ARTICLE: NFL May Curtail Touchdown Celebrations

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Link

Update 4: NFL May Curtail Touchdown Celebrations
By BARRY WILNER 03.28.2006, 04:56 AM
Associated Press

Bad news might be on the horizon for Terrell Owens, Chad Johnson and the other purveyors of outrageous touchdown celebrations.

The NFL's competition committee is proposing a crackdown on rocking the baby, teeing off like Tiger and anything else that might be considered taunting.

This isn't particularly new. The league has smacked down celebrators who went over the top before. Remember T.O.'s dancing on the Dallas star in Texas Stadium? Or Johnson revealing a small sign asking not to be fined by commissioner Paul Tagliabue?

Or, of course, Joe Horn's hidden cell phone trick in New Orleans?

But committee chairmen Jeff Fisher, coach of the Tennessee Titans, and Rich McKay, general manger of the Atlanta Falcons, believe enforcement hasn't been strict enough recently.

"Individual celebration was getting out of hand," Fisher said Monday at the NFL meetings. "The players' association was unanimous in wanting to get this under control."

So spiking the ball in the end zone will be OK. And spinning it on the ground, or dunking it over the goalpost. Dancing in the end zone is fine, too, as long as it's not prolonged or a group effort.

Almost all other celebrations will be out if the committee's recommendation to clamp down further on the frivolities is passed by the owners.

The new emphasis on unsportsmanlike conduct penalties will call for a 15-yard mark-off on the ensuing kickoff against the offending team, and possible fines.

Players can't use props for any celebrations, and they can't be on the ground when they do their thing. Asked what happens if a player is tackled in the end zone and begins celebrating while down, Fisher said it would be a penalty.

"Get up and dance," he said, prompting laughter at a news conference.

"If they go to the ground to score and feel compelled to do something, get up!" McKay added.

"We've allowed those things to creep back. They are not necessary and should not be allowed."

The committee also will suggest:
  • Down by contact calls be subject to instant replay review, a proposal that was voted down last year. Currently, a play is dead once the whistle blows and the ballcarrier is ruled down by the officials. McKay said that last season there were 18 to 20 plays when the ball came out of a player's grasp before he was ruled down. The proposed change would allow any turnover to stand if replay showed the ball came loose before the whistle. No subsequent runbacks with the ball would count, however.
  • Modifying illegal procedure to allow receivers to flinch if they get back into position before the play and the defense doesn't react to the move.
  • Toughening enforcement on pass rushers who hit quarterbacks below the knees, as long as the defensive players could have avoided making the hit. One play that didn't prompt such a point of emphasis, McKay said, was in last year's playoffs on Cincinnati's Carson Palmer by Kimo von Oelhoffen, then with Pittsburgh, that severely injured Palmer's knee. McKay said it was clear von Oelhoffen didn't make any intentional move to hit Palmer, but simply rolled into the quarterback.
  • Just like quarterbacks, one defensive player might be allowed direct communication with the coaches next season. The committee will recommend that a defense has the same option as an offense in that area. As of now, quarterbacks get instructions through a small speaker in the helmet until there are 15 seconds remaining on the play clock. "We hope to get away from offenses - I don't want to say stealing, so borrowing - signals from the sideline (for defenses)," McKay said.

Also this week, Tagliabue plans to begin the process of selecting his successor, although he wasn't certain Monday when a committee will be established to begin the search.

Nor did the owners seem in a hurry.

"It's not a race for speed, it's a race for success," said Jeffrey Lurie, the owner of the Philadelphia Eagles. "This is the CEO of a 32-team operation, so it's not the speed, it's the quality."

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed​

Hoov

Reaction score
Booo. i like players getting fired up and celebrating. i think blatant taunting should be a penalty, but taking away celebrations is going too far.

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
I like the defensive helmet thing. I always thought that that was an advantage for the offense when they already have too many advantages as it is.

parcells4prez

Reaction score
Hoov said:
Booo. i like players getting fired up and celebrating. i think blatant taunting should be a penalty, but taking away celebrations is going too far.

I agree. As long as there are no props or prolonged celebrations, I'm all for the players having fun. They would have to change this now that the Boyz have Owens. :mad:

I also don't like the rule allowing receivers to flinch. Wide receivers have enough of an advantage over cornerbacks as is.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Hoov said:

Guys can spike the ball, dunk the ball over the goal post they can spin the ball in the endzone but a lot of this other crud needs to come to an end. It is not celebrating it is scripted non-sense to draw attention to themselfs and that has gone way to far with cell phones under the goal post or sharpie pens in the socks. After all for that 1 guy to get that TD 10 other guys had to do their job

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I am not a conspiracy kinda guy ..... but it does seem odd that they decide to do this when we sign T.O. ................

seems to me to be another
Emmitt rule or
Eric Williams rule or
Row williams rule

ect ect

Doomsday101

Reaction score
zrinkill said:
I am not a conspiracy kinda guy ..... but it does seem odd that they decide to do this when we sign T.O. ................

