish Galloway well, but he was still largely Gallowaste here. Hope Gruden does right by him.