ARTICLE: Keyshawn Johnson a happy camper

Doomsday101

Reaction score
As he walks under the bridge that leads to the Carolina Panthers practice field, the Panthers free agent wide receiver is reminded instantly of what his signing has meant to fans of his latest team.

"Keyshawn!" yells a boy from 50 yards away.

"Hey, Keyshawn," says a bearded man holding various paraphernalia to be autographed.

Friday's mini camp practice was Johnson's first time on the field with his new teammates. For the first time, he lined up, ran a route and caught a pass from Jake Delhomme. Delhomme's demeanor impressed Johnson very much.
"He's cool," said Johnson. "He's fun. I like guys like that. I like guys that take their job seriously when they are playing football but at the same time try to have a little bit of fun and relax the environment. I think that he brings that to the table at the quarterback position."

Then there is the matter of Delhomme's favorite target, wide receiver Steve Smith, who happened to become the first receiver since 1991 to win the triple crown at his position most catches, most yards and most touchdowns. This was accomplished in a season in which the Panthers weren't able to develop another target in their passing game capable of pulling double and triple teams off of Smith. So enter Keyshawn Johnson, who says he can help Smith, Smith can help him, and the two of them playing together can help the team as a whole.

"I think it's going to be plus to this entire team, not just to me individually," said Johnson, who has 744 career receptions for 9,756 yards and 60 touchdowns in his career. "Obviously, it is well documented what (Steve) has been able to do over the last couple of years, and what I've done speaks for itself. I think when you look at what they (the Panthers) did last year and the opportunity that they had last year, adding a few more pieces to the puzzle is going to help the situation, we hope."

Beginnings are not new to Johnson. The Panthers represent the fourth stop in his storied career. He has attended mini camps with the New York Jets, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (where he won a Super Bowl), and Dallas Cowboys. He says the Panthers are not much different from their division rivals.
"All of them are different," he said. "They are all unique in their own way. Coming here reminds me a lot of when I first got to Tampa. It was a team that had a pretty solid defense and an offense that could move the ball from time-to-time on the ground, but this offense I think is a little better than the one that I had under (Tony) Dungy in the beginning. Then we went on a couple of years later to win the Super Bowl, and this team reminds me so much of that."

For now, though, he must learn the ropes, which of course is the primary purpose of mini camp, where players where helmets, shorts and light jerseys only.

"You're really just trying to get yourself familiar with everything and trying to pick up on some of the offensive terminology," Johnson said. "Some of it I've had in the past and some of it is like a foreign language to me. I've taking it one step at a time for now. I don't anticipate any sudden flashes any time soon. But it was pretty good just to be able to get back on the football field and have an opportunity to go up against some defenders and catch some footballs."

And afterward, as he walked back to the stadium, the shouts of "Keyshawn" once again came from all directions.

Coakleys Dad

The Re-Birth has begun.
Reaction score
im honestly really sad that we got rid of keshawn, he was a model citizen and a great contributor for us, but i do lova me some T.O. as well.... Good luck Key!!!!!

JakeCamp12

Reaction score
I would have liked to have kept Key also, I have a lot of respect for him for the time he put in here. He was a true professional...

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really think losing Keyshawn will come back to haunt us this season ..

Just my opinion of course ..

-Reality

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Reality said:

-Reality

You are not alone in your opinion. I too believe that the failure to sign Keyshawn Johnson will come back to haunt us before it's all said and done with.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
I miss keyshawn and wish him well, but I can't help but wonder if his situation there isn't going to be just like here, he has a burner with good hands oppisite of him kinda like he did here and last year glenn was an animal so I guess maybe I don't see that he really helped himself. Other than the payday I mean.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
Reality said:

-Reality

I wish he were still a Cowboy but NFL economics prevented it. Haviing said that, losing Key will only hurt us if we don't get any production out of our #3 WR spot this season - or if Terry Glenn goes down at the #2 WR spot and his fill-in provides little production there - because Key is no longer a #1 WR.

The Panthers also didn't sign him to be the #1 WR because they already have Steve Smith there. They signed Key to be the #2 WR and we couldn't match that offer because we mainly needed him for #3 WR duties and that's all we were going to pay him for. We simply lost him i the roster/numbers/salary-cap game.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
"Hey, Keyshawn," says a bearded man holding various paraphernalia to be autographed.

Good luck getting Key to sign .....he was the hardest autograph I ever received.....he is so full of himself.

Reaction score
The Cowboys won't miss Keyshawn and his 5.0 speed LMAO!! I'll take T.O. thanks... Proof is when you hear Big Bill saying he brings more speed to the edges.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Best of luck to Keyshawn.

One of those guys that I did not want the team to sign but he changed my opinion on him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Best of luck to Keyshawn.

One of those guys that I did not want the team to sign but he changed my opinion on him.

Myself I will say I had less doubt about him than TO just because I knew going into the deal that Key has a lot of respect for Parcells.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
I hated to see Key let go. He made some very tough & critical catches for us.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
When there were people wanting us to sign Keyshawn several years ago I was against it but after Parcells came here I thought it was a good idea and it turned out to be excellent for us. He was a very good teammate and helped our running game quite a bit with his downfield blocking (a highly underrated contribution).

I would rather have kept him than sign Owens but they didn't ask me what I thought so we have what we have.

Keyshawn is in a very good situation with Carolina. They have a solid team with good RBs and one of the best WRs opposite him in Steve Smith. The Panthers will utilize Keyshawn's skills to their fullest advantage almost as a 2nd TE rather than a WR except that he won't be asked to take on DEs or LBs on a regular basis. But he will be looked at on 3rd downs and for his downfield blocking.

John Fox is an excellent coach IMO and will make good use of Keyshawn for the remainder of his career.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80 said:
The Cowboys won't miss Keyshawn and his 5.0 speed LMAO!! I'll take T.O. thanks... Proof is when you hear Big Bill saying he brings more speed to the edges.

So much proof that we were trying hard to re-sign him even after the TO signing perhaps?

Parcells is on record about how he feels about KJ on the football field. I don't think that the statements coming out of Dallas in the past week or the fact that we tried so hard to bring him back in support this position. JMO.

pancakeman

Reaction score
THUMPER said:
He was a very good teammate and helped our running game quite a bit with his downfield blocking (a highly underrated contribution).
:signmast: yup - look for him in the video in the JuJo thread. Great to see them cruising into the secondary, Julius dancing behind Keyshawn. I suspect JJ was sad to see Key go.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
pancakeman said:
:signmast: yup - look for him in the video in the JuJo thread. Great to see them cruising into the secondary, Julius dancing behind Keyshawn. I suspect JJ was sad to see Key go.

I may not be a fan of TO but I will say TO does a good job of blocking down field as well.

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
So much proof that we were trying hard to re-sign him even after the TO signing perhaps?

Parcells is on record about how he feels about KJ on the football field. I don't think that the statements coming out of Dallas in the past week or the fact that we tried so hard to bring him back in support this position. JMO.

Dallas didn't make a hard push to resign Johnson, if they wanted him back it could have happen. ;)

StevenOtero

Reaction score
JakeCamp12 said:
I would have liked to have kept Key also, I have a lot of respect for him for the time he put in here. He was a true professional...

Truedat. But for some reason now I want us to beat the crap out of Carolina. October 29th couldn't come any sooner. :D