Emmitt rule or
Eric Williams rule or
Row williams rule

ect ect

I don't think this is directed strickly at TO, Chad Johnson I think angered many of the NFL heads with some of his antics and some of these rules have already been in place such as the situation with Props (cell phone) which was used by Joe Horn. If the NFL does not put a halt to some of this it will continue to get worse as guys will continue to push the limit.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
zrinkill said:

Emmitt rule or
Eric Williams rule or
Row williams rule

ect ect
:hammer:

No Fun League is in full effect.

sacase

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Guys can spike the ball, dunk the ball over the goal post they can spin the ball in the endzone but a lot of this other crud needs to come to an end. It is not celebrating it is scripted non-sense to draw attention to themselfs and that has gone way to far with cell phones under the goal post or sharpie pens in the socks. After all for that 1 guy to get that TD 10 other guys had to do their job

I really think you would enjoy college football more. College is about sportsmanship. The NFL is about entertainment. I

enjoy the touchdown celabrations, I don't care who is doing them. However I do think props and taunting in another players face is going to far.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
sacase said:
I really think you would enjoy college football more. College is about sportsmanship. The NFL is about entertainment. I

enjoy the touchdown celabrations, I don't care who is doing them. However I do think props and taunting in another players face is going to far.

I do enjoy watching college football. The NFL is still about the game of football and guys acting like a bunch of *** is not entertaining in my opinion and evidently not in the opinion of those who run the NFL which is why they are putting the clamps on this BS. Go watch Dancing with the Stars if you watching football players dance excites you. I watch football for well football imagin that

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
And I thought the fun part was the game itself?
Of course the game is fun and so are the celebrations. Whether you like it or not the NFL charm and success stems from the antics and charisma of the players.

Obviously you don't agree with celebrations and I do, so we will have to agree to disagree.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
adbutcher said:
Of course the game is fun and so are the celebrations. Whether you like it or not the NFL charm and success stems from the antics and charisma of the players.

Obviously you don't agree with celebrations and I do, so we will have to agree to disagree.

I don't have a problem with celebration but the fact is some guys in the league have gone overboard and all this rule is doing is addressing that. They are not saying you can't spike the ball or dunk the ball over the goal post, high five a teammate what they are talking about is the props, the running out to mid-field so how your getting they are stopping celebrations I don't quite understand all they are talking about is some of these staged antics

sacase

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I don't have a problem with celebration but the fact is some guys in the league have gone overboard and all this rule is doing is addressing that. They are not saying you can't spike the ball or dunk the ball over the goal post, high five a teammate what they are talking about is the props, the running out to mid-field so how your getting they are stopping celebrations I don't quite understand all they are talking about is some of these staged antics

They already don't allow that, so what's new?

You must be a real bore to be around.

parcells4prez

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I do enjoy watching college football. The NFL is still about the game of football and guys acting like a bunch of *** is not entertaining in my opinion and evidently not in the opinion of those who run the NFL which is why they are putting the clamps on this BS. Go watch Dancing with the Stars if you watching football players dance excites you. I watch football for well football imagin that

And those that run the NFL are a bunch old, stuffy men, that wouldn't know how to have fun aboard the "Love Boat" on Lake Minnetonka.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Chad: Rules can't stop me
Committee recommends crackdown on TD celebrations
BY MARK CURNUTTE | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

ORLANDO, Fla. - The chairmen of the NFL's rules committee, otherwise known as the competition committee, said Monday the league will enforce rules that limit end-zone celebrations.

"We feel the individual celebration is on the verge of getting out of hand," Tennessee coach Jeff Fisher said in a briefing on changes the committee will propose to ownership during the annual meeting.

The point of emphasis, Fisher said, "Would prohibit going to the ground to celebrate; forbid using the ball as a prop or anything else. You can still spike, dunk (or) spin the football."

The penalty would be 15 yards on the ensuing kickoff.
A vote on the recommendations by the 32 owners is expected Wednesday.

Hello, Chad Johnson.

"I went on the ground once and used a prop once," Johnson told The Enquirer on Monday night.

Asked if he would be limited, he said, "Of course you cannot stop someone as creative as me. How can this bother someone as creative as me?"

Johnson did pushups in the end zone at Chicago's Soldier Field after a 40-yard touchdown pass from Carson Palmer.
Johnson grabbed the pylon and putted the football - a la Tiger Woods, replete with first pump - following a 54-yard touchdown reception from Palmer against the Baltimore Ravens at Paul Brown Stadium.

Prolonged celebrations also would draw a flag.
"At some point there has to be a line," said the committee's co-chair, Rich McKay, Falcons general manager.

Johnson's response: "Tell the competition committee that Chad said you can't cover 85, and there's no way you can stop him from entertaining."​

Hoov

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:

There have been a few times that players have gone overboard, but a lot of things that are pretty mild are being flagged.

What has happened to the rule of reason or just common sense. It should be pretty obvious to any official if a player is celebrating or taunting in a menacing way. Is the players actions directed toward the crowd, or directed blatantly at an opposing player.

So a few players put on a show for us after scoring, most of the fans like it, those that dont can just ignore the celebration, what does it last for anyway 3-4 seconds and its over. A little showmanship isnt going to hurt anyone.

Hoov

Reaction score
parcells4prez said:
And those that run the NFL are a bunch old, stuffy men, that wouldn't know how to have fun aboard the "Love Boat" on Lake Minnetonka.

Right on....we need some young blood in there

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
California quake ring a bell? What about the fun bunch? Ickey shuffle? Irving's first down point? Dieon's Prime Time Strut? My point is that the NFL always had celebrations outside of spiking the football or high fives. It was entertaining then and it is entertaining now, imo. When Chad Johnson broke out the river dance I almost split my side laughing so hard and when TO did Ray Ray's dance after scoring I thought that was very creative as well.

Oh well, I guess when you get older you loose site of what was fun.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
sacase said:
They already don't allow that, so what's new?

You must be a real bore to be around.

No just grown up and not some little kid who gets his rocks off by watching grown men acting like idiots. All that is different is the refs are being told to enforce the rule a bit more strictly