ARTICLE: Reason Pats didn't franchise Vinatieri...

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
Coach Bill Belichick said the team didn't franchise Adam Vinatieri because of the uncertaininty surround the CBA.

"I don't know what we're working with [financially]. Until that's defined, it seems like an exercise in futility," Belichick said Thursday. ''In a way, then, we've tried to put more of our time and energy into football and the draft, the known quantities, rather than work on contracts and you don't know what the system is going to be."

Feb. 24 - 8:51 am et
Source: Boston Globe

for more updates visit http://gryphononcowboys.blogspot.com/

THE GRYPHON

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
I think they all know a deal will get done soon with the CBA but it is a convenient vehicle to use as an excuse to get rid of a high priced vet who obviously would be popular with their fan base.
The way BP coaches leads to a lot of the type of games we played this year that went down to the wire and Vinateri would be a big acquisition for us.

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
Thread taken from a Pats forum on the Vinatieri to Dallas theory:

I believe Drew might have cost them a couple of games as well.

I would certainly hope the Pats do not make any personnel decisions based on what Bill Parcells may or may not do. And if Parcells wants to pay AV some ridiculous amount of money to go down here, I wish AV good luck. I doubt he'll make much of a difference to them; he's a great kicker, but they'd still be hamstrung by having Drew at QB.

Why does everyone assume AV will automatically go to Dallas? He kicked one season for Parcells, 10 years ago. They're not old friends. If AV leaves he will take the best deal on the table.
-------------------------------
No doubt that Ole Drew cost them games. But, if memory serves, the kicking game directly impacted them on more than one occasion, too. Ironically, José Cortez missed a 29-yarder in the Seattle game (Drew throwing that last second pick was the ultimate knife), and they lost 13-10. And, they lost to Denver 24-21, and Billy Cundiff missed a 34-yarder in that game.

As for the Dallas connection, AV, according to what's been said, has maintained an off-the-field relationship with Parcells and they've kept in contact. If you look back, that's classic Parcells - sort of like the Blues Brothers ("we're getting the band back together").

AV's accomplishments are legendary. Plus, Jerry Jones is a colossal opportunist - he absolutely adores what the Krafts have done with the franchise (JJ and RK are good friends). Bringing AV in the fold gives the 'Boys something they haven't had in a good long while. Bottom line, AV's resume speaks for itself.

Hey, who really knows what's going to happen. I'd love to seem the Pats re-sign AV to a four-year deal worth $9 or $10 million. Seeing him with a star on his helmet - especially after his greatest tackle ever came against the 'Boys - (or any other team for that matter) wouldn't look right.
--------------------------------------------
The only reason Vinatieri would sign with Dallas is if they offer the most money. A possible secondary reason would be extending his career by playing in a warmer climate. But if this is truly a factor, then a dome team offering the most money would have the advantage over Dallas.

Even if we were to believe Vinatieri and Parcells forged some special bond as a result of their one year together, I have a tough time believing that would trump: 1. the bonds he has with his current teammates and coaches; 2. the higher probability of adding future rings and maybe even getting into the HOF as a result of playing alongside Brady rather than Bledsoe; and 3. the endorsements, TV deals and folk legendry he'd achieve by finishing his career with the Pats.

No, if he goes to Dallas, it'll be because they're the highest bidder. And if that happens, good for Adam. But let's not make believe it's some great friendship with Parcells that makes or breaks this thing.
------------------------------------------
Agreed.

In addition to Parcells' familiarity with AV and his body of work, though, Dallas has a definite need and the open-to-buy on their cap credit card.

See below - the Cowboys are about $3M below the cap:
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...olds022006.htm

The thing that I've learned, though, about Parcells is that familiarity-pretty-much-guarantees-future-employment. We've all seen it firsthand with the signings of Myron Guyton, Adrian White, Reyna Thompson, Bobby Abrams, Steve DeOssie and Dave Meggett when he came from the Giants. Then the same was true when Parcells & Co. went to the Jets (Curtis Martin, etc). And, to a lesser degree when he went to the Cowboys (Drew Bledsoe, Terry Glenn and Richie Anderson). That's his modus operandi - not only does he like to shop for the groceries, he likes to sift through his former employer's cupboard, too.

Your point is well-taken, though. Thanks.