Article-Rambo's close call

k19

Reaction score
Rambo's close call

The bullet that ripped through Ken-Yon Rambo's side, narrowly missing his spine, created more than just physical scars.

The Calgary Stampeders receiver points to the wound as a constant reminder of how lucky he is be alive, enjoying full use of his arms and legs every day on the football field.

"I've been through it all. I've been through a lot of stuff and that's just a little piece of it," acknowledges the Long Beach, Calif., native, insisting his old neighbourhood and its inherent dangers isn't a topic he enjoys discussing.

"In my area it was a little different but it's cool. You've just got your bad areas. That's how it goes down there.

"I don't like talking about it but I always keep it in the back of my mind."

Rambo, 26, was shot before his senior year of high school when reportedly approached by two men he suspected wanted to steal his car. While speeding from the scene, a bullet shattered the driver's window before piercing his side, stopping just inches from his spine.

Rambo raced for help before being rushed to hospital where doctors performed a life-saving operation to remove the slug that almost paralysed him.

"The bullet was close to hitting a lot of things," Rambo recalls of his brush with death. "It was like three inches from my spine and it makes you think about a lot of things. Makes you appreciate life, just being able to walk around and move my arms and legs. I praise God for that. It changed my life."

Named by his mother and aunt, 'Ken-Yon' stands for African Warrior, something he still relates to as a survivor on and off the football field.

At the time of the shooting, Rambo was regarded as one of the top receiving prospects in the U.S., a consensus All-American and All-State selection at Long Beach Polytechnic high school.

He was rated the top receiver in the country as a senior after catching a school-record 79 passes for 1,096 yards and 17 TDs. Living up to that promise in college, Rambo finished eighth on Ohio State's all-time reception list with 106 career catches, in an elite class with the likes of fellow Buckeyes Cris Carter and Joey Galloway.

An off-field incident involving a misdemeanor marijuana possession charge almost led to his suspension from college, although he rebounded in his senior year to lead Ohio State with 51 grabs for 729 yards.

After being drafted into the NFL by the Oakland Raiders in 2001, Rambo was released only to wind up with the Dallas Cowboys. The following year he met another receiver, Jeremaine Copeland, who signed as an option-year player after two seasons in Montreal. Copeland eventually returned to the Alouettes but not until he and Rambo had developed a tight bond on and off the field.

They've been reunited in Stampeders camp and have already been fine-tuning a touchdown dance routine, something Copeland had plenty of chances to practice in Montreal's productive offence.

"Me and Rambo became good friends, real close on the field and off the field," says Copeland, tagged 'Cope' by his pass-catching colleagues. "He can groove a little bit, we've just got to get him on the right steps. When he practises his moves we've got to get him co-ordinated and we're trying to get him right. We'll have it right before the season starts."

Rambo was up to speed on Copeland, a former Tennessee Volunteer, well before he also landed in Dallas.

"I knew of him before the Cowboys, when he was with Tennessee," Rambo recalls. "He was a great athlete there, made great plays and they won the national championship there.

"I finally had the pleasure of meeting him when he got to the Cowboys. It was good to see him again when I got up here, which made it better to arrive here and know somebody up here."

An apparent lock to earn a starting role among the Stampeders' high-octane receiving corps, Rambo is careful to not look beyond the last cuts June 18 but already is catching Cope's dance fever.

"I'm not too much of a dancer but I'll have to get with it," says a laughing Rambo, who will likely also get a shot at the endzone on kickoff and punt returns.

So far, his first experience in Canada has been positive. He should play a key role in the Stampeders aerial attack, quarterbacked by Henry Burris.

"I like it and I'm learning the game, although it's a little bit different up here, I like it," Rambo says. "It's an offensive game which is great for me. I just need to come out and try to make some plays and get to the Grey Cup, step by step."

Much like learning Copeland's touchdown dance moves

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
I always liked Rambo at Ohio State but he just never could seem to put it together when he was with 'The Boys.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
It seems like a nightmare thinking back to those Campo teams with Rambo and Copeland. *Shudder*

jem88

Reaction score
The number of ex-Cowboy receivers in the CFL is astounding. Last I checked (which wasn't all that recently to be honest), the following clowns were plying their trade up here: Chris Brazzell (once predicted by Ben in Austin to become the best #3 WR in the NFL), Coupland and Rambo, Ed Hervey, Jason Tucker and Wane McGarrity. Anybody know (or care) about any others?

jcblanco22

Reaction score
jem88 said:
The number of ex-Cowboy receivers in the CFL is astounding. Last I checked (which wasn't all that recently to be honest), the following clowns were plying their trade up here: Chris Brazzell (once predicted by Ben in Austin to become the best #3 WR in the NFL), Coupland and Rambo, Ed Hervey, Jason Tucker and Wane McGarrity. Anybody know (or care) about any others?

Funny enough jem, I was just browsing this year's Street and Smith's preview mag today and was checking that very thing out in their CFL preview section. Copeland and Rambo are pretty big stars up there. John Avery, a Cowboy for a brief time, also led the CFL in rushing a couple of seasons back.

I think Bashir Yamini is also up there somewhere.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So we can draft great CFL WR's? Any wonder why I am rooting for Copper and Crayton big time? We need to develop our own late draft pick and undrafted free agent WR's. Our track record isn't all that great which is another reason I didn't want to get one early last April. Since we will probably draft one early next April, I really hope we have a by plan.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
jem88 said:

I don’t know why you keep calling them clowns? Fault those who evaluate talent not those individuals. As far as I know, they did their best but their best was not good enough.

