Article- Miami might trade No. 2 pick (Ricky and Mario talk too)

k19

Reaction score
Posted on Tue, Apr. 05, 2005

R E L A T E D C O N T E N T

DOLPHINS NOTEBOOK

Miami might trade No. 2 pick
BY ARMANDO SALGUERO

asalguero@herald.com

The Dolphins are willing to trade the second overall pick in the coming NFL draft, a fact two league sources say is getting around because Miami personnel people are saying as much in conversations with peers from other teams.

According to two NFC personnel sources, the Dolphins have made it clear they would welcome trade overtures that would allow them to drop down in the draft's first round in exchange for multiple picks.

One of the sources said he knows of no team that is eager to trade up to Miami's spot now, but said that might be because the April 23-24 draft still is too far in the future. Dolphins coach Nick Saban was unavailable for comment Monday, but last week addressed the possibility of trading the pick.

''There is a level of compensation that may make it more attractive not to pick there,'' Saban said. ``But we don't control that. It's not like we can just dial it up and do what we want to do. Somebody has got to want to do that as well. So when you ask me what we're going to do, we're going to do what's best from a long-term value orientation for this organization.''

Saban said the club has a chart that suggests what type of compensation Miami should get for moving down in the draft. The coach said he would follow that chart strictly in forging a trade.

The reason the Dolphins are practically inviting trade offers is two-fold. Saban has made it clear the team has multiple areas that need addressing while lamenting he doesn't have enough picks to fill those needs.

The Dolphins traded away several picks last year, including their second-rounder to Philadelphia for quarterback A.J. Feeley.

Secondly, the top half of the draft is not considered especially strong. Several NFL coaches and personnel men believe the players in the middle of the first round through the second round might offer as much quality as players in the first dozen picks.

Saban said the Dolphins would align their draft board this week and set their draft strategy next week.

PLAYING WITH RICKY
Former Auburn running back Ronnie Brown, who might be Saban's pick if he keeps the second overall selection, would love to play for the Dolphins -- even if Ricky Williams is on the team.

''I would definitely be excited to play with him,'' Brown said Monday during an Internet chat on ESPN.com. ``I would like to learn as much about football as I can from him. He had a great impact on the NFL.''

CORNERBACK SIGNED

The Dolphins signed free agent cornerback Mario Edwards to a one-year contract Monday. Edwards, 29, has played with Dallas and Tampa Bay.

Edwards' addition might be another sign the Dolphins expect to trade cornerback Patrick Surtain, likely to Kansas City. The Chiefs have offered the Dolphins a fourth-round pick for Surtain, but the Dolphins want a second or third-round selection.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› said:
Posted on Tue, Apr. 05, 2005

R E L A T E D C O N T E N T

DOLPHINS NOTEBOOK

Miami might trade No. 2 pick
BY ARMANDO SALGUERO

asalguero@herald.com

The Dolphins are willing to trade the second overall pick in the coming NFL draft, a fact two league sources say is getting around because Miami personnel people are saying as much in conversations with peers from other teams.

According to two NFC personnel sources, the Dolphins have made it clear they would welcome trade overtures that would allow them to drop down in the draft's first round in exchange for multiple picks.

One of the sources said he knows of no team that is eager to trade up to Miami's spot now, but said that might be because the April 23-24 draft still is too far in the future. Dolphins coach Nick Saban was unavailable for comment Monday, but last week addressed the possibility of trading the pick.

''There is a level of compensation that may make it more attractive not to pick there,'' Saban said. ``But we don't control that. It's not like we can just dial it up and do what we want to do. Somebody has got to want to do that as well. So when you ask me what we're going to do, we're going to do what's best from a long-term value orientation for this organization.''

Saban said the club has a chart that suggests what type of compensation Miami should get for moving down in the draft. The coach said he would follow that chart strictly in forging a trade.

The reason the Dolphins are practically inviting trade offers is two-fold. Saban has made it clear the team has multiple areas that need addressing while lamenting he doesn't have enough picks to fill those needs.

The Dolphins traded away several picks last year, including their second-rounder to Philadelphia for quarterback A.J. Feeley.

Secondly, the top half of the draft is not considered especially strong. Several NFL coaches and personnel men believe the players in the middle of the first round through the second round might offer as much quality as players in the first dozen picks.

Saban said the Dolphins would align their draft board this week and set their draft strategy next week.

PLAYING WITH RICKY
Former Auburn running back Ronnie Brown, who might be Saban's pick if he keeps the second overall selection, would love to play for the Dolphins -- even if Ricky Williams is on the team.

''I would definitely be excited to play with him,'' Brown said Monday during an Internet chat on ESPN.com. ``I would like to learn as much about football as I can from him. He had a great impact on the NFL.''

CORNERBACK SIGNED

The Dolphins signed free agent cornerback Mario Edwards to a one-year contract Monday. Edwards, 29, has played with Dallas and Tampa Bay.

Edwards' addition might be another sign the Dolphins expect to trade cornerback Patrick Surtain, likely to Kansas City. The Chiefs have offered the Dolphins a fourth-round pick for Surtain, but the Dolphins want a second or third-round selection.

Bet your arse he made an impact!!!