Article - Storm delay can't cool off Grunewald (Romo Blurb)

k19

Reaction score
Storm delay can't cool off Grunewald

By CHARLES POLANSKY

STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

WHITNEY - Mother Nature threw Kelly Grunewald a changeup Wednesday afternoon in the form of a 3-hour, 51-minute weather delay. Like the champion he is, Grunewald smacked it out of the park.

After waiting out the rain and lightning, Grunewald sank a 2 1/2 -foot birdie putt on the second hole of the New Course at White Bluff Resort and was off and running again.

With three holes to play in the second round at the Texas State Open, the Grand Prairie resident is 5 under for the round. Grunewald broke the course record with a 62 in Tuesday's first round and is 14 under overall.

"It was a long, boring day," Grunewald said. "You're in and out. You come in and sit for 3 1/2 hours and go back out and try to get back in a groove. We went back out and I had that little tap-in so I could start on a positive note. I was just trying to stay out of my own way."

Once the storms blew through, the conditions calmed considerably and Grunewald took advantage.

"There was not a breath of wind," said Grunewald, who didn't make a bogey until the 15th hole, the final hole.

He is five shots clear of Ron Whittaker and amateur Jhonattan Vegas, who have the lowest posted 36-hole totals (9-under 133). One shot behind them is Ryan Blagg of Mansfield, who shot 69.

"The sure thing is that I don't have to get up early and play more holes than anyone else [today]," said Blagg, who was back at his hotel resting by the time play resumed at 5:35 p.m.

"I'm glad I don't have to get involved in that."Thirty-seven players have yet to complete the second round, which will resume at noon today.

Approximately 90 minutes after the second round concludes, the third round will begin.

Defending champion Mark Walker of Fort Worth, who shot 75 in the first round and said he wasn't playing well coming into this week, withdrew after nine holes.

Tony Romo, who shot 71 in Tuesday's first round, was forced to withdraw before play resumed because he had to attend a Dallas Cowboys' function.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well at least we know he's not shirking his football duties.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I bet if you added up all of the hours together, over the course of a week Romo probably spends less time playing golf than most of the younger players spend on their PS2 or watching DVD's.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Bungarian said:
Is he really commited to football?

All the players have activities away from the game. The difference between Romo and everyone else is that Romo is good enough at his so that he gets mentioned in newspapers, which get posted on messageboards, which provides fodder for offseason discussion.