KDWilliams85

Reaction score
DB.COOPER said:
I don’t know why you keep calling them clowns? Fault those who evaluate talent not those individuals. As far as I know, they did their best but their best was not good enough.

I'm inclined to agree. The complex of the ordinary fan is just flat out condescending. All the players can do is their best. So what if it wasn't good enough in the eyes of the fan. The fans, in reality, don't really even matter.

They took a chance in the NFL and it didn't come out their way. It happens. If they find success somewhere, then nobody has the right to call them a clown because of a preconceptualized scale that nobody other than their coach is supposed to have.

jcblanco22

Reaction score
KDWilliams85 said:
I'm inclined to agree. The complex of the ordinary fan is just flat out condescending. All the players can do is their best. So what if it wasn't good enough in the eyes of the fan. The fans, in reality, don't really even matter.

They took a chance in the NFL and it didn't come out their way. It happens. If they find success somewhere, then nobody has the right to call them a clown because of a preconceptualized scale that nobody other than their coach is supposed to have.

I always thought Copeland in particular had a spot somewhere in the NFL, even if it wasn't here in Big D. Just seemed to catch everything in sight and had the right attitude. That broken collarbone in the '01 camp killed some solid momentum he had going that summer.

Spurs21Cowboys22

Reaction score
jem88 said:

Wane is pretty cool. Last I talked with him, he was thinking of trying one more time for the NFL, but said if he didn't that he was happy in the CFL. He used to play for the same team that Rambo and Copeland now play for. He signed with Winnipeg in the offseason. He likes to talk trash about playing Madden too lol

jem88

Reaction score
KDWilliams85 said:

Oh you're inclined to agree are you? Well how about sparing me the righteousness? First of all, if the fans don't really matter, then who does? Without fan support, none of those guys would be playing football. As well, I couldn't really care less about how hard they tried. All I care about is results. And it cuts both ways, as I don't hold anything against players with bad attitudes, again as long as they get it done.

Brazzell, McGarritty (nice guy though he might be), Tucker and the rest of those man-servants simply weren't deserving of wearing the star.

Nightshade

Reaction score
jem88 said:
Tucker and the rest of those man-servants simply weren't deserving of wearing the star.

So they're man-servants and clowns because they couldn't make the team? When I read this opinion I thought maybe the 88 represented you're birthday. But I clicked you're profile and you're 30!??! :eek:

So to have such little respect for guys who were all able to make the Cowboys, even during the 5-11 years, you must be an NFL reciever of some note. Come on man tell us what team you play for.

jem88

Reaction score
Nightshade said:
So they're man-servants and clowns because they couldn't make the team? When I read this opinion I thought maybe the 88 represented you're birthday. But I clicked you're profile and you're 30!??! :eek:

So to have such little respect for guys who were all able to make the Cowboys, even during the 5-11 years, you must be an NFL reciever of some note. Come on man tell us what team you play for.
As I said before, there's a serious need to scale back the righteousness around here. However flattering it might be that you've been checking out my profile, I think you'd do better to focus inwardly and stop taking yourself so seriously. Should we all get up in arms the next time some writes "Vincy Interceptaverde"? And it must be killing you to witness all those deeply personal insults being hurled at Mike Zimmer. You should share some of your holier-than-thou wisdom with the likes of Hollywood Henderson, Wolverine, and dbair. I'm sure they'll be grateful for the enlightenment.

wxcpo

Reaction score
DB.COOPER said:

It's just too bad that none of us are even close to be as good as those "clowns" because then we could all say at one time we got to wear the uniform and be a member of the Dallas Cowboys. I think fans forget that when they judge players, they forget that those players have more ability then most fans ever had. There's a reason why we're fans and not players.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
jem88 said:
As I said before, there's a serious need to scale back the righteousness around here. However flattering it might be that you've been checking out my profile, I think you'd do better to focus inwardly and stop taking yourself so seriously. Should we all get up in arms the next time some writes "Vincy Interceptaverde"? And it must be killing you to witness all those deeply personal insults being hurled at Mike Zimmer. You should share some of your holier-than-thou wisdom with the likes of Hollywood Henderson, Wolverine, and dbair. I'm sure they'll be grateful for the enlightenment.

Well if you pay attention around here and stop calling players in the NFL the rare few that do amke it to the NFL clowns you would see the "righteousness" around here, what you consider "righteousness" we consider standing up for players and coaches thatare falsly accused of things. Your calling NFL players that dont make clowns, is idiotic and show your level intelligence, many players try for the NFL and many players dont amke it, not because there clowns but because they arent good enough to play in the NFL, so untill you put on the pads and go out there and make an NFL team, you dont have the right to call anybody former NFL player clown,

now has that for your "righteousness"?

jem88

Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
Well if you pay attention around here and stop calling players in the NFL the rare few that do amke it to the NFL clowns you would see the "righteousness" around here, what you consider "righteousness" we consider standing up for players and coaches thatare falsly accused of things. Your calling NFL players that dont make clowns, is idiotic and show your level intelligence, many players try for the NFL and many players dont amke it, not because there clowns but because they arent good enough to play in the NFL, so untill you put on the pads and go out there and make an NFL team, you dont have the right to call anybody former NFL player clown,

now has that for your "righteousness"?
Well after trying to decipher what exactly it was that you just tried to say, I'll stick to the point I made previously, which was that I hope to see the self-appointed morality watchdogs apply their holier-than-thou attitude the next time somebody criticizes Vinny Testeverde or Tony Dixon.